Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 11:38 AM

575 posts, read 2,495,965 times

Advertisements

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/statesmanhomes/04/08/8spotlight.html (broken link)

http://www.statesman.com/ap/mediahub....jsp?tId=13392

Ok, Ok, I know, this is not what most people are looking for, but I think it is nice, but not my family's style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't have it. I just don't like such big houses. Bigger is not necessarily better. I would feel guilty about all the electricity it would take to keep the place running.

My perfect house would be around 2,000 sf with an open floor plan and located in a great Central Austin neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Seven Oaks is a beautiful neighborhood, but not many trees left in the yards. It's my pet peeve, if I haven't mentioned it 9,000 times already.

Personally, I think that house is gorgeous. I don't need 6000 sf, would never want to clean it or heat/cool it...but the interior finishes are spectacular. I love what they've done with the wood treatments. Although I find it interesting that they put top of the line finishes in and then put a Pottery Barn chandelier in the kitchen. Now, i happen to shop a ton at Pottery Barn, but I wouldn't expect a $1.8M house to have Pottery Barn fixtures

Do you think they'd take a lowball offer of $500K?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
If we would have built a home on the lot we had reserved before finding the finished house we did it would have been about that size and 1 story (probably more like a 1 1/2 story). You can build a house that size that does not feel like a giant waste and give it a cozy homey feel. They could also do some great enhancements that make it VERY energy efficient and would not suck up in that area. Only a 3 car garage??? Sorry, that size of house needs a 4 car garage min. as a lot of people in that price range also have "fun" cars that need to be protected. When 3 car garages are the norm for just about any house over $300K you would expect more for over $1M. The woodwork is GREAT but the wall colors are lackluster. They really could have done a much better job of showing off the other finish work w/ better paint colors. Why go thru the trouble of having such detailed woodwork to use paint colors that are found in tract homes? Concrete pavers for the flooring that resemble travertine? No. REAL travertine in that price range. I'm w/ gigi on the light fixture chosen in the kitchen. There are some better choices out there that would have been better suited.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 271,591 times
Beautiful... I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
I don't like it either. I like cozy and homey houses and something that large just doesn't have a good feel to me. Therefore, it's probably good I don't like it because I can't afford it either.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't have it. I just don't like such big houses. Bigger is not necessarily better. I would feel guilty about all the electricity it would take to keep the place running.

My perfect house would be around 2,000 sf with an open floor plan and located in a great Central Austin neighborhood.
Bigger is not necessarily better?! Says who? You must not have children. Either that or they're grown. I think that home is beautiful, but what's wrong with the area around it? Where are the trees?

Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Yeah, they did clear way too many trees. ARGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin