Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times

Advertisements

I don't live downtown, but there are lots of blacks out here in hutto. A new lady joined our playgroup out here and she's black, her husband is white. maybe there are more blacks in the suburbs? And I don't feel any rascism here. Like we've said before, Taylor and beyond may be another story. As for clubs, it's dead as a doornail out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 AM

124 posts, read 449,889 times
Default Living in Austin

I'm a black male in my 40's and I have lived in Austin since moving here from Dallas to attend college. I've enjoyed living here since my college days and have really never had any difficulties with social environment here at all. I met my wife here (she's from the east coast and she is also African American) and we both feel that this is a great place to raise our children. I would caution you that if you are a black person moving here from a place like Atlanta, Houston, etc., and you are used to attending black-oriented events on a daily basis, Austin will probably take some getting used to. Some people are unable to or unwilling to make this adjustment.

Mr2007, based on your profile, it sounds like Austin would be a good fit for you. While Austin is probably not San Francisco East, it is a very tolerant and friendly community and it meets most of your requirements with the exception of the one about not being overrun with drunk college students (just stay away from Sixth Street on the weekends and you'll be fine). And there is certainly a diverse array of attractive women in Austin. I disagree with the statement that Austin is not diverse at all. Ethnically, the city is a about 50 percent white, 30 percent Hispanic, 10 percent black and 10 percent Asian/Indian.

In response to nsmith923's question about the black population, I would imagine the reason for the black population being relatively small in comparison to Houston and Dallas has a lot to do with the City's historical lack of a diverse economy. Until about the last 15 years or so, about 80 percent of Austin's population worked for the state government or the University of Texas. Most of the black people who live in Houston and Dallas have roots in the the rural communities of East Texas and Louisiana. In the early 20th century, their families migrated to these cities in search of job opportunities and a better racial environment (pretty much the same way the blacks moved from other southern states to places like New York and Chicago). With that being said, the percentage of blacks in the local population is similar to the percentages in Los Angeles and Seattle (of course Austin is smaller than these cities, so the corresponding absolute numbers and social opportunities are also smaller).

Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 42,718 times
Default Wow, good bit of history

I think we will really enjoy it there. I have lived in predominately black cities like Atlanta and Detroit and that was fun but I also had a great time growing up in a predominately White environment. Both have pros and cons.

I agree that, after digging deeper, Austin in much more diverse than it appears. In any case, I am commited and excited about my move! Thanks everyone for the information

Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnival96 View Post

I disagree with the statement that Austin is not diverse at all. Ethnically, the city is a about 50 percent white, 30 percent Hispanic, 10 percent black and 10 percent Asian/Indian.
"The Austin market is 37.8 percent minority (25.3 percent Hispanic, 7.7 percent African American, 3.3 percent Asian American, 0.6 percent Native American, and 0.9 percent other). " - I think this is from 2002.

The 2000 census corroborates this data.

"White persons, percent, 2000 (a) 65.4% 71.0%
Black or African American persons, percent, 2000 (a) 10.0% 11.5%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2000 (a) 0.6% 0.6%
Asian persons, percent, 2000 (a) 4.7% 2.7%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2000 (a) 0.1% 0.1%
"

Austin is a mostly white and hispanic city. It is pretty obvious that there are barely any asians or blacks.

This is diverse

"The federal population figures show that 6.4 million people lived in the Bay Area in 1997, up from 6 million in 1990. About 54 percent were white, 19 percent were Latino, 19 percent were Asian and 9 percent were African American. Less than 1 percent were American Indian. The numbers do not add up to 100 percent because of rounding. "

Washington DC
"White persons, percent, 2005 (a) 38.0% 80.2%
Black persons, percent, 2005 (a) 57.0% 12.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2005 (a) 0.3% 1.0%
Asian persons, percent, 2005 (a) 3.1% 4.3%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2005 (a) 0.1% 0.2%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2005 1.6% 1.5%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2005 (b) 8.6% 14.4%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2005 31.1% 66.9%
"

Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
There are a number of ways to measure "diversity" other than skin color and ethnicity. Taking into account political, social and economic factors, as well as "cosmopolitan" factors, such as the diversity of where people originally grew up before landing in Austin, Austin is indeed a very diverse city with a rich mix of people.

I think sometimes people confuse "available choices" for a particular social or ethnic niche with diversity. For example, if you come from a black area in Atlanta where there are numerous social venues and places to go and "be black", Austin is very limited in that way, but that doesn't make Austin less "diverse". It just means we have fewer venues that cater to black people. Same with gay lifestyle. We don't have a completetly "gay district" or predominantly gay "gayborhoods", but that doesn't mean Austin isn't diverse and that gays are not accepted and welcome across the board. Ironically, the majority of "hate" related stuff I've ever read or heard about is related to politics. There was the Republican in Travis Heights who kept getting his political sign torn down and had his car vandalized for being, I guess, not being liberal.

But overall, acceptance and tolerance does tend to dilute the concentration of specialty venues and neighborhoods since there isn't as much of a social need for "birds of a feather" to flock together when one is free to live and play wherever they please.

Steve

Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
Quote:
But overall, acceptance and tolerance does tend to dilute the concentration of specialty venues and neighborhoods since there isn't as much of a social need for "birds of a feather" to flock together when one is free to live and play wherever they please.
Completely agree with this statement. I was looking through some pictures taken a decade ago and it was interesting to see that wherever we appeared in the photos, we were the only ones of colour, but didn't seem to be out of place! Having too much fun to notice or care, I guess.

Oh, and 2007, if you're not willing to be among the pioneers to set root and grow the population, then who will?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 42,718 times
Default I agree with that

I plan to be a pioneer (LOL). Frankly, I'm used to it, and have had some great experiences. I like having a diverse group of friends.

But believe me I have already talked up Austin to my fellow Black Detroiters who are DYING to get out of this area. Austin better look out

Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
Just make sure you lock the gate behind you and swallow the key...

Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmith923 View Post
Austin97, you mentioned your friends(s) left because of a lack of Black clubs and dating options. I too have heard there are not a lot of Blacks, so I am wondering if you have any idea why? cial I know there is a large Black population in Houston and in Dallas. Why not Austin?
You may want to search the Austin American Statesman website. they had a series of articles a year or so ago about why there's not many blacks in Austin.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
You may want to search the Austin American Statesman website. they had a series of articles a year or so ago about why there's not many blacks in Austin.
Here is an austin chronicle article
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A264998
http://www.statesman.com/specialrepo...intromask.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin