Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 AM

10 posts, read 21,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Do they still teach art in Texas schools? I thought it had been eliminated to make more time for standardized tests and more money for football helmets?
Oh no! Doin't say that! haha I need a job!!!

I can do something else though, moving is more of my priority right now anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM

I'll check it out!!! Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I saw a couple of art teacher positions listed on a couple of the websites recently. I think AISD and Pflugerville, but I don't remember for sure.

There were 4 listings in AISD! That's a million times more hopefull than the Boston area. Thank you so mjuch for the suggestion to look there! I'll really have to look into everyones suggestions in more detail asap.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for things to do duirng at 2 day visit?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Interesting proposition, how to get the "real" flavor of Austin in a short period of time. For a driving tour that will give you a good cross section of what the community is like I'd suggest this, it avoids the freeways as much as possible, as you can't get the flavor of a place from a freeway. It takes you through some average and typical neighborhoods, instead of just the nicest parts of town.

From the airport to your hotel/motel: The freeway there is Hwy 71, take it West to nearby Hwy 183 and go north East 7th street and take it West into downtown. This area around 183 is the most industrial part of town (not all that much). East 7th street has the highest concentration of hispanic citizens, it is relatively poor but you don't need to worry about your safety while driving through. Stop in at Joes Bakery and Coffe Shop index , (family run, family recipies a great place for a mexican breakfast) 2305 East Seventh Street for something to eat or to buy some mexican pastries to take to your hotel room.

Jog south one block to East 6th Street and take it West the rest of they way into downtown. Once you pass under the freeway I-35, you will be in the East 6th street entertainment area of town, lots of clubs, bars, restaurants, very active nightlife. Drive through to Congress Avenue and take it south to your hotel. There are hike and bike trails along both sides of the river for most of its length in downtown, and it is almost always busy. Once you cross the river you are in the SoCo neighborhood of Congress Avenue SoCo (South Congress) Neighborhood in Austin | Small Planet Guide .

Stop in at http://www.guerostacobar.com/‎ (broken link) to sample some "typical" Tex Mex mexican food and have a marguerite while you are there. I recommend cheese or beef enchiladas. Or if you'd like to try one of Austin's "hippy" palces try Magnolia Cafe, 1920 S. Congress Ave. They have a full menu and serve breakfast 24 hours a day. I highly recommend the Magnolia Omlet or Migas. Then check into your hotel. You might as well relax and explore SoCo your first night there.

For your next driving tour jog 3 or 4 blocks west and get on South 1st Street, take it North across the river and admire our new City Hall. The street turns into Lavaca Street, continue North past the state capital to 19th street. Lavaca dead ends at 19th street, stay in the Right lane turning LEFT and go one block and turn RIGHT onto Guadalupe Street. Continue North past the University of Texas, Guadalupe is known as the "Drag", A very busy student oriented street. Continue up Guadalupe to 38th street and go LEFT West for 8 blocks or so to Shoal Creek Blvd. To North on Shoal Creek Blvd, this is a nice winding drive through a nice older middle class neighborhood.

Continue North to Allandale Road, RM 2222, go LEFT and continue WEST on 2222 for a pretty nice drive through the hill country to Lake Travis where I recommend you have lunch at the Oasis (more below).

While on 2222 you will cross under Loop 360, Capital of Texas Highway. If you would like to see a typical Texas swimming hole, take a short detour North on Lakewood Drive, it intersects 2222 a block or so before you cross under Loop 360. Take Lakewood Drive less then a mile to Bull Creek Park, its a very pretty little park with a nice swimming hole. The parking lot for the park is right after you drive across the low water crossing.

To get there stay on 2222 all the way to Ranch Road 620, turn LEFT on 620. Drive less then a half a mile or so to Commanche Trail and turn RIGHT onto Comanche Trail. Follow the signs to the The Oasis | Lake Travis | Austin Texas and stop there for lunch or dinner. You can use the telescopes there to check out the public nude beach at Hippy Hollow across the lake.
http://www.oasis-austin.com/gallery/gallery_photos18.jpg (broken link)

After lunch continue down Comanche Trail and go skinny dipping at Hippy Hollow, McGregor Park, it is a County park where clothing is optional, nudity is legal here. If nudity bothers you drive a little bit further to Bob Wentz Park and go swimming at Windy Point. I think there is a small fee to use either park, they used to be free.

After your swim continue SouthWest on RR 620 to the small town of Bee Cave at Hwy 71. This drive will loop you back into South Ausin to get you back to South Congress Avenue.

Take Hwy 71 East into SouthWest Austin, the OakHill area. You can continue on Hwy 71 to the "Y" intersection with Hwy 290 where Hwy 71 and 290 join. Turn LEFT at the "Y" and continue EAST a short distance to the next stop light at William Cannon Drive. Turn Right onto William Cannon Drive and go about 5 miles to South Congress Avenue. This drive is mostly through middle to lower class neighborhoods. Turn LEFT and go North back to your hotel room on Congress Avenue.

While you are in the Oak Hill area, if you would like to see the nicest "middle class" neighborhood in SW Austin, where I live, immediately after turning onto William Cannon Drive the next light is Escarpment Blvd. Turn south on it and drive through the Legend Oaks neighborhood, where I live. If you continue down Escarpment a little over 2 miles and cross Slaughter Lane you will be in the Circle C neighborhood, which is a little more expensive. This part of town has good access to downtown if you need to commute to work there. It usually takes me 30 minutes or so during rush hour on MoPac Loop 1. Off peak it only takes 15 minutes or so.

See my profile for a link to a post I made about nice apartments in the SW part of town.

Here are a few other threads with other ideas of things to see and do.

If you only had 24 hours in Austin

The Top Things Every Austinite Should See/Do?

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-29-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Default How do you judge an art compeition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Lake Travis has a very good art program. Texas has a state level art competition called VASE - Visual Arts Scholastic Event. It is a large event and Lake Travis high school has done very well.
Only in Texas do they turn art in to a competition. I guess its more like football that way.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Hmmm....what's wrong with art students competing for statewide recognition? It isn't required.

What about math students, debators, chess players? The have competition too.

The opportunity to earn a "gold seal" at VASE State is very special. It can motivate some kids to truly invest in their work. In 2008 about 130 kids earned a gold seal out of 13,000 pieces.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Only in Texas do they turn art in to a competition. I guess its more like football that way.
OH, COME ON! Go ahead and google "art competition" and you will find they have juried exhibitions in New York. What the heck do you think a juried exhibition is? What do you think happens when several artists submit design entries for a monument? I get that you don't like TX, but now you're just being silly about it.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Have lunch at the Oasis?!?!?!? Do you not have taste buds Seriously, stop for a drink at the Oasis and go somewhere else for lunch. With all of the delectable possibilities in the Austin area, a dry, flavorless, $12 chicken sandwich would be a real waste.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
OH, COME ON! Go ahead and google "art competition" and you will find they have juried exhibitions in New York. What the heck do you think a juried exhibition is? What do you think happens when several artists submit design entries for a monument? I get that you don't like TX, but now you're just being silly about it.
Yes I agree.

I promise to the art competition complainer that the kids who "compete" are thrilled to have their works judged against the best in the state. VASE makes the state presentation an event over a weekend in Clear Lake. The art teachers and their students go as a group - then look at all the award winners, take part in mini-clinics, etc. It's a great weekend for the kids.

It seems that other states in New England have art competition too!

How about Connecticut? See here.

The best of the best, whatever the activity, like to compete at their specialty.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 PM

6 posts, read 9,270 times
Quote:
Do they still teach art in Texas schools? I thought it had been eliminated to make more time for standardized tests and more money for football helmets?
really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin