Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM

24 posts, read 131,149 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is relocating to Austin from Seattle. Not sure where we'll be working yet, perhaps at Dell or Frog design. We're 4 (myself, my husband, a 2.5 year old, and a 1 year old). We visited Austin last year and saw the circle c area and steiner ranch area and liked them both, but haven't decided where to start seriously looking for a house (or maybe there's a similar area like them that's a better fit for us?).

Here's our list of priorities. We'd love any help in making a decision.

1. New/Newer house year 2000+ for under 350k
2. Great schools
3. Close to some shopping/grocery stores
4. Professionals/young families in the neighborhood
5. Near parks/water/activities/community centers
6. Convenient location to get to downtown austin/shopping malls/good restaurants
7. Low home owner's dues and taxes (if that exists)
8. Big yard and houses not too close together (preferably a little private with somewhat of a view)

Thanks so much in advance for responding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times
They are really similar in many ways. However, I think Steiner (where we live) has better schools and better communiy ammenities. There is 20 miles of hike and bike trails, 3 community centers with pools, and 12 (I think) playgrounds (playscapes). The commute to downtown is probably a little shorter from Circle C, but the commute to Dell is a lot shorter from Steiner. The other negative is that our property taxes are really high, but I think it's worth it. We looked into both when we were buying a house and Steiner won out. Don't regret it for a minute.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 PM

22 posts, read 96,841 times
Howdy:

We moved from SEA to Austin a couple months back. Like mm57 above, we love our area and don't regret it a bit-- though we chose Circle C rather than Steiner. I work from home, so commute isn't an issue. In general, Circle C just fit for us a bit better. Steiner was a very close second though.

I recap'd our move here:

Seattle to Austin: Recap

Feel free to pm if you have any questions re: moving from rain-to-sun.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,408,673 times
I believe that the property taxes in Circle C are slightly less than Steiner, 2.1 or something like that, but I could be wrong. The schools in the Circle C area are outstanding. I don't know much about Steiner schools but do know that Circle C's are some of the best in Austin.

Either place is very nice.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,022,199 times
We moved from Seattle to Austin and currently rent in circle c (we used to own a home down here when we lived in Austin last). Right now we are looking to purchase again and we had our realtor take us up to Steiner to look. We decided to stay down here, in Circle C, because although you can get better deals on houses in Steiner, it is just so convenient being 10 minutes from downtown. We have friends up in Steiner and they hardly ever go downtown because it is too big of a hassle.

In Circle C we are also just about 10 minutes to South Congress's boutiques and galleries and just over an hour from San Antonio.

Additionally, down here we have so many dining options within a 15 minute drive (including the Salt Lick!) if you are up in Steiner, the dining options are really limited.

Both have "exemplary" schools and both have houses for under $350. However, neither have low taxes and both require an outlay of anywhere from 400 to 800 (maybe more) in annual home owner association fees.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
I would say they are both very, very similar.
If you like the 'lake life', then I would choose Steiner.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,058,689 times
both are really, really great neighborhoods and areas. I think you really have to check it out on your own, and really dive into the areas, to see which one fits you best.

Although, I would agree that if you work at Dell, Stiener will be much, much easier.

Stiener is like a resort type country club, w/ great friends and amenities. Circle C is like a great home away from home w/ all the necessities (shopping, dining, events) right at your finger tips, almost concierge type living. Both are really big communities, and have a lot to offer families. It really is down to which one fits you best, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times
I have to respectfully disagree with the assertion that there are no restaurants close to Steiner. There are several IN Steiner itself that we can walk to. That doesn't include all of the ones towards Lakeway - none of which are chains BTW.

Also, ALL of Steiner schools are exemplary. I don't think that's the case with Circle C, but I could be wrong. However, we do pay for that - our taxes are higher than Circle C.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,408,673 times
I'd have to disagree with Steiner schools being better than Circle C, the schools here are exactly the same as the ones in Steiner. They are equal. If you are working North, then Steiner would be the better place for you. Just did a check on the schools in Circle C, all ES are exemplary. Bowie HS is beyond that. I'm sure the rest are the same.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,511,725 times
I agree with llkltk. I'd pick CCR for location unless you work at Dell. That is a horrible commute from CCR. In CCR you still feel part of Austin because it's such a quick trip downtown. I really don't think that Steiner schools are better than CCR either. They seemed the same to me but that was just perception and loosely based on test scores at the time. Enjoy your time in Austin OP...we just did the reverse move to Seattle not quite 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin