U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,959 times
Question How to acquire land that supposedly noone owns

I am trying to buy some cheap land that isn't 10 hours away from austin, and as I drive around austin, I see MANy plots of land but with no signs for sale. When plugging in the address at the tax assessor, nothing comes up. SOMeone must own it right? Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM

2,235 posts, read 2,820,417 times
You're probably plugging in a wrong address. You may SEE the property on Main Street, but another side of the property may be on John Doe Street, and another side may be on Wherever Way, and another side may be on Not For Sale Drive.......

The actual address can be on any of those streets. Also, if there is no structure on the property, there may be no actual address (like mailing address). It may be listed in tax records as Lot 1, Section 4, Pedernales Plateau or something like that.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 AM

14,066 posts, read 18,433,190 times
Yep, addresses are not assigned to a property until a building is put on it. You may have to visit the tax office and look up the property description on a tax plat (map) and then look up the title for the property to find out who owns it. That is what you had to do in the past before they started putting information on the web.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 AM

324 posts, read 864,619 times
you can find the address of an adjoining property. look that adjoining property up on tcad, look at the platt maps and find that property on the platt, then look and see how travis co identifies the property that you are looking for and then use that number to search

Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM

3,902 posts, read 5,706,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
you can find the address of an adjoining property. look that adjoining property up on tcad, look at the platt maps and find that property on the platt, then look and see how travis co identifies the property that you are looking for and then use that number to search
Here is the tcad URL

Travis Central Appraisal District

You can find any houses on the street by looking up the street name, then looking at the plats, then using the property ID listed on the plats in the tcad search to find the specific property. I use the tif version, but if you have itunes installed it will try to use quicktime to open the tif which doesnt work. It is extremely difficult to stop quicktime from opening up the tif files.

I think the tif files open best with microsoft windows picture and fax viewer.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM

3,729 posts, read 5,065,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine1970 View Post
I am trying to buy some cheap land that isn't 10 hours away from austin, and as I drive around austin, I see MANy plots of land but with no signs for sale. When plugging in the address at the tax assessor, nothing comes up. SOMeone must own it right? Help
If there are no signs saying the land is for sale, then it's not for sale. It could be that the land is protected green space. What parts of "around Austin" are you referencing. Honestly, there is no such thing as cheap land around Austin.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,317,063 times
When you find land that no one owns, let me know.

I think there is relatively inexpensive land though - I would look towards Bastrop for quality farm land or acreage if that's what you want. I would talk to either Austin-Steve or TexasHorseLady - they're realtors.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 AM

434 posts, read 626,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
When you find land that no one owns, let me know.

Plenty of land ... on the Moon, Mars, Venus ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin