Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,204,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
That is a really interesting comment. A friend of mine was down here visiting from New England a few moths ago and she noted how many middle class blacks there were here. I thought it was interesting because on the whole Austin doesn't have much of a black population. I suppose she was alluding to the same thing you are and I didn't understand what she meant at the time.

Fairfax comments are a load of crap...what cubby hole were you hiding in DC? Thugs? You must be one of the typical NOVA residents who are so scared to turn off the beltway once they near PG County, which by the way is the 2nd wealthiest country for AA in the country. Every AA I met in DC had a college degree and was working a professional career. In fact I don't even think I met anybody without one.....Thug image is no diffeent than grunge, hipster, or any other fad lifestyle....Its just young people being young...stop the madness...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,377,361 times
What a great hobby. Reminds me of some UFO convention where you all sit around and compare sightings. Each guy trying so earnestly to do his part in presenting a reality that just doesn't exist. Each one a true believer. Except the guys selling tickets.
Sorry to have to break the bad news but racism in any meaningful way just doesn't exist.
We'll talk about global warming when your older.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,444,980 times
I'm in H-Town, and was just surfin here when I ran across this thread, so had to stop in. --we have little or no racism in Houston. We have all gotten along through thick or thin, for decades. My Neighborhood is a mix of all races, and we all get along just fine. we argue about sports, and Politics, and exchange fishing lies. and it is not that we are color blind, it is because we have learned to look into a persons soul to see who they are. Not the skin color, hair color, or whether they are fat or skinny. works for us. Hope You folks get with the program. We got bigger battles on the horizon, than fighting about something that none of us has any control over to start with. Nobody asked me where, or what color I wanted to be born--it just happened, and I'm cool with it. Peace out Neighbors, and pass me a beer.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 56,621 times
Default Austin racism?

Austin is not a very diverse city -- you can see that easily by looking at the demographic facts posted in wikipedia and other places. The lack of diversity in terms of minority ethnic groups means that you will (as a minority) feel like you are sticking out like a sore thumb in most social places such as restaurants, pubs, parties etc. The people in Austin are for the most part friendly and not overtly racist. Now when it comes to decision making by those in power, it is likely they will for example hire a UT grad who looks like them over a minority.

As many have noted before, Austin has a noticeable demographic demarcation where most whites live in the north-western part of the city while blacks are in East Austin. Other minorities can be found in both the northern and southern part of the city. Austin is not Chicago, NY or Baltimore (where a large population of muslims can be found in Woodlawn, Security Blvd and Tacoma/College Park areas). Most white people in Austin will not act with racist motive towards a black person or a person of moslem faith; however, they will likely be more guarded in their interraction with such persons. You can find great friends of all types of orientation anywhere.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,444,980 times
I got it, we should all change places for a month. That would get everybody on the same page. "Walk in my shoes kinda deal." I"m White Guy, but I often feel invisible, and over looked. It may just be my socks, or lack there of. Sometimes I wish I were a "minority" at least then I would have an excuse. Now, I just have to face the fact it's Me. Ever walk into a crowed room, and just get the feelin nobody likes you??---You are probably right.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:34 AM

145 posts, read 182,967 times
So I was in south Austin tonight with some buds of mine. South Austin is supposedly "bohemian" and diverse, yet I was the only person of color in the restaurant.

Austin can never dream of being truly diverse. This city is full of self proclaimed liberal whites.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:20 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,906,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
So I was in south Austin tonight with some buds of mine. South Austin is supposedly "bohemian" and diverse, yet I was the only person of color in the restaurant.

Austin can never dream of being truly diverse. This city is full of self proclaimed liberal whites.
So the fact that Austin has very few minorities makes it racist? So in that case, places like Seattle and Portland are as racist as well?

Look, I'm not completely denying your point or defending Austin since I've never visited that place, but just the fact that you might be the only minority in a certain place doesn't make it racist in itself. I've been in places where I was the only minority and people there were as amicable towards me (if not more) than they were towards the run-of-the-mill person of their race.

Now if you really want to see a place that has some real hypocritical "closet racist" liberals, check out the Northeastern cities like NYC, Boston, and DC.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM

5,848 posts, read 11,843,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post

Yeah, I don't get that either. We can't help the racial make up of the city any more than one person can't help what color skin he/she was born with. It doesn't make all of us who live here racist and I find it quite offensive.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times
Try checking out some places anywhere up and down the East side of 35.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 AM

145 posts, read 182,967 times
I'm not suggesting that Austin is inherently racist, but rather drawing a correlation between a lack of visible ethnic diversity and some of the complaints I have with the city, such as it's rampant race consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin