Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
The only reason it is noisy is because of the hardwood floors, I wouldn't call that inconsiderate behavior. It's just an unfortunate thing and you can't force someone to change their floors, not going to happen.
the way a person walks may be a factor. Some people just have the bad habit of moving around in a stomping fashion. A carpeted floor would not have made the noise less tolerable.

He is supposed to take reasonable measures to minimize the noise after he is informed of the problem.

At least he is not wearing high heels while walking around in his apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
I've had some of these issues in the various apartments I've leased. The last one was the worst. The lady upstairs was a single mom and had two kids. I could hear all three of them walking, banging on the floor, the kids running up and down the hallways, you name it, I heard it. And the mom walked really loud for some reason, louder than anyone I had ever heard before. And the noise never stopped, I guess they never left their apartment. It was absolutely awful! I complained to her several times and got no response. I then complained to the building manager several times, again with no response. I finally just gave up and moved a few months later and vowed to never have anyone above my head again. If I ever lease/buy another apartment or condo, it would have to be on the top floor. Since top floor units in highrises are usually penthouses, any condo I ever lease/buy would have to be a low-rise unit on the top floor. The low rise top floor would probably be more expensive, but it would be worth it.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
But if it is a property you own, you are entitled to renovate it as you see fit. No one can tell someone what type of flooring to have, there are no restrictions on that. It stinks, I've dealt with such issues but you can't force someone to put in carpet, it won't happen. It's just a fact, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers! Geesh!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
But if it is a property you own, you are entitled to renovate it as you see fit. No one can tell someone what type of flooring to have, there are no restrictions on that. It stinks, I've dealt with such issues but you can't force someone to put in carpet, it won't happen. It's just a fact, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers! Geesh!
That is not true, lawsuits in other areas have resulted in judgements against the condo owner for making changes that negatively effected the quality of life of the other occupants.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
No one can tell someone what type of flooring to have
True, but they can tell you to stop making noise, and if it's the flooring causing the noise, then you can't have that type of noisy flooring.

Steve

Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,166 times
This might be a solution: FloorMuffler High Performance Acoustical Underlayment and Moisture Barrier All you have to do now is convince your neighbor to rip out his floor and do it again

Old 05-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
If I were you I would have one more talk with the upstairs neighbor. I would explain how disrupting and noisy his HW floors are. I would offer to PAY to have the floors replaced with a floor muffler system as stated in the above post. If he refuses, tell him politely that you will take it to a lawyer and the court system, then if he loses, he will be responsible financially for replacing the floor himself. While it is a PIA for him to have his floors ripped up, in the long run, he will be saving $$ by not having to replace them at his cost if he loses in court.

I think the courts would see in your favor!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
I would offer to PAY to have the floors replaced with a floor muffler system as stated in the above post.
Why would you pay to cure someone else's noise problem?

Send a demand letter, give a deadline and state the consequences of not ceasing with the noise. If the noise doesn't stop, take legal against not only the owner, but the HOA.

In these sort of things in life, you don't get what you want by being nice, patient and timid. Don't be a doormat. You don't have to be a jerk about it either, but you simply let it be known that the noise is not reasonable, you won't tolerate it, and you won't quit until it stops or a judge tells you that you have to live with it.

Steve

Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Why would you pay to cure someone else's noise problem?
The reason I said that is because in the OP, he/she already offered to pay via a letter! Personally, I would have never offered to pay to fix the noise problem. I would ask them to repair/solve the problem. Then I would consult a lawyer if no action was taken.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
First, review your governing documents. They may contain language that will not allow "modifications" without HOA permission. On the other hand, they may only require HOA permission for structual changes. Each HOA is different - you will have to investigate.

From a more practical standpoint - I have to agree with the other posts - insulate / sound proof the ceiling. In the end it's the proactive thing to do. Again, do your research on the matter.

Still, raise the concern to the Board of Directors. If your governing documents don't forbid hard wood floors and there is not solid language prohibiting removing carpet and pading - there may be nothing they can do. But it's worth their time to be made aware. If you end up insulating your ceiling, share your experiance with the board and other homeowners. Reducing noise in your home is always a good thing and others may find your info. helpful.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: