Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,434 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I both currently live in Bend, Ore. and after we get married this summer we are considering moving and making a start in Round Rock. Bend is a tourist based area and has fallen hard due the economy and is falling apart.
I am a licensed massage therapist that focuses on medical massage and my fiance is a Dental lab technician. We are hoping to find out what the job market is like, how the overall structure of the region is in regards to handling a downfall such as what we are seeing here in oregon. Are there any tips regarding what to do or pursue as starters in this area?

Last edited by houstoner; 05-17-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Thread moved from Texas forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:37 PM

12 posts, read 46,336 times
Round Rock is a very nice place in my opinion. I lived in Central Texas for six years. North of Round Rock is Georgetown, a fair size city with hospital, a university, and medical facilities of all sorts. South is the Capital city of Austin. Several hospitals, a major university, many medical facilities. In between Round Rock and Austin is a few more small towns (cities if you will) and great oportunties lie there. The distant from Round Rock to Austin is about 25 or so miles, all interstate 35 which makes travel fairly fast. All the cities lie on I-35. There is enough industry and medicial fields, plus other major job markets which will allow a person plenty of opportunity to to employed fairly consistant.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
There are several medical facilities, some new, in Round Rock (north between Round Rock and Georgetown), and it's just a short drive to Austin. I'd think in your fields you'd not have a great deal of difficulty with employment.

What are your other interests?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Round Rock is not 25 miles from Austin. It's directly north of Austin. Part of Austin goes to Round Rock schools. They connect. Though, if you're talking downtown, you're still not talking 25 miles, but maybe 10-15 minutes. I don't pay attention to miles as it's the minutes that count.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 AM

Right, downtown Georgetown (8th and Austin Avenue) is 28-1/2 miles (per Mapquest) from Cesar Chavez & Congress (though I persist in calling it 1st and Congress). It's 19 miles from 620 and IH35 to Cesar Chavez & Congress. Those are both via IH35 - there are many other ways to get there, and there are places, as FalconheadWest said, where you can only tell whether you're in Round Rock or Austin with a map.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There are several medical facilities, some new, in Round Rock (north between Round Rock and Georgetown), and it's just a short drive to Austin. I'd think in your fields you'd not have a great deal of difficulty with employment.

What are your other interests?
We enjoy bass fishing, hiking and other associated activities. We have several dogs and we try to get out often. Neither of us have family there, but we have been looking pretty seriously at the area and trying to get a good idea of what we are looking at because you can only find so much online. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Okay, not too far from Round Rock is Lake Granger and even closer is Lake Georgetown, both of which have bass according to Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Goodwater Trail is in Georgetown, as are several hike and bike trails. There's, of course, lots of places to go hiking in Central Texas. Just throw a rock and you'll find a hiking and/or biking trail. Round Rock has a trails plan, as well.

Round Rock has a dog park as does Georgetown, and Austin has several.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Round Rock is a nice town. It's a relatively conservative city situated about 20 miles north (45-60 rush hour minutes) north of Downtown Austin. If Bend is as liberal as Portland, then you will be in for a culture shock. Round Rock would be the equivalent of say, Beaverton or any of the western suburbs of Portland.

btw, everyone in Austin knows that you can't drive 20 miles in this town in 10 minutes, unless it's 3am on a Tuesday and you're driving 120mph - do your math.

3 minutes for ever mile in rush hour traffic is the norm.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Round Rock is a nice town. It's a relatively conservative city situated about 20 miles north (45-60 rush hour minutes) north of Downtown Austin. If Bend is as liberal as Portland, then you will be in for a culture shock. Round Rock would be the equivalent of say, Beaverton or any of the western suburbs of Portland.

btw, everyone in Austin knows that you can't drive 20 miles in this town in 10 minutes, unless it's 3am on a Tuesday and you're driving 120mph - do your math.

3 minutes for ever mile in rush hour traffic is the norm.
I beg to differ with you. I can get from our front door (15 miles north of Georgetown) to our house in South Austin (Ben White/South Lamar area) in an hour during the middle of the afternoon - I've timed it because of just such discussions on this forum. That's on main roads with everyone else.

There are many ways to get downtown from Round Rock besides IH35. You just have to get off the thoroughly beaten path a bit - but not all that much, the alternate routes were main routes before the "newest and greatest" roads were built and everyone decided that's the only way to get somewhere.

But, yes, it would take about 20 minutes to go 20 miles at about 60 mph. That part's right, anyway.

As for culture shock, yes, Austin and environs is not raving liberal, it's more live and let live. If you're an extremist on either end of the spectrum, insisting that everyone else must believe the way you do, you're going to be in for a bit of an upset.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
For the OP - I kindly suggest Lake Travis is a vastly better lake all around than Lake Granger or Lake Georgetown.

The "South shore" (closer to Austin) of Lake Travis is growing steadily with a new Seton Hospital under construction now. Quality of life can be very high with lower taxes than in Austin city limits. Good schools too.

Lakeway is pretty but stuffy. Lots of other communities near Lake Travis.

Lake Travis doesn't produce big bass but it produces high quantity of largemouth and Guadalupe bass. It is a deep clear lake.

I suggest using Google Earth to get a good view of the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin