Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 AM

111 posts, read 293,608 times

Advertisements

I would rather be in California, but I am not yelling it at the rooftops. I moved to Austin because it meant a better quality of life for me, with more opportunities than California could offer at the moment.

Sure, I have seen a couple things in Austin that made me wonder, but when I think back on California, I can think of a lot of things that just leave a sour taste in my mouth. California is where I consider home, and that will be difficult to break, maybe even impossible. However, Austin has taken me in, and is treating me nicely for the most part. Any complaint that I DO have is not big enough to actually moan about, so who cares?

As many of the other people have said, if you like New England for what it has to offer, why don't you go? Why don't I move back to California? Because the economy is tanked, the people often have crap attitudes, and the cost of living is crazy. Austin is the reverse of all of those.

I suggest you make a pros and cons list of each place, and then divide them into "Big Pros/Cons" and "Small Pros/Cons" and actually take a good hard look. I don't think anyone is going to have a larger "Big Cons" list for Austin. If so, then you have found something near perfection, and I think we would all like to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,206,991 times
Believe me, if you moved to New England, you'd be all over the New England board complaining about the weather. It's pretty much ALL my friends EVER talk about. "It's too cold! It's too hot!"

And if you didn't like TexasHorseLady's "attitude" (I thought she was just being honest), I can't imagine what you'd think about the "attitude" in New England. Austin, it ain't. "Then get the hell out or shut up!" is more in line with the Northeast, heh.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM

174 posts, read 499,789 times
[quote=capcat;8580283]No offense, but that's the kind of reaction you could expect anywhere when longing for your beloved insert other area or state here instead of where you and those you're communicating with live. Maybe share it with people in New England if you want a different reaction? Again, no offense intended, just a thought.

Well,I can tell you that I have never met or seen a bigger group of people who are extremely insecure about themselves and suffer from some type of inferiority complex.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
No, he probably isn't, but truth, in this case, is subjective .

Old 04-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
No, he probably isn't, but truth, in this case, is subjective .
Truth is never subjective only the appearance of it.
when someone dies of swine flu in Texas is that the truth or is it subjective ?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM

If someone likes an area because they think it is nice, is the 'truth' that the are is nice? It is for them, but may not be for someone else. It may be, that in some cases, there is no absolute truth....

Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM

“Since there is no God to will what is good, we must will our own good. And since there is no eternal value, we must will the eternal recurrence of the same state of affairs.” Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Hitler adopted Nietzsche view of truth and incorporated this in his own view of what is truth. The Holocaust and the death of millions was the result of this truth.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM

LOL...that is a stretch...you're telling me that someone liking a place is going to lead to a holocaust?

As for your quote, your have taken the liberty of freely exchanging 'good' and 'truth', which are not necessarily interchangable.

Look at the crusades and see what an absolute view of 'good' leads to, or maybe the spanish inquisition. Not that I believe any of the above events has anything to do with 'good' or 'truth', it was just a means of rationalizing it (and poorly, at that).

Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM

just because you think something to be true does not make it so.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Heh....I guess you are making my point for me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin