Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Oh, boy here we go...

"White"...seems it's on my birth certificate. I'm of Spanish and Mexican descent, and by historical and treatise falls into the category yet again. So, I think you may want to CHANGE your definition to say Northern Europeans.

And Austin was not founded by them. Austin was founded by Mexican citizens, one specifically who had European descent and background, but as part of his land grant and business, as well as ALL of those who were granted land swore oaths and became Mexican citizens. So, Austin was founded by Mexican citizens w/ European backgrounds.

Now, culture wise, as others have mentioned there is French, Spanish, German, Dutch, British and Native American influence in Austin and the surrounding areas.
I'm with you. If we're going with the definition of White is the opposite of Black, lots of people fall into that category, not just English.

Northern Europeans, Anglo Saxon, OK.

Austin was founded by all the people you note above....AND Africans. Don't forget them!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,879,730 times
Uhhh... what the Hell? A little Austin primer:

The first documented permanent settlement of current-day Austin occurred in 1835. Anglo American settlers began arriving in the area, when Texas was still part of Mexico. They founded the village of Waterloo in 1837, along the banks of the Colorado River.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Austin,_Texas

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I've never seen a Rebel (confederate) flag in Austin, and I can't remember ever seeing one anywhere else in Texas either.
The post is about Texas, not just Austin. But if you want to look at the Austin area, then look no further than Hays High School, that only recently stopped using the Confederate Flag as it's school symbol. THey still sing Dixie at football games though and the Confederate Flag is still on some uniforms.

Other Texas Schools:
S. Garland High School - Stopped using the Confederate Flag as it's school symbol in the early 1990's. But the flag is still featured on the sign outside of the school.The Garland Independent School Board voted 6 to 1 at its August 1, 1991, meeting, discontinue use of the altered Confederate flag as the school flag and to also change the color of the mascot's uniform from gray to blue and red. The sign outside South Garland High School was not changed to reflect the changes in the school flag and mascot.

Richland High School - N. Richland, TX - used the confederate battle flag as its school flag until 1998, when it was replaced due to the controversy surrounding the symbol. The school also phased out the use of Dixie as an informal fight song at that time. The school's official fight song was and remained "Rebel Charge March," which is also a Civil War era melody but is less known and less controversial. However, Richland High School continues to use Confederate symbols such as the "Rebel" mascot, "Dixie Belles" moniker for its drill team, and "Johnny Rebs" for its pep squad.

This is just the first that came up on a quick Google search; I'm sure there are more. And you will ALWAYS have the occaissional individual everywhere who puts a Confederate Flag on his truck or car, but these are PUBLIC SCHOOLS, which are STATE SUPPORTED institutions.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Um....Spaniards ARE 'whites'.
Not really.

Some Spaniards are whites, but most Spaniards are mixed. There have been hundreds of years of mixed marriages in Spain between whites and blacks or between whites and American indians, due to Spain's close proximity to Africa and colonial relationships with South America.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
Not really.

Some Spaniards are whites, but most Spaniards are mixed. There have been hundreds of years of mixed marriages in Spain between whites and blacks, due to Spain's close proximity to and relationship with Africa and South America.
Then they're mixed to the extent that we all are. Out of Africa, anyone?
Massive Genetic Study Supports "Out of Africa" Theory

Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM

188 posts, read 518,809 times
All whites are caucasians, but not all caucasians are 'white'. Like other races, white people can come in different colors. Spaniards along with Portuguese, Greeks, Italians, and other Mediterranean/Southern Europeans are often (but not always) depicted of having a tan, olive, or bronze skin complexion in opposed to those of Danish, Irish, Norwegian, etc. decent.

People from Iraq are actually caucasian, which technically makes them 'white'. However, I hardly see any 'white' people associating themselves with Iraqis.

Back on topic, Austin is definitely not a Western city. It is though a blend of Southern and Southwestern, which makes it uniquely Texan.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Its South By Southwest.
I agree, isnt that where they got the name.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The post is about Texas, not just Austin. But if you want to look at the Austin area, then look no further than Hays High School, that only recently stopped using the Confederate Flag as it's school symbol. THey still sing Dixie at football games though and the Confederate Flag is still on some uniforms.

Other Texas Schools:
S. Garland High School - Stopped using the Confederate Flag as it's school symbol in the early 1990's. But the flag is still featured on the sign outside of the school.The Garland Independent School Board voted 6 to 1 at its August 1, 1991, meeting, discontinue use of the altered Confederate flag as the school flag and to also change the color of the mascot's uniform from gray to blue and red. The sign outside South Garland High School was not changed to reflect the changes in the school flag and mascot.

Richland High School - N. Richland, TX - used the confederate battle flag as its school flag until 1998, when it was replaced due to the controversy surrounding the symbol. The school also phased out the use of Dixie as an informal fight song at that time. The school's official fight song was and remained "Rebel Charge March," which is also a Civil War era melody but is less known and less controversial. However, Richland High School continues to use Confederate symbols such as the "Rebel" mascot, "Dixie Belles" moniker for its drill team, and "Johnny Rebs" for its pep squad.

This is just the first that came up on a quick Google search; I'm sure there are more. And you will ALWAYS have the occaissional individual everywhere who puts a Confederate Flag on his truck or car, but these are PUBLIC SCHOOLS, which are STATE SUPPORTED institutions.
Those are only a few schools, and they DONT reflect the character or culture of Austin or Texas.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM

There's nothing really SOUTHERN about Austin. The only southern thing about Austin, others have mentioned is manners, taking of you hat, but.....that's about it. Growing up in Austin it really didn feel southern. Like someone said earlier, even the MAJOR rivers in TX tend to have spanish names instead of anglo ones, INCLUDING the colorado river(colorado is spanish for red or color red or ruby). And if you do research you can see, that some of the fauna, and plant life consist of desert-like plants, like cactus. Some plants that you find in Austin will NOT be found ANYWHERE in the traditional south, or anywhere east of Elgin. There is TOO much Spanish, Mexican, Western, and Southwestern influence in Austin for it or Tx to be considered southern in my book. If it's not southwestern then it's just Texan if anything. Too many different influences. When I think of the south I think of tall pine trees, swamps, piedmont, sweettea, coniferous forest, all of which Austin has NONE of. Austin is sort of the dividing line between the south and the southwest, hence the name South by Southwest, I think? But Austin is just Austin, besides football, BBQ, and manners, there is not MUCH else tha would qualify it as SOUTHERN.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,749,381 times
Quote:
Austin is definitely not a Western city
Why specificly do you say this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin