Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Well, I'm moving to NYC in 2 weeks after being here since high school and college so, I came up with a top ten list of what i'll miss:

10. Our 2 seasons, Hot and the series cold fronts that we call "Winter". Never extended periods of cold.
9. Overall Safety.
8. Laughing at all of the pseudo-hippies here (Seriously, you have nothing in common with the real hippies of the 60s, except for the BO and long hair)
7. Lake Travis in the Summer
6. Hula Hut and the Oasis
5. Very friendly and laid back population
4. Town Lake (Lady Bird)
3. Texas BBQ
2. Nightlife and the endless amount of hot chicks (eye candy only, i'm married)
1. Tex Mex

I'm excited about NYC but I will miss Austin. Overrated to many, the best city in the world to the others so I came up with another top ten list of things that I won't miss so much.

10. Lack of authentic Chinese food (please don't say PF Changs)
9. Lack of diners (Magnolia comes close though)
8. So-called hypocritical Liberals, Ex: says that it is a progressive city but at the same time gets very nervous around black people.
7. Increasing Pretentiousness aka the SoCal effect is taking over.
6. Increasing Prices across the board on Real Estate (downtown is unaffordable to most..Austonian is ridiculously priced)
5. Unrelenting long and hot summers.
4. Beyond Terrible Drivers
3. Decreasing nightlife options for older than 30 crowd
2. Insufficient Road system-Terrible traffic (IH-35, need I say more)
1. Its no longer the Austin that it used to be.
You could say that last one about any growing city anywhere. If you really don't like change you need to move someplace where the economy isn't growing and new people are not moving in........but I think you would probably get bored in some place like Maine for example. I know people tend to get nostalgic for Austin if they have been here awhile but it would be better if those same folks concentrated on preserving the core attributes that make them want to live here rather than lament that Austin "died" when Liberty Lunch or Armadillo World HQs closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 PM

103 posts, read 304,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post

Traffic in NYC is far worse.
True, but NYC has public transportation to ease those traffic pains. Austin is far from having that convenience.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
Fair enough.

People are way more bigoted in NYC than in Austin against poor minority people. They are just better at hiding it.
I'm sure so but it wasn't my point to compare both cities, to just illustrate Austin this present day.

Pretentiousness in NY is far worse. (I think shallow is the word you're looking for wrt SoCal?)
SoCal=Southern California primarily LA and Orange County, they're moving to Austin in droves and have been for years now. It just seems that Austin is trending toward this pretentious, fakeness like much of SoCal and even Dallas. Obviously NYC will be more pretenious than Austin but again, I wasn't comparing the cities. They are oranges and apples.

Hah! Housing costs in NY are 3x that of Austin but the pay is only 25% better for most jobs. (Add in up to 13% income tax (state+city) rate too.)
You're preaching to the choir.

True.. but the heat and humidity in NY gets very brutal and when all the garbage start to stink, it's really bad.
True, but its only for a few months, not half the year! There is this phenomenon called "Cold Fronts" that tend to spell relief throughout the summer, something that doesn't happen here until October.

Versus being in cattle car subways with stinky winos?
I can move to another subway car,and they are not on every car, you CANNOT avoid crappy drivers in Austin.

This is definitely true! NY, LA, SF are far better places for over 30 (and especially over 40) singles who want a dynamic social life.
Austin is probably "the best" city for a 21-25 year old person hands down.

Traffic in NYC is far worse.
I won't be driving thanks to the subway system. I'll drink with the wino on the way home.

With prosperity comes change. Some good / some bad. Sentiment plays a big role.
Exactly, NYC isn't the same as it was 10 years ago either and people are leaving there for the same reasons why i'm leaving Austin.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 AM

198 posts, read 318,528 times
Traffic here in Austin is a joke. Try living in Southern California with that traffic and zero public transportation. I live in Manor and commute to south austin everyday to work. The commute is nothing and painless compared to what I had to experience in Southern California and Northern California. Have fun trying to afford living in New York City. Rent is insane and quality of living sucks. Sure public transportation is great, but the cost of living is crazy. The heat here is nothing. I used to live in Phoenix before. Try working in 130 degree weather. The dry heat argument is moot when it's that insanely hot. Also, add the smog that Phoenix has been getting lately due to the large growth over the years and you have a hotter type of LA environment XD. I laughed at Austin residents complaining about 100 degree days here. I thought it was a break compared to Phoenix. The only issues I have in Austin are the bugs and allegries, but you have tons of roaches in NYC. Sometimes you don't know what you have until you lose it.

New York City actually gets pretty bad in the summer when it gets hot. Drivers are pretty aggressive there, but honestly in all the cities I have lived in (San Francisco, LA, Phoenix, Austin) Austin drivers are the worst! They are so aggresive here. Sometimes I think it's the transplants bring over their old driving habits over to Austin.

Oh well, hf in NYC .

Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
Traffic here in Austin is a joke. Try living in Southern California with that traffic and zero public transportation. I live in Manor and commute to south austin everyday to work. The commute is nothing and painless compared to what I had to experience in Southern California and Northern California. Have fun trying to afford living in New York City. Rent is insane and quality of living sucks. Sure public transportation is great, but the cost of living is crazy. The heat here is nothing. I used to live in Phoenix before. Try working in 130 degree weather. The dry heat argument is moot when it's that insanely hot. Also, add the smog that Phoenix has been getting lately due to the large growth over the years and you have a hotter type of LA environment XD. I laughed at Austin residents complaining about 100 degree days here. I thought it was a break compared to Phoenix. The only issues I have in Austin are the bugs and allegries, but you have tons of roaches in NYC. Sometimes you don't know what you have until you lose it.

New York City actually gets pretty bad in the summer when it gets hot. Drivers are pretty aggressive there, but honestly in all the cities I have lived in (San Francisco, LA, Phoenix, Austin) Austin drivers are the worst! They are so aggresive here. Sometimes I think it's the transplants bring over their old driving habits over to Austin.

Oh well, hf in NYC .
I would say that NYC summers are worse than austin summers because the subways are so incredibly hot and disgusting. Walking to and from the train you are in the heat for much longer than you would be in austin so it is much less comfortable.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
LA is awful. There is nothing like driving 50 miles and never making it out of the city to make you feel insignificant. Austin is the smallest city I've lived in, and the first city that didn't make me feel like a number. I hope this city can hang on to what it's got before it turns into a SoCal megalopolis.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale123 View Post
For the OP, I lived in Austin for several years, went to school there, etc., and currently in Fort Worth. BTW, someone claimed FW has pseudo cowboys, no such thing; the correct term is "rednecks" nascar lovin, racist, Jerry Springer hateful rednecks! Dallas, is no different, they just pretend that they are not, so they over extend their credit and buy things they can't afford, but no matter, they will always be rednecks. I HATE DFW!!
Oh my... are you suggesting that DFW people aren't perfect You'll get stampeded or be told that they "must be transplants". For what it's worth, I've heard some DFW natives make the very same complaints about other DFW natives

I'll agree with #4 on the list, there is a growing So. Calitude/Dallitude effect in the area

Last edited by nomore07; 04-16-2009 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post

Oh well, hf in NYC .
Lets be honest...ANYPLACE is better driving than southern cal...Calcutta and Mumbai are better driving than southern cal...including the free roaming cattle, rickshaws, and beggers...

Last edited by inthecut; 04-16-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,910 times
Hoboken to 33rd is 15-20 minutes using the PATH.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Lets be honest...ANYPLACE is better driving than southern cal...calcutta and Mumbai are better driving than southern cal...including the free roaming cattle, rickshaws, and beggers...
LOL! There were days in Houston where I got around more easily than in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin