Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'd think putting a wine bar in Buda would be like putting one in Hutto. Just not the right time for either town. Although, if there were one here, I'd go to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
You know, I hadn't thought of Hutto, and I'm not quite sure why not.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I like wine and drinking in general, but have never seen a "wine bar" in Austin or the outlying areas that wasn't primarily to get around the "anti liquor sales, i.e. Wimberley etc. You probably need to look into those issues as they will make a huge difference regarding where you want to invest.
There are tons of wine bars in Austin, and I don't think they exist to get around any liquor laws. Off 360 in W/SW Austin there is the Grove, and another one off Barton Creek Rd (can't remember the name)... there are multiple locations of Water to Wine, and the Grapevine markets have winebars. So do Central Market and Whole Foods. There is Enoteca Vespaio on S. Congress, Malaga downtown, and those are just two of many in those areas.

I agree with THL, also, that Dripping Springs would have the clientele and demand for a wine bar; although I think I've seen a couple there. I know they are in Wimberly and Driftwood. The wineries towards Fredericksburg have wine bars or tasting rooms.

There is a lot of competition; but I suspect there is a lot of demand, too, especially with all the CA transplants. You should check out the Grove as a model for success. That place is full more often than not, and it's in Westlake which is traditionally not a great spot for restaurants or bars.

Were you planning on serving food? I think a great concept would be wine and BBQ! I went to a wine tasting at the County Line once, and it is surprisingly a great combination. Regardless, I'd suggest including a nice outdoor space with plenty of shade -- people here love to drink/eat outside.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Regardless, I'd suggest including a nice outdoor space with plenty of shade -- people here love to drink/eat outside.
I wish someone would do that with the vineyard on hwy 183 between Leander and Cedar Park. We used to take out of town guests there for wine tastings and to buy wine. It closed several years ago and has been sitting neglected. I think it was just ahead of its time...the area has really grown since then. It would also make a great place for outdoor weddings.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
That's true, that would be a great place if it was re-opened. And the area is definitely growing!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,372 times
Thanks for the responses and ideas, please keep them coming.

As for what kind of wine bar it might be, that's difficult to say. I suppose my focus would be value and over delivering, whether the wine is $4/glass or $24.

I'd aim to make the atmosphere casual so you could unwind after work or on the week end, but nice enough that you'd want to take a date there.

I think that while I'd like to serve food, I'd keep it small. I love the idea of wine and bbq, but with so many good spots around I'd probably get the bbq locally...try to work out some kind of deal. For instance, if the bar was in Dripping Springs I'd probably feature Salt Lick...

Other than that there would probably be a lot of funky (or, should I say off the beaten path) cheeses and small plates. Perhaps sliders as well.

I definitely want to have outside seating, although unless an investor pops up I can pretty much rule out buying the vineyard near Leander.

I'm thinking possibly offering classes, from wine 101 to getting more regionally focused.

What do you guys think a good wine bar needs? Also, do you think there is room for a specialty wine/beer/etc store as well?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 PM

36 posts, read 99,276 times
What is funny is that I moved from the same place and noticed that there was an obvious gap in wine retail/ wine bar market. Apparently everyone else noticed at about that time and now there are many. I always loved the wine place in the meatpacking district and would love something comfortable and stylist based on that place (cannot remember the name- Ara maybe). We are in Bee Cave...

Old 04-13-2009, 04:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I like the value idea -- I can't think of a wine bar around here that is like that. They seem to be more about the higher end wines. However, the specialty beer/wine/etc retail store concept is pretty much addressed here by places like Specs and Grapevine market.

Personally, I think a wine bar needs a food selection, but it can be small... If you end up getting some place outside of town where you have a little extra land, I really like the way Mandola's vineyard is set up. It has some grounds where you can take a bottle of wine and some glasses and stroll around the nicely landscaped grounds and pick a spot among some private shaded tables/benches... or a more communal area if you want to mingle. As far as interior spaces, I really like how Mulberry is laid out (it's in a relatively tiny place at the base of the 360 condo tower downtown). It always seems bustling because it is so small. WiFi would also be nice. Live music is pretty easy to come by in this city, so that might be nice too.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
The Wine Bar here in Steiner Ranch does great business. They have a great selection of wine and beers and wonderful cheese plates and apetizers. The owner is local and has been known to give people rides home at the end of the night. People definitely appreciate the owners involvement in the community. It's called Fion and you can watch a video about them here: Video Something - Fion Wine Pub, Fion, Austin Fion, Beer, Wine, Cigars, Steiner Ranch, Create your own 6 pack, wine beer cigars

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckup View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little help and/or advice...

My wife and I are considering a move to Austin. We currently live in Brooklyn, NY and I work in the wine industry. My wife is from Austin and we have family nearby.

Ideally I'd like to open a store or winebar or both. Do any of you have any ideas for a neighborhood or nearby town that really needs something like that?
A wine bar would be great...Open up a cigar lounge section as well.

South is booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin