Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM

99 posts, read 180,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And this is the kind of stereotypical (and, frankly, prejudiced) attitude that scares me about HOA supporters.

I see a LOT of neighborhoods, and the above could not be further from the truth.

Are there neighborhoods where people don't care about their property (or don't have the resources to take care of it once they've got it)? Absolutely.

Does not having an HOA mean it's even probable that the above will be the case in a neighborhood. Not on your life.

One thing I have just realized, though, thinking about it in the light of the original topic, is that neighborhoods where the cars are always hidden away behind closed garage doors also seem to have fewer people out and about in the neighborhood, whereas those where the cars are parked in the driveway tend to have people out in their yards, kids playing, people visiting with the neighbors, mowing the lawn, going for a walk - life is visible rather than hidden away behind closed doors just like the vehicles. Interesting - I'm going to have to observe and see if what I'm remembering seeing matches what I'm seeing when I'm paying close attention.

The HOA mentality is very reflective of the broken windows theory studied back in the early 80’s. Sure not every neighborhood is this way. It takes just one to start a really big problem. If you needed to sell land next to a poorly maintained home, you would inherently get less money for it. Many laws are created from the few that make bad decisions. Now the rest of us have to be told that coffee is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Garages are storage! Everyone knows that.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Garages are storage! Everyone knows that.
I beg to differ. Garages are for turning into woodwork shops :-)

Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Back to the original question:I don't park my car in my garage because the garage has a lot of other stuff in it, such as a motorcycle which wouldn't be in my possession for long if it were parked out in the open.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I beg to differ. Garages are for turning into woodwork shops :-)
I beg to differ again. Here in Austin, they are for soundproofing and rehearsing with your band. Except in the summer.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Garages are for sitting in lawnchairs to smoke and drink with the door open and watch your neighbors go by. Seriously, this seems to be the suburban concept of a front porch.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Garages are for sitting in lawnchairs to smoke and drink with the door open and watch your neighbors go by. Seriously, this seems to be the suburban concept of a front porch.
I had to lol when I read that. So true.
The frontloaders are perfect for that as the garage is bigger and covered compared to the little walkways leading up to a door with no front porch.

And I have seen several that do that...oh how funny (and true).

Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
You are definitely correct about the garage being the suburban concept of a front porch! When it is open, it's like you are sitting on the front porch -- neighbors know it's OK to come up and talk. Aesthetically it's not very pretty, but socially it works OK.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:04 PM

65 posts, read 189,070 times
Quote:
and playing pool and darts while you're hanging out...

Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,902,912 times
People do have too much stuff. In my opinion, simplification is cleansing: Give it away, recycle it, or--if need be, throw it out. Just think of how much space you'd save.
That being said, I don't mind people parking in their driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin