Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times

Advertisements

Actually, Austin is neither liberal nor conservative as those terms are generally used (except for those who define people by voting patterns). A poster upthread did peg it that if you aren't comfortable with people who are different than you and aren't a "live and let live" kind of person and don't want your children being exposed to that mentality, you might not be comfortable here. If, however, you simply wish to raise your children conservatively but with the awareness that there are good people in the world who might believe differently and that some of them might live in your neighborhood, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,926,967 times
Well said, TexasHorseLady.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,824,483 times
I doubt he will see too much of that in Round Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If being 'conservative' means 'intolerant', then no- Austin is not for you. Austin has a very relaxed, live and let live kind of feel to it. You might see gay people walking around, or mixed couples, or bohemian types. If that bothers you, then maybe Austin isn't so good for you. There are plenty of Catholic churches and schools, though.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I doubt he will see too much of that in Round Rock.
You might be surprised. Spend much time in Round Rock when you were here, did you?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times
There's nothing wrong with being conservative..it's not a bad thing and the OP has every right to chose how they want to live and raise their children.

Austin is more liberal in the sense that alternate lifestyles are openly accepted (trying to be PC here).
I would suggest Williamson County (Round Rock, Georgetown) as they are more conservative cities.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,476,863 times
Oh, come now. Don't be so hostile towards these people.

I think you will be fine in Austin. Yes, it is liberal but there are more cities that Austin can't even compare to when it come to liberalism (SF, Atlanta, DC, Philly, Boston, etc.).

Anyway, I would recommend Cedar Park, Georgetown, Round Rock, and Pflugerville. All very nice areas.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 AM

144 posts, read 330,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decisions2009 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I want a scenic, waterfront and safe home to move to in Texas. We're currently in Dallas and find it both not pretty and a lack of things to do once we have kids. We fell in love with Austin, it's beautiful and has so many things to do... but we're afraid it might be a bit too liberal for us from what we hear.

I want my kids to be raised in a good community with great family values-not necessarily Catholic, but just with good (more on the conservative side) family values. However, we'd also like to be a part of a nice Catholic community, where families of the same faith get together. Is this doable in Austin? We were looking at Vineyard Bay..any thoughts?

My other question which might seem stupid is: Is Austin headed to be the next San Francisco? There's nothing wrong with SF...just not the type of environment I want my kids to be raised in.

FYI: I'm not a fanatic and I'm not fond of the religious fanatic of any sort. But I am conservative and would like my kids to be raised in such an environment.

Thank you so much for any help!
Williamson County, you'll fit right in. And to be honest, it's a little disturbing for people to come on thinking "it's too liberal, will we be OK?" Liberal doesn't mean you're going to be robbed or hurt or anything. We're just people.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 AM

144 posts, read 330,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Oh, come now. Don't be so hostile towards these people.

I think you will be fine in Austin. Yes, it is liberal but there are more cities that Austin can't even compare to when it come to liberalism (SF, Atlanta, DC, Philly, Boston, etc.).

Anyway, I would recommend Cedar Park, Georgetown, Round Rock, and Pflugerville. All very nice areas.
Atlanta is NOT liberal. Just left there because of the stifling conservatism. It's not even a question.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,926,967 times
Yes, and I'm happy to report that Austin actually has a mission of the Society of St Pius Xth -- that should be sufficiently conservative! The OP can go on the SSPX website and find the contact details for the SSPX in Austin.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,476,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Atlanta is NOT liberal. Just left there because of the stifling conservatism. It's not even a question.
The city itself most-definitely is liberal. Now the suburbs of Atlanta..... not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin