Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM

115 posts, read 451,789 times

Advertisements

Now that my son in law wrecked his car by hitting a hugh buck where would be the best place to buy a used car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 AM

40 posts, read 130,883 times
the huge truck dealer.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,757 times
I hate dealing with used car dealers. If you don't mind getting a good deal vs a great deal (assuming you have superior negotiating skills) I would recommend CarMax. You can research their inventory online and their prices are fixed.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareli View Post
Now that my son in law wrecked his car by hitting a hugh buck where would be the best place to buy a used car?
Cash is king. Many deals to be had from private sellers.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I'd recommend a couple of things. First, does he know what kind of car he wants? If so, do some research on kbb.com and edmunds.com to check the value of the car. I've sold several of my cars outright and usually aimed for "private party value" on kbb, which is going to be cheaper than a dealer will offer it. I use autotrader and craigslist to find specific vehicles (or to list them).

I've had a lot of people tell me they were happy with the overall buying experience from Carmax. I don't necessarily think they would be the cheapest, but there is some comfort in buying one from a dealer vs buying one from an individual should the car have problems.

Other than that, it's pretty much just going to be used cars at any of the dealers. Most of them list their inventory on their website. Just go armed with the most information about what a car is worth and how much you're willing to spend before you start negotiating.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
When buying used cars I always preferred to buy from private individuals and newspaper ads. You can get a better deal from them then buying from a dealership.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM

326 posts, read 764,718 times
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone also have suggestions on what kind of car to buy for a 16 yo new driver? I'm about to have a heart attack on the idea.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
You may want to open up any used car search to San Antonio and Houston. Sometimes Austin can be one of the more expensive markets to buy a car. Just be sure to get a CarFax report, check the value on kbb.com and edmunds.com, check consumer reports for reliability rating, and finally hire your own mechanic to check the car out. Do all those things and you should be good no matter where you decide to buy!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You may want to open up any used car search to San Antonio and Houston. Sometimes Austin can be one of the more expensive markets to buy a car. Just be sure to get a CarFax report, check the value on kbb.com and edmunds.com, check consumer reports for reliability rating, and finally hire your own mechanic to check the car out. Do all those things and you should be good no matter where you decide to buy!
Good point- my neighbor bought his car in Dallas because the models he was looking at were much cheaper there than here.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 97,319 times
Ditto on Dallas -- bought a used Volvo up there, 3 weeks back... Prices significantly lower, and mucho more inventory.

Used Craigslist and autotrader searches to find the car -- ended up buying from a dealer. Whole experience was easy.

Found a few cars online at same dealership, Carfax'd , talked with salesrep, flew up on a Friday afternoon, salesrep picked me up at the airport, test drove and drove back with my new used car that night.

Saved enough to make the trouble worth it.

- Stoop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin