U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM

3,729 posts, read 5,065,960 times
Default Tiny black ants in the house

Greetings,
We have a new infestation of tiny and I mean tiny black ants in both our kitchen and bathroom. We went out and purchased ant traps and they are not working. This is the first place we've ever lived where those ant traps are useless. Usually after about three days the ants disappear but we are now at the end of an entire week with the traps and still they persist.

Has anyone here dealt with these ant and how have you gotten rid of them? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Please disregard previous post, I just found the following:

Ants
I guess I should have done a search first. LOL

Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,213,692 times
They're just thirsty. They pop up around the plumbing for water.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM

17 posts, read 65,595 times
There is an ant product called Toro(I think) at the grocery store... little traps with a syrup looking liquid inside. This has worked miracles for getting rid of the ants for me.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Default Looks like Toro is working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyktexas View Post
There is an ant product called Toro(I think) at the grocery store... little traps with a syrup looking liquid inside. This has worked miracles for getting rid of the ants for me.
Thank you for this recommendation. I purchased these at HEB yesterday and a few hours after putting them out, ants were scrambling to get to the bait. They'd formed a line coming from behind the backsplash in the bathroom and headed toward the bait and others were heading back from the bait through the same part of backsplash (hopefully taking the stuff back to the colony). This morning I've only seen a few milling about.

In the event anyone want to try this stuff, the product's actual name is Terro.

Last edited by Jennibc; 04-23-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM

516 posts, read 729,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Thank you for this recommendation. I purchased these at HEB yesterday and a few hours after putting them out, ants were scrambling to get to the bait. They'd formed a line coming from behind the backsplash in the bathroom and headed toward the bait and others were heading back from the bait through the same part of backsplash (hopefully taking the stuff back to the colony). This morning I've only seen a few milling about.

We get those same tiny ants in the spring time, and Terro is the best. The ants love our kitchen, and I put them on the floor under the dishwasher and in a day the trap is filled with the ants. Good stuff.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 8,856 times
Quote:
Greetings,
We have a new infestation of tiny and I mean tiny black ants in both our kitchen and bathroom. We went out and purchased ant traps and they are not working. This is the first place we've ever lived where those ant traps are useless. Usually after about three days the ants disappear but we are now at the end of an entire week with the traps and still they persist.

Has anyone here dealt with these ant and how have you gotten rid of them? Thanks!

Yeah we have the same exact things, I do believe. They are in the kitchen, bathroom, and my bedroom! We got rid of them once but they came back only a few months later! they dont bite, just very annoying! And the love anything sweet! so dont leave a soda bottle cap laying around, or an empty glass that had juice in it, candy wrappers, etc... if you figure out how to get rid of these let me know!!!! good luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 AM

4,327 posts, read 2,823,080 times
We put some bait/traps out, worked for a while, now they're back. But not as bad as before, at least.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM

It may be that you have to hire an exterminator. We left the rental where we had them about three years ago so I don't know if they ended up coming back or not.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 AM

10,861 posts, read 8,190,590 times
Quote:
Yep, they're handy and effective. The ingredients appear to be corn syrup and borax, the same things we used to make ant baits with in old bottlecaps when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin