Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times

Advertisements

To tell you the truth, I think Synopsis said it best. I think parking in the driveway looks totally trashy and I can't stand it. But, we do it on occasion when we have projects in the driveway.

Old Toliets- you sound very much like me though. I want to move away from an HOA but where I don't have to worry about anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuledbyBlueBell View Post
To tell you the truth, I think Synopsis said it best. I think parking in the driveway looks totally trashy and I can't stand it. But, we do it on occasion when we have projects in the driveway.

Old Toliets- you sound very much like me though. I want to move away from an HOA but where I don't have to worry about anyone else.
very interesting, we are polar opposite on our asthetic choices.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuledbyBlueBell View Post

I don't think my husband's Audi looks trashy in the driveway. And even our crazy-anal HOA (Steiner Ranch) doesn't think so either. Besides, I hate that thing, so with any luck it will get stolen.

Another reason - My neighbor has a 2 car garage. They have 3 cars (his, hers, and their daughters - a freshman at Concordia). So, they have no choice. But it's not like they're junkers or anything.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
I noticed last night that a house across from us has parked a pickup on the lawn on the side of the house

I hope that it's not there very long.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
One of the few houses on my old street in Circle C that had a clean enough garage to get both cars into had to join the rest of us when they bought two new Toyotas in one day (a truck and an SUV) and both of them were too long for their garage. It was a pretty funny moment when they tried to pull both of them in because they were always ragging on the rest of us for parking outside our garages. That being said, I have a much bigger garage in WA and I still don't have a car inside because we still have too many bikes and now a sailboat in it, a woodworking area, and the list goes on. But I do aspire to be someone who can one day get a car in my garage. :0

Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Ahh, but that is my point. At my car's age, it is worth about $4,000 for a trade in, might get $5,000 if I tried to sell it. The stuff in the garage is, at least in aggregate, much more valuable. Yeah, sure, it cost a lot when I bought it, but no matter how it gets there, it is going to get down to the minimum trade in value eventually before I part with it. MY wife's bicycle is now worth a bit more than my car - and that is just her GOOD bike, not her mountain bike or my hybrid bike or her tri-bike. The pottery wheel, the back up fridge, the camping stuff, the kayak, etc. are all used too often to convienently go in the attic and can't hang out in the driveway. Nor is there really a place for them in the house.

My car is also a commuter vehicle - I get in before the sun rises and once I get home I do not get back in it. Weekends we do take my wife's vehicle, which is in the garage.

My hail protection is my insurance policy, although a few dings are hardly worth the time it takes to fix em. I think I still got a bit of redneck in me .

Btw, calling a car an investment is kind of a stretch...it is your most expensive expense. Investment implies a return on your money. Of course, with the market of late, my money might have done better invested in a car .
amazon.com sells ceiling racks that are hung by wires. You use a crank to raise and lower it. It actually is really nice to store stuff out of the way and it is extremely quick to get down. I wouldnt use it for bikes, but for camping gear or kayaks they would be great.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
amazon.com sells ceiling racks that are hung by wires. You use a crank to raise and lower it.
Believe me, we looked, but the kayak is 21' long, which is wider than our garage. It would theoretically fit in from front to back, but then the garage door would hit it when it opens . We have a wall mount which allows you to rack the kayay up on its side, and it takes up one entire wall above the pottery table. We did get rid of our 21' aluminum extension ladder which used to be there. If I need to get that high up on the house, I need to hire someone...I am too old for that stuff anymore .

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
This thread is further proof to me that we have too much stuff.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 16,495 times

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Do they hold up table saws? :-)

If they would let me build a seperate shop, I totally would but those aren't allowed either.

This topic reminds me of a topic about street parking that got as far as saying that children should play inside the houses and shouldn't ride bikes in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin