Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Umm, are you certain the Google Images ones that you didn't take are in the public domain? (Most photos found using Google Images are copyrighted and NOT in the public domain.)

Nice photos on your pBase gallery! Where's the flag-painted horse?
Thanks, the flag painted horse is out front of the Rustic Star, a rustic furniture and decorating store near Spicewood, 22214 State Highway 71.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Yes, Margaritas or sweet tea, depending on the situation.
YEP! Sweet Tea can clinch a thirst better than just about anything. Or a good cold Dublin Dr Pepper. Margarita's.................. mmmmm.

Margarita on the Rocks
1. Must have good Tequila (not the cheap stuff.... it really does make a difference. I prefer Cabo Wabo ).
About a large shot glass full of Tequila
2. Margarita Mix - just a little and something good. None of that too sour stuff or it just ruins the good tequila. About a regular shot glass full
3. Triple Sec. About a large shot glass full.
Pour in shaker over ice and shake.
Rim glass w/ a lime and then salt.
Pour drink and add a squeeze of lime

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Another Uzi shooter. Great!

I still love my Uzi. It is the only camera I kept when I went the upgrade route. I now term it the "small" camera compared to my Canon 20D with a 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

Steve's and DPReview were the source of all my information when I went camera hunting.
The UZI is a fantastic camera, too bad they quit making it. I really baby mine now knowing that it will be hard to replace. It is compact compared to your camera. But won't fit in my pocket.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Limoncellos and Vinho Verde are amazing margarita alternatives...

Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
YEP! Sweet Tea can clinch a thirst better than just about anything. Or a good cold Dublin Dr Pepper. Margarita's.................. mmmmm.

Margarita on the Rocks
1. Must have good Tequila (not the cheap stuff.... it really does make a difference. I prefer Cabo Wabo ).
About a large shot glass full of Tequila
2. Margarita Mix - just a little and something good. None of that too sour stuff or it just ruins the good tequila. About a regular shot glass full
3. Triple Sec. About a large shot glass full.
Pour in shaker over ice and shake.
Rim glass w/ a lime and then salt.
Pour drink and add a squeeze of lime
I'm afraid I'm a Margarita purist - I prefer the original recipe.

3 parts Tequila (Patron Silver by choice)
1 part Cointreau (not as sweet as Triple Sec so you get the Tequila flavor better)
1 part fresh-squeezed lime juice
Rocks, salt (using the leftover lime to wet the glass rim)

If there's enough time, mix it up, put it in the freezer for ten minutes, then pour over ice in a glass with a salted rim.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 AM

198 posts, read 500,653 times
Margaritas, sigh, I've been waiting for a good frozen margarita for a long time.

What is Dublin Dr. Pepper?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
Alcohol? Barf.

But yeah...a trick I learned from doing manual labor in the 109 degree heat is to take off your t-shirt and completely soak it in ice water before you go out. This will afford you about 30-45 minutes of nice, cold 'air-conditioning' right next to your skin before the sun dries it out.

Mainly good on those dry / hot days not those summer days when it rains like mad all night...then the next day is 105.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Alcohol? Barf.

But yeah...a trick I learned from doing manual labor in the 109 degree heat is to take off your t-shirt and completely soak it in ice water before you go out. This will afford you about 30-45 minutes of nice, cold 'air-conditioning' right next to your skin before the sun dries it out.

Mainly good on those dry / hot days not those summer days when it rains like mad all night...then the next day is 105.
Yeah that worked good when I worked as a land surveyor in Arizona, where the water evaporated. It doesn't work so well here.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjay View Post
Margaritas, sigh, I've been waiting for a good frozen margarita for a long time.

What is Dublin Dr. Pepper?
Dr Pepper using the original cane sugar, not corn syrup, made only at the original Dr Pepper plant in Dublin, Texas. Used to only be available for purchase there but now you can get it various places, but on a very limited distribution.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
I'm afraid I'm a Margarita purist - I prefer the original recipe.

3 parts Tequila (Patron Silver by choice)
1 part Cointreau (not as sweet as Triple Sec so you get the Tequila flavor better)
1 part fresh-squeezed lime juice
Rocks, salt (using the leftover lime to wet the glass rim)

If there's enough time, mix it up, put it in the freezer for ten minutes, then pour over ice in a glass with a salted rim.
I like that one too

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Alcohol? Barf.

Not a good thing to be drinking alcohol while outside sweating and working. Other things are much better then. By the pool though...

Also take a white hand towel and put it in cold water and then on top of your head or around the back of your neck. We would do this for the kids during soccer games on a REALLY REALLY REALLY hot game. Also do it if doing hard yard work in the super hot heat. Keep a cooler or jug of ice water and you can cool the towel down as often as needed.

Word of warning though.......... if your outside in the extreme heat and you STOP sweating.............. get emergency attention ASAP!!! Or at least start to cool down yourself SLOWLY!!! If your by yourself CALL SOMEONE ASAP but let someone know your overheating just in case you pass out. Get the wet cold towel on your head AND neck, wipe down your face, start drinking ice water or gatorade SLOWLY in small sips but get it down. If you don't have that the next best thing and really almost better than water or gatorade is pickle juice. Pickle juice is used often and there is even a company here that bottles it and sells it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin