Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 PM

46 posts, read 176,863 times

Advertisements

Great for the links and notes. I think we will definitely adopt through a shelter.

We don't plan on keep the dogs outside because we have plenty of dingos roaming around at night when I'm BBQing or taking out the trash. They are strictly going to stay inside where it's cool and safe. We also don't plan on walking mid-day. More during dusk and dawn when the weather is much cooler. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Capcat: I will be looking into Dr. Wood's more! Thank you so much for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.richard View Post
Great for the links and notes. I think we will definitely adopt through a shelter.

We don't plan on keep the dogs outside because we have plenty of dingos roaming around at night when I'm BBQing or taking out the trash. They are strictly going to stay inside where it's cool and safe. We also don't plan on walking mid-day. More during dusk and dawn when the weather is much cooler. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Capcat: I will be looking into Dr. Wood's more! Thank you so much for that.
Good luck with everything. btw...I typed the address incorrectly. It's 6909 McNeil, not 6009. Sorry about that.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM

36 posts, read 99,264 times
Yeah! Good to hear that you are going to adopt. One last thing to remember is that the dogs are usually somewhat different at home that at the shelter. They are usually calmer, and then to bark and jump less. Once I fostered what was considered the most difficult dog the WCHS had. He was known for this terrible loud, strained bark and chased everyone off. Once I got him home he was just fine. It was just a reaction of stress while at the shelter.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Not a problem! we looked into other reviews and all we have to say is wow. They have been getting 5 stars across the board. I definitely will put them at the top of our list right now.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 PM

If you're going to adopt, I'd think a summer cut and a home/family beats a shelter any day. Especially with the plans you've described.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:30 PM

Hey Capcat:

Sorry about this. Again, I'm new to the terminology. What exactly is a "summer cut?" Pros and cons vs. shelter?

Old 04-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritterbride View Post
Yeah! Good to hear that you are going to adopt. One last thing to remember is that the dogs are usually somewhat different at home that at the shelter. They are usually calmer, and then to bark and jump less. Once I fostered what was considered the most difficult dog the WCHS had. He was known for this terrible loud, strained bark and chased everyone off. Once I got him home he was just fine. It was just a reaction of stress while at the shelter.
Great advice. I have been to a few shelters a few years ago (just tagging along with some friends) and the facilities don't seem too pet friendly. I know they are doing their best with what they have, but I can understand why some of those pets want out. But again, I commend those who volunteer and work at these shelters! I will definitely keep what you said in mind!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.richard View Post
Hey Capcat:

Sorry about this. Again, I'm new to the terminology. What exactly is a "summer cut?" Pros and cons vs. shelter?
That's just my term for shearing a dog slightly for the summer. Heavy-coated, large dogs seem to love it afterwards.

My other comment was in reference to simply making adjustments for a dog like a Huskie in a hotter climate like Texas, rather than passing it up and leaving it in a shelter. I've loved all of my adopted dogs.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
That's just my term for shearing a dog slightly for the summer. Heavy-coated, large dogs seem to love it afterwards.

My other comment was in reference to simply making adjustments for a dog like a Huskie in a hotter climate like Texas, rather than passing it up and leaving it in a shelter. I've loved all of my adopted dogs.
Ahhhh...I understand. Makes a lot of since. I think my wife and I agreed to adopt instead of going to a breeder. Hopefully we can still find a husky mix or corgi mix since there are low chances that pure breeds will be in the shelters. Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait to see the smile on her face when the little guy or girl comes home to greet her.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 PM

80 posts, read 251,105 times
Hi! I use West Lynn Veterinary Clinic, and I could not be happier. The vets there worked with my little kitty girl when she had cancer, and they were so awesome. They coordinated with my kitty's oncologist, and even referred me to a dietician. One of the vets there (Dr. Hanks) is also a behavioralist and offers excellent advice. They show a lot of love and care to their furry clients -- my "kids" always gets lots of cuddles from staff.

I used to show (but not breed) a couple of purebred cats. The only reason I could ever see purchasing through a breeder is for purposes of showing, to educate the public about the breed itself. (I had a great time showing in CFA and TICA and wouldn't trade that experience for the world!) Many reputable breeders "retire" their show dogs after a few years and place them in homes. Sometimes they might have a pet returned to them because the previous owners don't want the pet anymore. These are adult animals, not puppies, of course. But if you're looking for a particular breed, that might be another option, too. You have the pet's full health history, which is a bonus.

If anyone ever buys a purebred animal -- and again, if you're not showing the pet, I never encourage this -- you always want to look deep into the history of the breeder and any problems they might have had with their lines. Prior to getting my babies, I put a year of research into seeing who was the most reputable breeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: