Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:51 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

No, not that I've noticed (I'm using just West of downtown Austin as my starting point). Once you get around Lake Buchanan it's more undeveloped. No McMansions and Concrete covering the hills out there. Well, at least not yet . Well, I guess Marble Falls area isn't totally developed yet.

I'm just sort of an enjoyer of how unpopulated the hills were not even 10 yrs. ago and how much more public the land was. Now a whole lot of it is private and unaccesable (sp?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwjones View Post
Its seems that this may be a very unpopular opinion here, but I like how the hills around Austin in those photos look alive. A neat combination of built environment and natural landscape. Could you drive 30 mins or so west and be in undeveloped hill country?
Hey, even when there are no human constructions on them, the hills are alive and look so. (Perhaps moreso then, in fact.) They're FULL of life!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:42 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Its seems that this may be a very unpopular opinion here, but I like how the hills around Austin in those photos look alive. A neat combination of built environment and natural landscape. Could you drive 30 mins or so west and be in undeveloped hill country?
When you consider that development and impervious cover are bad for the aquifer...and that we're in the middle of a drought...then maybe you'll reconsider. Just a thought.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 32,580 times
Didn't mean to imply that the development is 100% good. I just personally think it's physically attractive. Positano Italy is another example of, where I think, the development complemented the natural beauty. ie:

http://www.giffoniff.it/giffoni-incorso/images/Image/Luoghi%20da%20visitare/positano_02.jpg (broken link)

But don't worry. I'm not a developer, planner, or politician.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Clearly we have vastly different tastes in what complements natural beauty!

For example, also in Italy (I'm posting links to avoid breaking the City-Data TOS - and copyright law - against posting copyrighted images, which is pretty much all of them, without permission from the copyright holder):

The Coastline from Chia to Teulada (http://www.u5uk.com/you/holiday_home_sardinia/images/artimg/GC64R-6/chia2%20website.jpg - broken link)

And in Texas:

Hill Country State Natural Area

West Texas

Caddo Lake
(just pick one - I couldn't choose)

Hamilton Pool

Hill Country in Spring

Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Beautiful pictures THL. Don't take me wrong, a landscape doesn't have to be developed for me to find beauty in it. One of the most beautiful areas I have seen is the undeveloped area of Big Sur in Northern CA. I guess I just have a broader range of what I find beautiful.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,289 times
Quote:
I'm just sort of an enjoyer of how unpopulated the hills were not even 10 yrs. ago and how much more public the land was. Now a whole lot of it is private
I can't really comment on how things used to be, but I do think any fast-growing area has to be careful to preserve some land and keep the best parts from all being "fenced off" for just private development, or else the area loses some of the charm that made it fast-growing in the first place.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Beautiful pictures THL. Don't take me wrong, a landscape doesn't have to be developed for me to find beauty in it. One of the most beautiful areas I have seen is the undeveloped area of Big Sur in Northern CA. I guess I just have a broader range of what I find beautiful.

Oh, I find some populated areas beautiful, too. It's just that it is critical to truly value and preserve the very things that make people want to move to areas of great natural beauty.

For example, if I had a piece of property that had a beautiful vista from the top of a hill, I would not build on that hilltop. I'd build my house somewhere tucked in below, and perhaps have a picnic area or small pavilion tucked into trees at the top of the hill, both so that I could enjoy the view and so that I would not intrude upon the view of others. I don't see a lot of that happening - people decide that they want to live in this beautiful place and proceed to ruin it for everyone else. Or some (note that "some") developers, who think that nothing is so beautiful as green, but not the kind of green I'm talking about but the kind that lives in the bank vault, realize that people love natural beauty and proceed to buy it up and destroy it in the process of marketing it.

So, no, I don't think that natural beauty is more beautiful if it's got a lot of houses on it. I've learned otherwise in the process of watching the above happen to some breathtakingly beautiful areas around Austin that are now fancy subdivisions. (The drive out 2222 and out 620 comes most immediately to mind, and anyone who lived here before 2222 was widened with the excuse of making it "safer" - read, more easy to develop - will know what I'm talking about.)

Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM

In all fairness I have not lived in Austin yet and probably don't have the best frame of reference. It certainly would be a shame if the hills were so developed that the green was lost entirely and and non-property owners had no places to go and enjoy the hills. I will have to revist this post and comment from a more educated standpoint once we have moved to Austin. This picture from the OP looks like there is still a lot of green undeveloped land relatively close to downtown Austin. Is this a deceptive photo?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,297 times
My guess is that the people who live in these homes pay an enormous amount in property taxes. A portion of that should be used to fund parks and undeveloped greenspaces in the hills that everyone can enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin