Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,980,842 times

Advertisements

hell yeah they bloom. We have them out back, they take direct sunlight even! No wilting, they are either native or adaptive, so the climate and precip won't be a problem. You cut them back each year, and by May they will be almost 3 feet tall.

Description: They look like Bluebonnets, but light purple colored and on steroids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 PM

313 posts, read 782,925 times
a week straight of 100+ degrees will kill a lot of things. Gardening here is extremely difficult due to the heat and bad soil in some areas, you almost have to research. A quick seach says that most Lilacs will only live up to zone 7, though I've seen some that say zone 8. I'd go with the previous suggestion of the Texas Mountain Laurel. Its got the purple bloom and smells like grape. Not real grapes, more like grape bubblegum, and I mean that in a good way. Its got to be most amazing smelling plant I've every come across. Its also native, so it doesn't require watering after its established.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 PM

5,843 posts, read 11,832,516 times
I grew up in Virginia and we had a lilac bush in our yard. I didn't think they grew in Central Texas because of the alkalinity of our soil. We do have Wisteria and Texas Mountain Laurel which are similar. Now I'm really curious if you can actually grow lilacs here. I absoutely loved the smell of that lilac bush! But, I have to admit - some things just aren't meant to grow here and I'm inclined not to try. Like paul68355 said - the heat is the killer and I'd rather go with a native plant that can adapt. We planted some Mountain Laurels last year.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 PM

134 posts, read 489,432 times
I love lilacs too, but I would also suggest that you stick with the Texas Mountain Laurel. It looks very similar and is sooooo gorgeous when it is in bloom. The only drawback I have seen with them is that they are very slow growers and therefore very expensive to by decent sized ones.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:32 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
The lilacs that many northerners are attached to is not what grows in Texas, as noted by others. The northern kind need freezing in the winter, and cool, moist springs. They can be grown in some slightly warmer climates if they are shaded by other trees. And they like acid soil. I know its hard to do without them. I grew up with billows of lilacs at my grandmother's house in Wisconsin. But there is more success in growing natives or near-native (adaptives), and true lilacs are not one of these, I fear.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,814,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I am thinking that what we are calling lilacs are not what you are calling lilacs!!

Texas mountain laurel trees have heavy lilac-like blooms and perfume. I just saw a piece in the NYT about lilacs and it said that they like the cold! I have never seen trees like the ones pictured in Austin.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/ga...r=1&ref=garden

I could be wrong but I would bet money that we have a much different varietal here than what you are used to up north.
Tx mountain laurel's have oval leaves with hanging clusters of flowers that smell like grape bubblegum. http://www.plantanswers.com/Poisonou...el%20Bloom.jpg

Many Lilac's are similar in color but have pointed leaves and grow in upright spiky clusters and have a distinctive lilac scent. File:Aa lilac 00.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
a week straight of 100+ degrees will kill a lot of things. Gardening here is extremely difficult due to the heat and bad soil in some areas, you almost have to research.
It doesn't have to be difficult. If you research your zone, visit nurseries that stock local plants (Natural Gardener, Shoal Creek, Barton Hills) then you'll be fine. Here's an 8b lilac for you, courtesy of Lowes. Miss Kim Lilac

Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 PM

24 posts, read 85,791 times
Default Lilacs

lilacs need a hard freeze and I believe they like acidic soil...hence they grow well up north and not well here if at all. Mountain laurels are the best substitute.

Last edited by greenfrog; 05-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: wrong wording

Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,511,725 times
I gardened extensively in SW Austin and did a lot of garden tours. I never saw a lilac bush my whole 12 years in TX. Growing up in Iowa the entire back of our yard was lined in lilac bushes that were 10 feet tall. I now have them in WA as well as hydrangea and they grow great here so I would be shocked if someone could grow them in Austin without a whole lot of help and water. TX Mtn Laurels are stupendous though and the fragrance amazing and you can grow them though they are slow growing. I think the best attitude you can have is to embrace what is native to the area. If you are coming from somewhere completely different you will have fun discovering a new look. I did find it hard to get an English cutting garden look in TX though it probably has been done by someone.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 AM

313 posts, read 782,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It doesn't have to be difficult. If you research your zone, visit nurseries that stock local plants (Natural Gardener, Shoal Creek, Barton Hills) then you'll be fine. Here's an 8b lilac for you, courtesy of Lowes. Miss Kim Lilac
this is really my point, it takes some research. agreed, definitely go local with the plants: Austin may someday see a water shortage (or worse than we already are), local plants or drought tolerants ones don't need watered once established.

as far as difficult... I garden with a pick-axe. I've bent *both* the flat and pointy sides of it in only 1 year. Its difficult here, especially SW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin