Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM

15 posts, read 55,451 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a specific area or community in central or south Austin. We're planning a move from New Orleans over the summer and have two boys that will need a good elementary school. I've heard about and checked out Zilker Elem and Barton Hills Elem. I really don't know what the district borders are or where else I should look. My husband works mostly from home, so if we're moving to Austin, we want to be in the heart. We are purely moving because we love the city and have decided to embark on this family adventure. We'd like to also be close to parks (although it seems like it's tough to find anything that isn't near one). We are looking for something in the $200k-$275k range with enough room for the four of us. I think I have a very good idea of where NOT to look (the thread about the 969 neighborhood was mine).
Also, we're not opposed to leasing and may have to do that anyway until we're more familiar. Best way to find single homes for lease? Drive around? Craigslist seems inundated with apt complexes only.
Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
You are very unlikely to find a home in the 200-275K price range in either the Barton Hills or Zilker Elementary zone. Maybe but not likely.

You need a good realtor! There are individual homes for rent in the Austin MLS, a realtor would have access to them. Leasing would be good option.

good luck!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
It's not south, but it is central - you might want to check out Brentwood (Crestview). There are several homes in the Brentwood district that are in your price range. In the Zilker district, there's at the moment one on the MLS in your price range. I also checked out the Highland Park elementary district, just on a hunch, and there are a couple there.

And, yes, houses for lease tend to be on the MLS and an agent can help you with that.

I concur that leasing for about 6 months and then buying can be the way to go if you're completely new to town - it gives you a breather while you get your feet on the ground.

Welcome to Austin! New Orleans is my second favorite place to be (I'm a foodie, what can I say?).

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 55,451 times
Thanks very much. I will check out that neighborhood and school...and will likely do just that with the leasing and buying after I'm more familiar.
And yes, New Orleans is amazing, but she's smacked us around a bit with the weather and educational and judicial systems. I think it's time for a fresh start.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
I second Crestview. The area north of Crestview, north of Koenig Lane to Anderson Lane is nice as well.

Also, Rosedale, and to the north, Bryker Woods may fit your interest:

BrykerWoods Neighborhood Association (BWNA)

Others: north of Bryker Woods is the Shoal Creek area, and north of that area is Allandale, look in there too:

The Allandale Reporter

North of Allendale to Research Blvd. (east of MOPAC and west of Burnet Rd.), is another area you might consider. The area bounded by streets Koenig, Lamar, Anderson and Research is older, but many find that area to their liking. One other area to consider is North Guadalupe. Go north on Guadalupe St. from 51st to St. Johns Street, look to the west and east along the way.

Highland Park and Northwest Hills (west of MOPAC) are beautiful areas of Austin, but most if not all housing, will be greater than your stated budget.

South of the river: stay west of IH35, period. You many find homes in several nice areas south of Ben White Blvd.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 04-29-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM

139 posts, read 451,065 times
You won't find anything in that price range in either Rosedale or Brykerwoods - I second Crestview or Brentwood

Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
The Legend Oaks neighborhood where I live is in SW Austin, here along both sides of Escarpment Blvd. from William Cannon down to Slaughter Lane. There are few new homes going into the area as it is built up, our home was built in 1989, it was one of the first in this part of the subdivision. It is appraised at about $250,000 for 4 bedroom, 2 bath, all brick, high ceilings, arched insulated glass windows, mature trees shading the lot. The areas South of Davis Lane are all a little newer but similar.

Every time I drive into our neighborhood down the winding green landscaped boulevards, I am thankful that I live here. It is a very pretty area even if the all brick homes are traditional in appearance. There are always people out jogging, bicycling, walking with kids and dogs.

I'm sure there are other neighborhoods in Austin that are as nice.

If you want to find something less expensive look at at the Westcreek area. Same zip code, SW Austin Oak Hill area, a little older, less expensive construction but decent homes and excellent schools. A small 3 bedroom 2 bath home is appraised around $180,000. That is one of the smallest homes in the area. Search for Westcreek Drive on Google maps.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 AM

SE and South Central Austin have some of the highest crime rates in the City, but they are still relatively low compared to most cities. The areas of SW Austin, West of Mo-pac Loop 1 are some of the lowest crime rates in the City.

Read more about this here Robberies and burglaries up in SW Austin 2007 vs 2008

View crime statistics on a map here http://www.spotcrime.com/tx/austin Keep in mind this map appears to show only statistics for the City of Austin, so when you get to areas outside the city limits it shows no crime.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-30-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM

This website may be helpful. Look up census data by zip code Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

zip code map
The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!

Austin crime stats - zip code
http://malford.ci.austin.tx.us/police/zipcode/zipcode/zip_2008.pdf (broken link)
http://malford.ci.austin.tx.us/police/zipcode/zipcode/ZIP_2007.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
My initial impression is that I find it difficult to believe the highest and lowest crime areas are right next to each other (S and SW).
I will dig through the info you have given Mr. CptnRn to find out for myself though. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed- cool website btw.

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin