U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,836,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhardt View Post
You do not understand diverse. And yes, I seen St. Louis reputation, they have a equal number of whites and blacks. Please, do not make me change thought about Austin, because I already bought a bus ticket with a help from someone. My decision to leave Austin is final. Plus, how diverse when most whites in the south come from the German and Irish. I studied U.S. History in ACC, so I would know there isn't much to whites but German and Irish. As for hispanics, Aztecs. Mexico = Aztecs. Please, enroll in U.S History and they will explain about those parts of the states. And my instructors name is Jack Bucco. I got to go, but I never seen any diversity here at all, I am shocked at the changes in Arizona, but I wasn't going to be there that long, i.e St.Louis, Miami, San Diego (the three places I will settle after school before Canada).
Wow, after reading that post, and the (200 subsequent "I've made up my mind--don't try to change it" posts) I came to 2 conclusions, neither of which you really care about, obviously. Please, for the love of all things holy, go back to Phoenix.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 AM

957 posts, read 2,415,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhardt View Post
I agree with mlasoff on his views why to move out of Austin. I on the other hand feel that his points are true.

I have similar to different reasons why I want to move out.

1. I do not feel comfortable with strangers here in Austin. I feel better with only a small group I know in Phoenix. And get that not everyone in Phoenix knows me. I only know 10-12 people I grew up with.

2. No one wants to hire, yet I have a resume printed out and ready to be read. But the jobs that will hire on are dead end ones like hamburger fast food joints and I am tired of trying to make minimum wage while in college. I want to make enough for myself to live on my own apartment. Just like mlasoff said in his last thread, "I think the abundance of educated people is taken advatange of by employers who pay, mostly, substandard wages." I am a educated person, but it's like the UT students or people who grew up in Austin knew most of these people that are willing to hire them on. I do not have history with people in Austin, so my chances are slim.

3. There is not any good music to my liking. I am into 80's and 90's rock, I am into old classical late 70's stuff too. From 1976-1984, 1985-1992, and 1993-2001. That's the style of music I like.

4. I miss diners as well. There are plenty in Arizona.

5. Like mlasoff said, there is no diversity in Austin. You have to be a certain religion or a certain standing (conservative or liberal). People in Austin feel that I am missing something because I am not a conservative or a liberal or in a religion which really bothers me a bit. Plus I read that in Austin there are 10.0% blacks here. I am mixed filipino and black and I feel like I am missing something being here in Austin.

6. The politeness is superficial. I agree with mlasoff on this. No one is not that nice. They hide this behind a smile that is fake and not pleasing. Why do they keep smiling at you when you realize that you know they do not mean it. I am the same as mlasoff, I am not a friendly guy when it boils down to stuff such as, "I need money for some hash, can you loan me some, good brother?" Some of the people I notice will say, "You are cool." but in the end something goes bad. I am feeling that most of how the friendly level is in Austin is very superficial. I met some *******s in Minnesota and they tell me they didn't like this part about Austin at all.

7. I do not like humidity with heat.

8. I am really homesick. I do not like some of the blacks here in Austin because they act very false and shady. Like I said earlier, Austin's politeness = superficial.

9. In Phoenix, I can easily catch Greyhound to San Diego, California and spend time on the beach and have fun. I love going to the beach. And Arizona also has snow in some parts. Austin doesn't have snow worth jack ****.

10. The "city" claims it's big. It's too small. It takes 15-18 minutes to drive from Braker Ln to Downtown Austin.

I feel I was missing a lot of things being in Austin. I wish I didn't come back here in 2006. I remembered me and my sister got here in 1993 just to live with our uncle, but realizing he is a misrable ****. I graduated high school here and left in 2002 to Miami and stayed here from 2002-2004. I was treated well there. I just wish that I wouldn't of made the big mistake of coming back to Austin ever again. I had my run here and it wasn't worth it to me.

Please do not comment in flaming remarks, just encourage me on my process moving out. And if I offend anyone in some of these reasons, then i am sorry. But, feel free to explain your side of the story.
Sounds like you're just homesick (as you've actually said) and there's nothing wrong with that. Austin isn't for everyone. I've been to Phoenix myself, and while I've never lived there I found nothing appealing about it at all and think Austin is way better. But like I said, it's not for everyone. While Austin isn't perfect, I moved here from SA and love it and can't imagine leaving anytime soon. Hope you find your happy place...and yes that was sincere...from a native Texan.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 AM

32 posts, read 100,835 times
Default Diversity Dissappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Phoenix is 6% black. Less than Austin.
Nationally, the US is only 13% black, so Austin isn't that different. Most of the black population in the US is in large Northern cities or in the rural Deep South. Austin is neither of these, yet it's still very close to the national average for blacks. So if how black the city is is a major concern to you, and you're leaving Austin for Phoenix, prepare to be shocked, even if it is your hometown.

Just because there isn't a huge black population does not mean that the town isn't diverse. You also have to remember that the whites and hispanics are coming from very, very different backgrounds and this also provides diversity.

I'm actually reseraching and visiting different citties to get a feel for a place I'd like to relocate to after I get out of the military. This is the first timeI started researching Austin. It seems to be a very up and coming city also fast-griwing, but for such a nice advanced city it does lack diversity. The small African-American population is a little worrisom too me. The population there is mainly white and hispanic, that's not bad, but not for everybody. I'm used too seeing places a little more diverse. I'm comparing Charlotte, Ralighe-Durham, Austin TX and Macon GA. Right now it's looking like North Carolina. The low African American population does make me shy away from Austin, however I'll reserve full judgement until I visit next summer because u never know until you get there.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:58 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 1,837,843 times
Goodbye Leonhardt-
Have a safe trip.
I hope you find what you are looking for wherever you decide to go, but there are problems everywhere....You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution...you decide.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 AM

25,170 posts, read 34,064,195 times
That is impossible in Austin. There is too much counter resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Goodbye Leonhardt-
Have a safe trip.
I hope you find what you are looking for wherever you decide to go, but there are problems everywhere....You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution...you decide.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:42 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 1,837,843 times
Good point artsyguy...

Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 25,036 times
Yes, by all means "leave Austin" it's a dead city, has nothing to offer and the people are "plastic" I was born in San Antonio, though I move to a more advance city style work and living environment, but boy was I wrong. Austin is full of people who have nothing better to do then to sit on their arse and past the time away drinking and blowing air out their arse. Austin prides itself in it's sports and beer, just look at the congress man who you will find spending your tax dollars drinking it up, overweight pompus blowhards that prey on people by taxing everything you touch. The jobs there are a joke, your right , the big employers are Taco Cabana, Jack In the Box and WhatABurger, sorry forgot H.E.B. and Walmart.
The education you get here is only good for 90days once you leave school and the employers are dishonest. Needles to say I moved back to S.A. have a good job and don't regret it.
Good Luck in your new venture
One Honest Texan

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,705,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarty View Post
Yes, by all means "leave Austin" it's a dead city, has nothing to offer and the people are "plastic" I was born in San Antonio, though I move to a more advance city style work and living environment, but boy was I wrong. Austin is full of people who have nothing better to do then to sit on their arse and past the time away drinking and blowing air out their arse. Austin prides itself in it's sports and beer, just look at the congress man who you will find spending your tax dollars drinking it up, overweight pompus blowhards that prey on people by taxing everything you touch. The jobs there are a joke, your right , the big employers are Taco Cabana, Jack In the Box and WhatABurger, sorry forgot H.E.B. and Walmart.
The education you get here is only good for 90days once you leave school and the employers are dishonest. Needles to say I moved back to S.A. have a good job and don't regret it.
One Honest Texan
Wow. Just wow.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

993 posts, read 1,559,190 times
Quote:
Austin is full of people who have nothing better to do then to sit on their arse and past the time away drinking and blowing air out their arse.
Damn right!

We pride ourselves on being overly-educated with nine years of college; and our beer drinking, migas eating, bar singing, talking phliosophical on the bus "slacker" way of life...

Austin - Slacker Capital of the world?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,721,584 times
Quote:
Yes, by all means "leave Austin" it's a dead city, has nothing to offer and the people are "plastic" I was born in San Antonio, though I move to a more advance city style work and living environment, but boy was I wrong. Austin is full of people who have nothing better to do then to sit on their arse and past the time away drinking and blowing air out their arse. Austin prides itself in it's sports and beer, just look at the congress man who you will find spending your tax dollars drinking it up, overweight pompus blowhards that prey on people by taxing everything you touch.
You do realize that the vast majority of the legislature ("congress man") don't come from or live in Austin, right? Those guys come from the rest of Texas. In fact, the legislature is traditionally at odds with the City of Austin... one of the reasons I agree with your less than stellar assessment of them.

Quote:
Needles to say I moved back to S.A. have a good job and don't regret it.
One Honest Texan
Glad to hear you returned to SA, it's better than staying in Austin if it makes you miserable and we certainly don't need the extra people. On the other hand, you don't sound particularly happy right now! Perhaps you should venture outside the state for your next move.

EDIT: Actually Marty, I saw on your reply today on this other thread that you still seem to be living in Austin:
Quote:
Honest Texan living in Austin
So I'm confused, which city do you live in now?

Last edited by atxcio; 05-25-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin