U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM

644 posts, read 2,298,774 times
Talking How much is electricity bill for a 1-bedroom?

Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me what I can expect to pay in the summer for my electricity bill in order to keep my A/C running in a one or two-bedroom apartment?

Thanks,

Artie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 AM

8,449 posts, read 16,792,240 times
In an apartment, this can vary quite a bit. Generally speaking, if you are on lower floors, not on the end, and are mostly shielded from direct sun, you can get by very cheaply. If you are on a top floor on the south end of a block, it could be quite a bit more. New apartments are much better insulated than older apartments. As for actual dollar cost, that isn't very helpful, is it? You can actually get historical bills for specific units, if you know which one you are looking at. Contact the City of Austin Utilities, and I am sure they will let you know what you need to do to get copies (if you are looking in the city, anyway). Many people do this for houses, but you could look at a couple of apts to get an idea.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:25 AM

21 posts, read 89,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me what I can expect to pay in the summer for my electricity bill in order to keep my A/C running in a one or two-bedroom apartment?

Thanks,

Artie
I don't know if it has started in Austin yet, but also ask the complex who supplies the electricity. If the complex has installed their own meters, then they are marking up the rates they get from the Utility Company, and can be quite a nice profit center for the complex.

They have a single meter from the Utility, and usually qualify for lower rates based on a very high number of KWh collectively used by all the units.

Again, this may not be happening here yet.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM

Actually, I think that is still prohibited in Texas, but not sure. I know they are not allowed to mark-up water.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 AM

1,888 posts, read 4,383,982 times
Artie,

I agree with Trainwreck about contacting Austin Energy and asking about a specific unit in an apartment complex. Before we bought our house, we lived in an apartment (1,200 sf) and our electric bill was always very high, definitely higher than any bill I have received for our house (2,000 sf).

http://www.austinenergy.com/Customer%20Care/index.htm

AT

Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 AM

4,062 posts, read 4,845,946 times
Expect to pay $70-$100 more than during winter months.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Part of the problem in apartments is that the tenent is responsible for the air filter (usually) and, since many tenents don't bother to replace the filters very often, the cooling fins get quite caked with dust. The efficiency drops waaaay down and the cost go waaay up, but nobody cares...the apartment gets no money from cleaning the fins and the new tenent will pay a higher bill rather than pay to clean an apartments own air conditioner unit. Since the tenent will only be there a limited time (usually), that is the cheaper way to go.

Of course, if the unit gets dirty enough, the compressor will burn out from trying (unsuccessfully) to cool the apartment.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,502,180 times
Quote:
Before we bought our house, we lived in an apartment (1,200 sf) and our electric bill was always very high, definitely higher than any bill I have received for our house (2,000 sf).
This could also be because apartment quality construction is SO poor (no insulation, lower quality materials). Even compared to older homes. Single family home construction, in general, are much more efficient.

(one of the main reasons I don't get this new trend to take garden apartments and convert them to "luxury condos". They may be upgrading the inside - but the construction still is what it is)

Old 04-03-2007, 04:52 PM

644 posts, read 2,298,774 times
thanks everyone for your responses. So I'm guessing electricity is around $100 a month during the 5-months of summer and I'm better off in a newer building.

Thanks,
artie

Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 22,087 times
so how much is a bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin