Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 17,340 times

Advertisements

Yo,

I currently live in Prescott, Arizona and I'm looking to move to Austin this summer. I'm planning on going to a community college next summer. Can anyone give me any recommendations on where to look for apartments? Or what part of Austin I should move to? Any other Important Info would help.

Thanks Alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Yo, how much are you looking to spend? I take it that you are going to ACC. There are campuses everywhere so it really doesn't matter where you live but for college students I would say:

If $$ is no object then the West Campus area, hands down.
If $$ is an object then East Riverside, East Oltorf area. Crime is higher over there but there are tons of college students and an ACC campus over there. You won't be murdered but there is petty crime like car burglaries, etc, just watch your surroundings.
If $$ is an object and you don't mind living further away for a nicer place, look at Metric Blvd in North Austin and its next to an ACC. Southwest Austin is good too. Far West Blvd is good for students as well.
Honestly, any area you can afford and feel comfortable in in Austin would work.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM

41 posts, read 232,296 times
I moved to austin and went to ACC. So we moved to the north side of austin because the apartments were cheaper. We also found out northridge campus ( for us) was the best campus. it had all the classes we needed to take to transfer ( some campus don't offer certain classes and you end up going to different campuses in one semester). Also, compared to the rio grande campus it was alot easier to park. However, we moved south. Living North was nice and it was only about a 10-15 minute drive without traffic to downtown. Our apartment complex even had a party shuttle every weekend to downtown.

But at this point of time living south is alot better for us. We can take a cab to downtown, walk to the parks and not have to sit in traffic during rush hour. So, it all depends on what you can afford, what you like to do, where you plan to work, etc

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 17,340 times
Money is not really a Issue. I'd like a place closer to downtown, I spend most of my time outdoors. I'd assume I would spend most of my time there. I'll look for places in the south part of Austin.

How is the job market? Is it hard for a college student to find a Job?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 AM

41 posts, read 232,296 times
So if you like to spend time outdoors south austin would be more your style. If you like hiking, look at apartments on spyglass drive. There are walking distance to one of the access to barton creek. Or if money is really is not an issue milago condo has place for rent ( a little pricey) but they are directly on town lake and you have direct access to the trail. But otherwise, there are actually tons of great places to live in south austin.

Job wise? I guess it depends what you do or what you are looking for? Looking for a part time job there are tons of them. If you know how to bartend or have experience as a server, you shouldn't have a problem snapping up a job due to tons of bars and restaurants here.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,593 times
What types of things are there to do outdoors? Are there a lot of places to hike or what do people like to do?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
The outdoors is Austin's living room. Most activities and places that are uniquely Austin have to do with outdoor festivals, events, celebrations. Check out the URLs in these threads What Is "Austin Weird" To You? and the day trips described in my profile.

There are tons of parks and green belts with hike and bike trails all over Austin.

Places that Austin citizens identified as uniquely Austin were more about outdoor spaces then buildings. Such as the grounds at Laguna Gloria Art Museum, Hippy Hollow on Lake Travis, the South mall at the University of Texas, open air festivals on 6th Street. Austin celebrated new years 2001 by closing Congress Avenue and Sixth Street and having a huge free street party with live music.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjmkn View Post
What types of things are there to do outdoors? Are there a lot of places to hike or what do people like to do?
Run almost anywhere but the hike and bike trail on Lady Bird lake is popular.

Swim for fitness at many places or in the lakes

Bike - all over town on or off road

Combine the above three to train for a triathlon

Row (at the Texas Rowing center)

Join a league and play soccer, softball, volleball, or rugby

Boat, jetski, or fish on Lake Travis

Just for starters.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: