Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM

80 posts, read 687,711 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a home and I realize most of the homes I have seen don't have gutters. I am a NY transplant so I am assuming you don't need gutters in this weather. Am I right? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
It's smart to install gutters, but most homes don't have them. If you have good slope away from the house and foundation, you might not even need them. But to control where the water flows and gathers around your home and foundation during rain, gutters are very useful along with proper grading and landscaping.

So, when buying, you neither add or subtract actual value for gutters, but it's a plus if they are there and in good working order, provided the drain spouts are properly located.

Steve

Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My last house did not have gutters, so I ended up adding them so I could have a flower bed out front. It was actually pretty inexpensive, although that one was also very easy. dont remember exactly how much, but I was below the minimum amount unless I did both front and back (really only need front).

The house I am in now has about 6 feet of gutter around the front door area. With the way our roof is sloped and the way our property is graded, there really is no need for gutters elsewhere.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Hmmm....I don't know if I'd say "most" homes don't have gutters. Maybe most in certain price ranges?

I think gutters are very useful to manage rainfall off the roof. Some of our rainshowers can be very heavy. And gutters can really help with minimizing rainfall damage around the house.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
This is a source of endless bickering between my dh and me. I think they're ugly and he says they're important for the foundation. I've won so far...

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
We don't have basements in Austin, most all houses are on a reinfored concrete slab. Also, there is a required setback, usually 25 feet or more, as to where a house may be contructed away from the street. So, most all houses have a yard that encircles the house to soak up rain water. Also, historically, Austin houses have had large roof overhangs and/or porches (pre-airconditioning), gutters would have been redundant. And, since Austin is water plenty, we've never needed water catching devices.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 04-29-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I had never heard of or seen a house that didn't have gutters until I moved down here. Even if you have grass all around your house to "soak up rain water," you will still have a lot of water and moisture next to your foundation, which is not good. It's not good for maintaining the intregrity of the foundation or keeping mold at bay. Also, the reason we don't have basements here is because the soil is very clay-like or there is rock near the surface, neither of which allow for absorption of much water - hence the reason we have flash floods all the time here. If our house didn't have gutters, i would have added them as soon as we moved in.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Look at the house before you decide, I would suggest. Our house mainly sheds water on two sides, both of which have a noticeable grade away from the house, plus the eaves extend pretty far. The front door has a small gutter 'system' around it due to some water that runs off the garage that way, and the back porch sheds water into the back yard, but it lands at the far side of the patio from the house. I have never seen standing water around our house, even after a deluge. Even if it did stand for some period of time, I am not sure what the damage would be to a foundation sitting directly on a sheet of solid rock.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It was actually pretty inexpensive, although that one was also very easy. dont remember exactly how much, but I was below the minimum amount unless I did both front and back (really only need front).
It can be expensive. I was looking a while back at adding plain seamless gutters to my house but it's a hip roof and I have 5 bay windows (i.e. a lot of corners)...the estimates were all around $15,000. I kept my leaky gutters.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 AM

WOW....my seamless aluminum gutter on a 60' straight run in the front (with spouts at the corners) and about 30 feet in the back (around a porch) ended up costing around $600 or $700, I think. There were some higher bids, but there were for more expensive materials, mainly, or heavier gauge metal. Could have been a little more or less, but was definitely under $1,000 and that was about three years ago, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin