Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:15 AM

477 posts, read 1,580,955 times

Advertisements

So last night I was invited to a birthday party for a friend (by her). It was being held at a restaurant she and her husband own. This is a VERY successful restaurant. There were about 20 people there and it's not too expensive - I imagine the whole "party" would have costed $500, less for them because they own the place. When we left, they brought us a bill. I thought this was beyond tacky. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
So the restaurant owners hosted a party and then presented you with a bill? If that's the case, then it is pretty tacky. We had a tacky experience like that here once, we went to a housewarming and the hosts decided to order pizza, after it arrived they took up a collection from attendees to help pay. This wasn't college students christening an apartment either, it was a couple of DINKS who'd just purchased a home in SW Austin. If someone hosts a party, they should cover the expenses. I don't think the local culture dictates otherwise, but some long time residents here should chime in on this.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Yes IMO very tacky. Invited to a party and then expected to pay for it ?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Yikes! This sheds a whole new light on the wedding reception we've been invited to in May!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yikes! This sheds a whole new light on the wedding reception we've been invited to in May!
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion quite yet. The OP could have experienced an isolated example of tackiness. I went to a baby shower at a cafe here a couple of months ago and no one presented me with a bill. I haven't been here long enough to know what social mores require but I am still convinced that local culture doesn't absolve hosts from actually "hosting." There may be a "cash" bar at the reception, but I've seen that kind of tackiness all over the country.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion quite yet. The OP could have experienced an isolated example of tackiness. I went to a baby shower at a cafe here a couple of months ago and no one presented me with a bill. I haven't been here long enough to know what social mores require but I am still convinced that local culture doesn't absolve hosts from actually "hosting." There may be a "cash" bar at the reception, but I've seen that kind of tackiness all over the country.
Cash bars at weddings seem typical. The costs usually include so many drinks and then they have a cash bar for those folks that "want more".
That doesn't seem unreasonable IMO since you do have the choice.

What the OP presented is not a typical Austin social custom. This is the first I've heard of it.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Wow. That's a new one. I think I'd return the favor for my birthday!
Uchi, anyone???

Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Tacky to be sure. I'd be taken aback if I was invited to a party and then had to pay for it.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM

326 posts, read 764,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Wow. That's a new one. I think I'd return the favor for my birthday!
Uchi, anyone???
That's too much work. I'd simply write a note on that bill "Thank you for inviting me and spending that much on me. p.s, please kindly remove my name from your invitation list next year".

Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM

575 posts, read 2,495,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
That's too much work. I'd simply write a note on that bill "Thank you for inviting me and spending that much on me. p.s, please kindly remove my name from your invitation list next year".
It seems like the OP is just trying to gauge his gut response against others opinions, but I don't know if this is a friendship breaker, but probably at a minimum declining future birthday parties at their restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin