Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23runner View Post
We park both cars in the garage. Isn't that what a garage is for?
good question:

ga·rage (g-räzh, -räj)

n. 1. A building or indoor space in which to park or keep a motor vehicle.
2. A commercial establishment where cars are repaired, serviced, or parked.

If we don't park cars in our garages, we will have to create another "pseudo-fronsch" name for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise
Legally, no subdivision has the right to make people not park on public property.

and that's simply not true. Now you may have misspoken, or meant to say "Public Street" instead of "Public Property", but it still wouldn't be True. Many Public streets are illegal to park on.

However, subdivisions do not pass the statutes regarding where parking is allowed on public streets (those streets paid for and maintained with tax monies) and where it is not. That, I believe, was the point that was being made that you are quibbling with.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM

16 posts, read 32,254 times
Let’s break down the functionality of a home. A typical home has a kitchen, family room, bedroom, bathroom, living, and maybe a dinning room and a garage.

Common sense (loosely) would indicate meals are prepared in the kitchen, not on the front lawn. Showers are taken in the bathroom, not in the backyard (not everyone) Sleeping is reserved for the bedroom, not on the roof. And what about the good old garage. What do we put in that big beautiful empty room? It’s convenient to put junk in the garage used once every six months. After all, it’s a huge place begging you to store all the crap you have been lugging around for years.

Logically speaking, the car is put in the garage but, let’s say you need additional storage to accommodate the oversized SUV used to and from work. There’s a great concept out there in case you didn’t know. It’s called shelving. Also, hooks for bikes, garden tools, ladders, etc.

For people living in the Austin area, a garage is an absolute breeding ground for mice, not to mention the dreaded R word. They love your messy garage so go on keep ‘m happy. They’ll invite more friends over for a long visit. Better yet, hang a neon sign out front. “Mice welcomed long term rates available."

Last edited by 23runner; 01-07-2010 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: corrections

Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Let’s break down the functionality of a home. A typical home has a kitchen, family room, bedroom, bathroom, living, and maybe a dinning room and a garage.

Common sense (loosely) would indicate meals are prepared in the kitchen, not on the front lawn. Showers are taken in the bathroom, not in the backyard (not everyone) Sleeping is reserved for the bedroom, not on the roof. And what about the good old garage. What do we put in that big beautiful empty room? It’s convenient to put junk in the garage used once every six months. After all, it’s a huge place begging you to store all the crap you have been lugging around for years.

Logically speaking, the car is put in the garage but, let’s say you need additional storage to accommodate the oversized SUV used to and from work. There’s a great concept out there in case you didn’t know. It’s called shelving. Also, hooks for bikes, garden tools, ladders, etc.

For people living in the Austin area, a garage is an absolute breeding ground for mice, not to mention the dreaded R word. They love your messy garage so go on keep ‘m happy. They’ll invite more friends over for a long visit. Better yet, hang a neon sign out front. “Mice welcomed long term rates available
Well, dang! What about all those garages that people in Austin don't park in that don't have junk in them (made into game room, say, or man cave) or that are used for storage but don't have mice (experience, personal and that of others, has shown that not parking in your garage, even storing stuff in the garage, does not guarantee a "breeding ground for mice" in Austin)? Who STILL park their cars in their garages, which is their right and, according to quite a few people, not offensive at all aesthetically? And who drive Priuses, say, not "oversized SUV's"? (Stereotyping much?) Really throws a kink into that argument doesn't it?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
However, subdivisions do not pass the statutes regarding where parking is allowed on public streets (those streets paid for and maintained with tax monies) and where it is not. That, I believe, was the point that was being made that you are quibbling with.
No, THL, the point that was stated by Rialese was. "I can park where I want, you are being ridiculous, I would like to see someone tell me where to park I would give them a piece of my mind and then some, no one can legally tell me I can't park where I want." If that is not the point Rialese meant, then she could have clarified when asked to clarified. And that point, that she didn't clarify, isn't true.

I never said that subdivisisons pass statutes. What I did say is that an HOA can set rules. And if an HOA has rules that say "you can't park in the street" then you can't park in the street. Period. Now, if you do park in the street; the HOA may choose to hire a private tow company, they may choose to fine you, they may choose to do nothing. But they can STILL MAKE THE RULE. So when you say "subdivisons do not pass the statues regarding where parking is allowed on public streets" I disagree. HOA's can and do make whatever rules they feel maintain property value and peace in a neighborhood. And you are made aware of the HOA rules when you buy into it. So my point was "If you didn't like the rules, why move into that HOA?" Keep in mind, this all hypothetical, because I think you SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARK IN YOUR DRIVEWAY if that makes you happy. And as I said in my posts, the posts that are obviously not read by either THL or rialese even though they comment on them, I have never heard of an HOA that has a "no driveway" rule.

THL and Rialese are arguing semantics, saying that I have said things I haven't said. Or assuming things about me. I am not "quibbling" any point. I am wondering how THL, a realtor who deals with HOAs, can actually post here "well subdivisions can't do that." when she knows that's not true. When she knows that HOA's certainly can and do say "You can't park in the street. You can't leave your garbage out before 6PM. You can't paint your house a certain color. You can't have a sattelite dish." The question is not whether HOA's SHOULD do this, or whether Jaybrown80 feels that it's FAIR if HOA's do this. It's "can HOA's do this." And the answer is, yes they can. Anyone who has ever been a member of an HOA knows this. Now, hypothetically, could Rialese sue her HOA if they did have a statute about parking in her driveway. Sure, she certainly could. But in my mind, that violates the spirit of the agreement you entered into. Why enter into the agreement if you didn't plan on honoring it?

If I was told, "If you buy this house you can't park in the driveway", then I would have a choice to either A) conform to the rules and don't park in the driveway. Or B) Not buy the house if that rule seemed unfair to me.

It would not be honest to say C) Yeah, I'll buy the house, and I'll park in my driveway if I damn well please, and if you try to stop me, then I will clog up the court systems suing your pants off because this is America buddy and I can do whatever I want! Whoo hoo...for beautiful for spacious skies, for parking in your drivewaaaaayyyy!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Well, dang! What about all those garages that people in Austin don't park in that don't have junk in them (made into game room, say, or man cave) or that are used for storage but don't have mice (experience, personal and that of others, has shown that not parking in your garage, even storing stuff in the garage, does not guarantee a "breeding ground for mice" in Austin)? Who STILL park their cars in their garages, which is their right and, according to quite a few people, not offensive at all aesthetically? And who drive Priuses, say, not "oversized SUV's"? (Stereotyping much?) Really throws a kink into that argument doesn't it?

Apologies; let me preface. I am referring to brand spanking new housing developments. The likelihood of a homeowner finishing off a garage is well, not very likely.

As far as oversized SUVs (one person driving) in Austin and Dallas and they do crowd the roads. I’ve always thought Texas citizens got some sort of tax break driving them. Listen, I’m a huge Texas fan. I really like the State of Texas. I want to live there but job has me in Portland. I am not picking on Austin. It’s all light hearted fun.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Apologies; let me preface. I am referring to brand spanking new housing developments. The likelihood of a homeowner finishing off a garage is well, not very likely.
Likelier than you might think, based on the number that I've seen that have done exactly that in brand spanking new housing developments! (But, granted, I see the insides of a lot more houses than anyone whose job doesn't involve doing that.)

Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You can't have a sattelite dish."
They actually cant say this

FCC LAW

Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,951 times
Oh Gosh!!! Don't get me started on satellite dishes. I could spawn another 258 comments with my feelings on those. LOL!!!

Last edited by XLadylawX; 01-07-2010 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: spelling & content

Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Likelier than you might think, based on the number that I've seen that have done exactly that in brand spanking new housing developments! (But, granted, I see the insides of a lot more houses than anyone whose job doesn't involve doing that.)

Interesting to say the least.

Always thought I would have a better chance of seeing a naked person climb the Empire State Building than someone finish off a garage in a brand new home they just moved in. Is it feasible to open up a Sports Bar in the upstairs of my home? A move back to Texas is a must now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin