U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 PM

30 posts, read 70,397 times

Advertisements

Hi, I lived in Austin for about 4 months when I was single. I am married now and live in Oklahoma city but my husband and I both love Austin very much and come down about 3-4 times a year just to hang out. We know the city very well and have decided to move there permanently this June. Our plan is to lease a loft or condo as close to downtown as possible for a couple of years before deciding where we want to buy. We have already been there looking at places and found some awesome ones downtown and in SoCo. Since coming home and looking on the Austin MLS and craigslist I have also seen some really cool lofts just east of I35. I know the reputation the east side has but I also know they are trying really hard to revitalize that area so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about it. Does anyone here live in any of the new east side lofts or live somewhere else on the east side? If so, do you feel safe there? I am very fitness oriented and I like to be out walking or biking in my neighborhood and to different places so I want a place where I will feel safe doing that, day or night. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:20 PM

2,175 posts, read 5,616,625 times
They look nice enough. However, I wouldn't live on the east side. It is being revitalized, but it will be a long time until it is like other areas west of I35.

I've been on the east side during the day, and it feels fine safety wise. At night, I think you'll just have to get used to certain things. Some people that live over there have had to shoo away the prostitutes and drug dealers.

The revitalization can't push everyone out. Where are the people supposed to go? Don't expect it to be a neighborhood where you can walk to everything at night, yikes, I'd be afraid of that.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 AM

326 posts, read 674,228 times
We have lived on the east side in the Delwood neighborhood which is just north of the Mueller development for about 2 years now. I feel safe. Many people walk/jog (many moms have their kids in the strollers) during the day and evenings. I don't go out late at night, so I don't know about how it feels then.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 AM

20,413 posts, read 37,811,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
We have lived on the east side in the Delwood neighborhood which is just north of the Mueller development for about 2 years now. I feel safe. Many people walk/jog (many moms have their kids in the strollers) during the day and evenings. I don't go out late at night, so I don't know about how it feels then.
I've been hearing this stuff about the east side of IH35 for decades. I've lived in most parts of Austin over the years. Lived in Delwood back when the airport was still there; lived on Manor Road after that. Lived west of 2222/Northland; lived off East Rundberg. Lived in Barton Hills most recently before moving out to the ranch.

When I lived in those areas east of IH35, I had young children. I never felt worried walking any time of day or night.

Are there a few places that I might hesitate? Yes, there are. But for the most part, east of IH35 is just fine, and are made up of people some of whom have less money but who are otherwise families just like those west of IH35. Not people to be afraid of, in other words.

Whenever someone tars East Austin with the "afraid to walk at night" brush, I think they're saying more about themselves than they are about the area. Some people just need a railroad track to be on the "right" side of, and if one doesn't exist, they'll create it. I think that's where these kinds of perceptions come from.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 AM

326 posts, read 674,228 times
I agree with THL. We know quite a few people who have children live east side and they all love their neighborhoods as we do. It all depends on your perspectives. I am sure some of the McMansion people on top of the hills think the rest of Austin neighborhoods are questionable for their standards. We all know Austin is much safter than most of the cities in the country.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input. I really do prefer the ones west of I35, and particularly the new ones right across from El Arroyo. They are expensive but the amenities are incredible! The thing with the east side lofts is you get more sq. ft. for your money which was attractive to me since I will be going from a 2400 sq. ft. home to about a 1200 sq. ft loft. Yikes! We could just go ahead and buy another home but we're looking at this move as sort of an adventure and we would really like to get rid of the responsibilities of a house for a couple of years and just live some place where we can walk to restaurants, music venues, and have a more urban lifestyle instead of spending our weekends mowing the lawn or doing other home improvement projects.

We can't wait to get there!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2009 View Post
Hi, I lived in Austin for about 4 months when I was single. I am married now and live in Oklahoma city but my husband and I both love Austin very much and come down about 3-4 times a year just to hang out. We know the city very well and have decided to move there permanently this June. Our plan is to lease a loft or condo as close to downtown as possible for a couple of years before deciding where we want to buy. We have already been there looking at places and found some awesome ones downtown and in SoCo. Since coming home and looking on the Austin MLS and craigslist I have also seen some really cool lofts just east of I35. I know the reputation the east side has but I also know they are trying really hard to revitalize that area so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about it. Does anyone here live in any of the new east side lofts or live somewhere else on the east side? If so, do you feel safe there? I am very fitness oriented and I like to be out walking or biking in my neighborhood and to different places so I want a place where I will feel safe doing that, day or night. Thanks!
Hi Austin2009 - my wife and I actually live in the Pedernales Lofts right now and have had no troubles in the past 18+ mos. we've been living here. East Austin loft living definitely has a more urban feel, by design. The proximity to downtown and the entertainment/dining/parking is just about as good as it gets, while still being very affordable. Also, the 6th street corridor is really starting to "fill in", with restaurants like Buenos Aires Cafe, The Good Knight and many more.

[mod]advertising[/mod]

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-23-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Thanks austinadam, our move is getting closer and we will be coming back to Austin the end of this month to look at some more places. We will check out the place you live while we are there. We are still seriously considering The 5th Street Commons across from El Arroyo, too. I am wondering if anyone else on here might live there and could tell me what your experience there has been?

Last edited by Austin2009; 05-16-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 01:21 PM

16,721 posts, read 40,996,486 times
If you Goggle map and type "5th Street Commons, 78701" in search there is one review:

Quote:
The apartment is great, but the noise is unbearable. You would think units facing a major street would have soundproof windows. Granted, this is the cost you pay for living downtown. Construction during the day makes working from home out of the question. Trying to sleep at night with live music blaring has you scrambling for earplugs. I don't know about other tenants, but I like to sleep sometimes..
I don't think there is such a thing as soundproof windows, but this does make a point. It probably makes a big difference which side of the complex your unit is on.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks so much for this because we talked with the leasing agent for a long time when we were there looking and he went on and on about how much work they had put into soundproofing and how quiet it would be there if we chose that place to reside. But then, what else would he say? Hmmm....this is something we have been concerned about but then I wonder if there is such a thing as a quiet downtown loft or condo? My husband does not work from home but I do have a home office since I am a realtor. We are trying to stay at the higher end of leases so that we are more likely to end up in a building with mostly professional people but it sounds like even then quiet might not be on the menu. I'll check into it more...Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or