Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,613 times

Advertisements

I lived in Austin for 3 years from 2007-2010. The only things Austin has is Whole Foods, Central Market and Nordsroms. The rest is just hype and just plain out and out untruth. There are not any friendly people. I lived in a 'nice', new neighborhood while in Austin. When I walked, no one would even look at me or speak. The postman told me one day that I was the only person that had even so much as grunted to him. He was moving back to Virginia. The traffic is a bear. The heat is like wearing a fur coat in a fire. And now let's say a little about trying to do business in Austin. Such as putting flooring in your home or finding someone to help you with your a/c or your car. Every business person I met was out to make as much money off you as if you were his very last customer he would ever find in his career therefore he had to make his money. Car places, many,many,many of them are a huge rip-off. If a special is advertised, it was never honored in Austin. There were always stipulations. When you go to a store, such as Texas Lighting on Congress. They are so unkind and unorganized. I ordered my ceiling fans from them. Very, very expensive. They never called me to tell me they had arrived to the store. When I went to pick them up, no one knew where they were. I had to put all my merchandise in my car myself and I had a great deal of stuff. The person that sold the fans to me would not even aknowledge I was in the store. But was all over me when I placed my order. That was just ONE example of how badly treated one is when trying to do business in Austin. The cost of housing is NOT cheap. On the contrary, it is extremely expensive and the land taxes are the most expensive in Texas and increase every year. If you have an business to do with the public offices in Austin, county, federal, city........good luck. All the workers are full of venom and do not mind treating you like their next victim, just as a snake. No help what so ever. Eateries---never found a good one, even the much talked about BBQ and TexMex.
In closing, Austin is monumentally expensive to live and so, so totally overrated. I am so thankful to be away from Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 PM

257 posts, read 946,136 times
I currently live in Southern California - Orange County, and I'm sorry, but I totally do not get the whole "fake" or "pretentious" slams against my peeps over here. I have lived all over this country, and I think Orange County has the most friendly, authentic, and caring people of any city I have lived in. Maybe it's those pesky Northern Californians messing with your city.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
I'm excited about NYC but I will miss Austin. Overrated to many, the best city in the world to the others so I came up with another top ten list of things that I won't miss so much.

I completely understand your desire to leave Austin, but I can't quite understand your choice to goto NYC. That's gonna be quite a culture shock for ya. Going from one of the least powerful cities in the world, to one of the most powerful!! Oh well, good luck to you. Anyways, my comments to your comments are in red.

10. Lack of authentic Chinese food (please don't say PF Changs)
There are some average Chinese restaurants in Northwest Austin, but certainly nothing more than you would find in any other US city.

9. Lack of diners (Magnolia comes close though)
I agree. Never seen a diner in this area.

8. So-called hypocritical Liberals, Ex: says that it is a progressive city but at the same time gets very nervous around black people.
Only a small part of central Austin could ever be considered liberal. And even the MOST liberal part of Austin isn't even as liberal as cities like Sacramento or Denver. What most people don't realize (and the million dollar media marketing campaigns don't want you to know) is that CENTRAL Austin is liberal by TEXAS standards, NOT by California or New York standards. The Austin suburbs are as conservative and republican as any small town in east Texas.

7. Increasing Pretentiousness aka the SoCal effect is taking over.
Pretentous?? About what?? Yes, I notice the same thing. It;s the classic Austin Arrogance that runs all around central Texas. But for what reason?? Because we follow a little college football team?? Because we have the hillbilly country?? I will never understand it. Austin will always be fourth important in this state. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. Increasing Prices across the board on Real Estate (downtown is unaffordable to most..Austonian is ridiculously priced)
Agreed. Central Austin is no more affordable than central Denver, Sacramento, or in some cases parts of the east bay area.

5. Unrelenting long and hot summers.
Agreed as well. Only place I have ever lived where you cannot go outside for 4-5 straight months. The kids don't like it much either.

4. Beyond Terrible Drivers
Have you ever driven with the Austin drivers in the RAIN?? OMG, you are best calling in sick to work that day if you want to LIVE!!!!

3. Decreasing nightlife options for older than 30 crowd
Contrary to what the multi million dollar media campaigns tell you, Austin has no more nightlife than any other compariable size city in the country.

2. Insufficient Road system-Terrible traffic (IH-35, need I say more)
Agreed. But it isn't a problem for rich people who live downtown. So, if it isn't a problem for them, it isn't a problem for the city of Austin.

1. Its no longer the Austin that it used to be.
Although I never saw the "old Austin", i would suspect it may have been a bit more "real" at that point. A small, sleepy capitol town that didn't attempt to lure a million people into an infastructure that can't support half that many.

Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin![/quote]
Over the coming years, Austin will no longer suit many people. I have been trying to leave myself for almost 2 years. Unfortunately, since I am in the transportation industry (rapid transit), there aren't many agencies in the U.S. that are hiring. Although RTD Denver, and Sacmetro look promising over the next year or so. Good luck to you!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
I currently live in Southern California - Orange County, and I'm sorry, but I totally do not get the whole "fake" or "pretentious" slams against my peeps over here. I have lived all over this country, and I think Orange County has the most friendly, authentic, and caring people of any city I have lived in. Maybe it's those pesky Northern Californians messing with your city.
i dont know if fake is the right word, but materialistic and image conscious absolutely. I have a ton of family in LA (san marino) and my wife has a ton of family and most of her highschool and college friends in OC.

1) tons of plastic surgery
2) People driving BMW's living in apartments
3) half the women have a designer purse costing > $500
4) high school kids driving BMW's and other very expensive cars

You can find great people everywhere. since you probably only know around 200 people anyway it is not that hard to surround yourself with people that are "good". But when you talk about proportions, I would say 70% of people in orange county are materialistic and like to display their wealth vs. 30% of people in austin. (made up numbers, the point being the inverted proportions).

Anecdotes - my neighbors moved to steiner which is saturated with southern californians

1) Neighbor one - hedge fund guy - has a sign on his home office door "no small *******". Has wife and two daughters
2) Neighbor two - wife told my ex-neighbor that she should get a boob job. Told her husband that her doctor wasnt that expensive
3) Neighbor three - wife hit on another neighbors husband - tried to go out on a date with him while husbands wife was out of town.
4) At the elementary school they have requested no skirts above where your hands rest on your thighs, no tank tops etc -- for Moms picking up their kids.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
Hello again,

I was actually looking at the Austin forum and found that my old thread has been revived, I posted this in April 2009(OP). So, i'm going to post my observations in blue from my 1.5+ years here in NYC and to add a rebuttal to the poster above.

I'm excited about NYC but I will miss Austin. Overrated to many, the best city in the world to the others so I came up with another top ten list of things that I won't miss so much.

I completely understand your desire to leave Austin, but I can't quite understand your choice to goto NYC. That's gonna be quite a culture shock for ya. Going from one of the least powerful cities in the world, to one of the most powerful!! Oh well, good luck to you. Anyways, my comments to your comments are in red.

After 1.5 years here, I don't regret moving here but this city isn't for everyone. My wife and I are lucky to have decent employment and be able to afford this city. Many come here and fail. 90% of my friends here from Texas plan to return within 5 years. There was a culture shock but I adjusted pretty quickly probably due to me growing up in an urban environment in Chicago. I still do miss many things about Austin, especially the cost of living, cleanliness, and lack of state and city taxes.

There are some average Chinese restaurants in Northwest Austin, but certainly nothing more than you would find in any other US city.
Chinese food in NYC is disappointing and I find the quality to be very low. There are some good ones but basically, not much better than Austin. My theory is that the rent is so high here that in order to keep prices low in NYC, they sacrifice on the food quality. Chicago, SF, and Boston are way ahead of NYC and Austin is probably about equal(other than Chinatown). The 4 Chinatowns here are good but traditional neighborhood Chinese isn't very impressive here.

Tons of good diners still but many are expensive due to rent prices. There are still solid diners here.

8. So-called hypocritical Liberals, Ex: says that it is a progressive city but at the same time gets very nervous around black people.
Only a small part of central Austin could ever be considered liberal. And even the MOST liberal part of Austin isn't even as liberal as cities like Sacramento or Denver. What most people don't realize (and the million dollar media marketing campaigns don't want you to know) is that CENTRAL Austin is liberal by TEXAS standards, NOT by California or New York standards. The Austin suburbs are as conservative and republican as any small town in east Texas.
I agree, I used to frequent a lot of the "Liberal" parts of Austin like Central, South, downtown, etc and didn't feel very comfortable. Ironically, I felt more comfortable in Williamson Country and Conservative areas. Now, I live in Brooklyn and it is central Austin X 5. Williamsburg/Greenpoint and Downtown Brooklyn are super Liberal but very insular and not accepting of people who don't look like them. They are progressive in their own ways but very intolerant and judgmental. We are moving to a "less-Liberal" neighborhood in 3 weeks.

Pretentous?? About what?? Yes, I notice the same thing. It;s the classic Austin Arrogance that runs all around central Texas. But for what reason?? Because we follow a little college football team?? Because we have the hillbilly country?? I will never understand it. Austin will always be fourth important in this state. Nothing more, nothing less.
The Pretentiousness that I noticed was the MTVlization of Austin. Upscale lounges have taken over downtown and people really acted like they had a chip on their shoulder. A lot of people has the need to feel important. In the late 90s, early 00s, people were just out to have a good time, not to walk the red carpet. I visited earlier this year and it has even gotten worse. Lounges are a good thing but there are too many and Austinites(and transplants) are emulating this MTV/California/Jersey Shore lifestyle. Just go to the Warehouse District and/or West 6th st. It's noticeable.

6. Increasing Prices across the board on Real Estate (downtown is unaffordable to most..Austonian is ridiculously priced)
Agreed. Central Austin is no more affordable than central Denver, Sacramento, or in some cases parts of the east bay area.
Downtown Austin is expensive, even more expensive than some East Coast Cities and some parts of NYC. HOWEVER, it doesn't come close to NYC as a whole. A 2 bd/2 ba, 1,000 sq foot Condo in Queens/Brooklyn(not even Manhattan) can cost up to $700,000 with HOA/Maintenance fees of $1,000+. $400,000 won't get you anything close to Manhattan unless its decrepid, or maybe something in the Bronx which isn't desirable as a whole. Property Taxes are lower but you have to pay a 3.5% resident tax, and NY state income taxes. The Schools aren't very good either(like in most big cities). If you don't have a cash pile, this is one of the few cities where it's not worth buying.

Agreed as well. Only place I have ever lived where you cannot go outside for 4-5 straight months. The kids don't like it much either.
Last summer was cool and rainy, it rarely got up to 75. This summer, there were 40 days above 90 and a few above 100. Mix that in with humidity and concrete, its brutal; and I won't even mention the subways during the summers. Very few people have central air(luckily we did) but I didn't want to leave because being outside after 5 mins, I always sweat profusely.

Have you ever driven with the Austin drivers in the RAIN?? OMG, you are best calling in sick to work that day if you want to LIVE!!!!
Austin drivers will always be the worse but the NYC cab drivers are a very, very close 2nd.

Contrary to what the multi million dollar media campaigns tell you, Austin has no more nightlife than any other compariable size city in the country.
NYC has a nightlife geared toward the 20s crowd but there are options for the 30s+ crowds and many are mixed-in. NYC has multiple nightlife districts spread out, not many cities have their nightlife centralized like Austin. NYC is definitely more expensive but Austin isn't as cheap anymore. It's a lot easier to find your niche in NYC than in Austin.

Agreed. But it isn't a problem for rich people who live downtown. So, if it isn't a problem for them, it isn't a problem for the city of Austin.
NYC doesn't have sufficient roads either but there is an alternative..public transit. Austin doesn't have a very reliable alternative.

Although I never saw the "old Austin", i would suspect it may have been a bit more "real" at that point. A small, sleepy capitol town that didn't attempt to lure a million people into an infastructure that can't support half that many.
People in NYC argue the same thing as many transplants like myself have moved here and changed the old character(or grittiness in NYC terms). However, we socialize with the locals and try to blend in. Many transplants isolate themselves and don't even attempt at associating with many locals. I do miss the old Austin but I know how it feels from both ends now.

Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin![/quote]
Over the coming years, Austin will no longer suit many people. I have been trying to leave myself for almost 2 years. Unfortunately, since I am in the transportation industry (rapid transit), there aren't many agencies in the U.S. that are hiring. Although RTD Denver, and Sacmetro look promising over the next year or so. Good luck to you!
I still miss and love Austin and have very few regrets. I would have been a homeowner now and a lot more in savings if I would have remained in Austin but would have always wondered how living in NYC would be. I'm glad to experience the various cultural institutions here and living in a world-class city. I don't like the crowdiness and filth but you learn to live with it. The locals here are actually friendly, you'd be surprised. You work a lot more hours here to but its a trade-off. I recommend if anyone moves here to do it immediately after college or before they're 30, it'll be easier especially if you aren't rich. Amazingly, the NY Texas Exes chapter has upwards of 10,000 members so there are plenty opportunities to hang out with Texans here. Austin still won't suit me as of right now but come back in 5 years and ask me again

Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Well, I'm moving to NYC in 2 weeks after being here since high school and college so, I came up with a top ten list of what i'll miss:

10. Our 2 seasons, Hot and the series cold fronts that we call "Winter". Never extended periods of cold.
9. Overall Safety.
8. Laughing at all of the pseudo-hippies here (Seriously, you have nothing in common with the real hippies of the 60s, except for the BO and long hair)
7. Lake Travis in the Summer
6. Hula Hut and the Oasis
5. Very friendly and laid back population
4. Town Lake (Lady Bird)
3. Texas BBQ
2. Nightlife and the endless amount of hot chicks (eye candy only, i'm married)
1. Tex Mex

Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin!
#6 and #7 are sort of ironic, considering your moving to NYC.

NYC kind of depressed me. All I could see was the extreme desperation of some compared to the extreme wealth of others. But that's a given in a huge dense city like NYC. It wasn't surprising, just...a little depressing to see everywhere. Also, no TEX MEX!!

But NYC is an incredible place and I'm sure it will be an awesome experience. Have fun and good luck!

Edit: Pssshh, just realized this thread is from 4/2009!!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
Very cool feedback and thanks for sharing. I am glad you are happy out in NYC.

Quote:
Hello again,

I was actually looking at the Austin forum and found that my old thread has been revived, I posted this in April 2009(OP). So, i'm going to post my observations in blue from my 1.5+ years here in NYC and to add a rebuttal to the poster above.

After 1.5 years here, I don't regret moving here but this city isn't for everyone. My wife and I are lucky to have decent employment and be able to afford this city. Many come here and fail. 90% of my friends here from Texas plan to return within 5 years. There was a culture shock but I adjusted pretty quickly probably due to me growing up in an urban environment in Chicago. I still do miss many things about Austin, especially the cost of living, cleanliness, and lack of state and city taxes.

Chinese food in NYC is disappointing and I find the quality to be very low. There are some good ones but basically, not much better than Austin. My theory is that the rent is so high here that in order to keep prices low in NYC, they sacrifice on the food quality. Chicago, SF, and Boston are way ahead of NYC and Austin is probably about equal(other than Chinatown). The 4 Chinatowns here are good but traditional neighborhood Chinese isn't very impressive here.

Tons of good diners still but many are expensive due to rent prices. There are still solid diners here.

I agree, I used to frequent a lot of the "Liberal" parts of Austin like Central, South, downtown, etc and didn't feel very comfortable. Ironically, I felt more comfortable in Williamson Country and Conservative areas. Now, I live in Brooklyn and it is central Austin X 5. Williamsburg/Greenpoint and Downtown Brooklyn are super Liberal but very insular and not accepting of people who don't look like them. They are progressive in their own ways but very intolerant and judgmental. We are moving to a "less-Liberal" neighborhood in 3 weeks.

The Pretentiousness that I noticed was the MTVlization of Austin. Upscale lounges have taken over downtown and people really acted like they had a chip on their shoulder. A lot of people has the need to feel important. In the late 90s, early 00s, people were just out to have a good time, not to walk the red carpet. I visited earlier this year and it has even gotten worse. Lounges are a good thing but there are too many and Austinites(and transplants) are emulating this MTV/California/Jersey Shore lifestyle. Just go to the Warehouse District and/or West 6th st. It's noticeable.

Downtown Austin is expensive, even more expensive than some East Coast Cities and some parts of NYC. HOWEVER, it doesn't come close to NYC as a whole. A 2 bd/2 ba, 1,000 sq foot Condo in Queens/Brooklyn(not even Manhattan) can cost up to $700,000 with HOA/Maintenance fees of $1,000+. $400,000 won't get you anything close to Manhattan unless its decrepid, or maybe something in the Bronx which isn't desirable as a whole. Property Taxes are lower but you have to pay a 3.5% resident tax, and NY state income taxes. The Schools aren't very good either(like in most big cities). If you don't have a cash pile, this is one of the few cities where it's not worth buying.

Last summer was cool and rainy, it rarely got up to 75. This summer, there were 40 days above 90 and a few above 100. Mix that in with humidity and concrete, its brutal; and I won't even mention the subways during the summers. Very few people have central air(luckily we did) but I didn't want to leave because being outside after 5 mins, I always sweat profusely.

Austin drivers will always be the worse but the NYC cab drivers are a very, very close 2nd.

NYC has a nightlife geared toward the 20s crowd but there are options for the 30s+ crowds and many are mixed-in. NYC has multiple nightlife districts spread out, not many cities have their nightlife centralized like Austin. NYC is definitely more expensive but Austin isn't as cheap anymore. It's a lot easier to find your niche in NYC than in Austin.

NYC doesn't have sufficient roads either but there is an alternative..public transit. Austin doesn't have a very reliable alternative.

People in NYC argue the same thing as many transplants like myself have moved here and changed the old character(or grittiness in NYC terms). However, we socialize with the locals and try to blend in. Many transplants isolate themselves and don't even attempt at associating with many locals. I do miss the old Austin but I know how it feels from both ends now.

Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin!
I still miss and love Austin and have very few regrets. I would have been a homeowner now and a lot more in savings if I would have remained in Austin but would have always wondered how living in NYC would be. I'm glad to experience the various cultural institutions here and living in a world-class city. I don't like the crowdiness and filth but you learn to live with it. The locals here are actually friendly, you'd be surprised. You work a lot more hours here to but its a trade-off. I recommend if anyone moves here to do it immediately after college or before they're 30, it'll be easier especially if you aren't rich. Amazingly, the NY Texas Exes chapter has upwards of 10,000 members so there are plenty opportunities to hang out with Texans here. Austin still won't suit me as of right now but come back in 5 years and ask me again [/quote]

Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Hello again,

thanks for the follow up! I just wanted to comment on this piece. The reason it may be hard to find good chinese in NYC and the burroughs is that there are simply too many places for you to choose from. If only 1/20 restaurants is good, the chances that you will accidentally find a good one are extremely low. However since there are probably a thousand chinese restaurants, even if the ratio is 1/20 there will be a large number of good ones.

For example, if you want peking duck, the peking duck house is pretty good. However the rest of their food sucks. It isnt as good as the peking duck I have had in LA or hong kong, but is better than any peking duck you can get in austin.

If you want dim sum, you have a few choices in austin which are all pretty good. But there is nothing like the giant place in china town which is simply awesome. (I forget the name, but the workers are always striking outside)

If you want abalone, shark fin soup, high end banquet etc the only place in Austin is fortune which is pretty good. But in NYC there are probably 20 or so places of that caliber (or more).

My relatives in NYC generally go to flushing and I have been relatively disappointed with the quality of their choices. Usually I go to yelp and that is pretty reliable. I wouldnt try random places because it will take you forever to find a good one.

However, the chinese food in NYC is much better than austin but doesnt seem to have as many good places as LA.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM

70 posts, read 217,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Sometimes the only way to move on in life is to move. There isn't any perfect place to live, at least over the long run, since one's needs, circumstances and tastes change over time. Every relocation brings new life experience and adds to one's discernment. Every move entails advantages and disadvantages, but it's seldom I think that any move is an unmitigated disaster.
Great words in that first sentence.

I recently went through some not so pleasant happenings in my life and I am moving away to Austin. I heard amazing things about it, and of course people steer you away & say "you won't like it, the traffic is bad, the radio stations suck" my goodness people, if those are your complaints - you are sitting pretty well in my opinion...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM

34 posts, read 205,062 times
Wow, we just moved to Austin from Long Island, never thought I'd hear of someone leaving Austin for New York!

If you think Austin is expensive, just wait til you get to New York. Like another poster said, you can expect to spend $23 for a ham sandwich in NYC. While I agree that the drivers down here are bad, just wait until you drive in New York, where everyday driving is a competitive sport. Also, I hope you're a millionaire, or make at least 75K a month...you're gonna need it just for a little apartment in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin