Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:46 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,443,240 times

Advertisements

to be realistic here. At about 14% of the General population, Blacks folks just can't be everywhere. there aren't enough of them. One of My Black Friends, Scott, told me that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times

Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 PM

145 posts, read 182,869 times
Look, I really don't understand this whole, "if you don't like it, then leave" mentality. Since when is bringing up valid criticisms of a place (in Austin's case, a distinct lack of racial and ethnic diversity), justified as a causation to leave?

Besides, even I wanted to leave I couldn't - I need to complete my undergraduate studies. Those kinds of comments, as far as I am concerned, are just cop outs instead of discussing the issue at hand.

I simply made a comment that despite Austin's pretenses as being this liberal, accepting, racially tolertant oasis in a historically conservative and backward state, it is still privy to the classism, racism, and social stratification that's prevalent in most Texas cities, and across the nation.

Lastly, (and I don't know why my thread on race consciousness was locked), I stand by my initial statements that the racial dynamics in Austin are much different than that of Dallas. There is simply a degree of obvious racial consciousness that I have never experienced.

I'll also add that if anyone doesn't like what I have to say, you're not obliged to read anything I write. But, I will continue to express my satisfactions and dissatisfactions of Austin.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,450,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
So I was in south Austin tonight with some buds of mine. South Austin is supposedly "bohemian" and diverse, yet I was the only person of color in the restaurant.
A single visit to a restaurant in one part of town is hardly what one would consider a fair litmus. I mean, by the same token, I could consider Austin not dog-friendly, because the girl at Sonic didn't offer my pup a Milk Bone while I was there the other day. Doesn't that seem like a ridiculously silly assessment?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM

145 posts, read 182,869 times
No, and if you read what I just wrote in the post above yours, and in previous posts of mine, you'd see the point I'm trying to express.

It's not just in one place, it's been my general experience in many places, on a regular basis, consistently.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,450,792 times
Quote:
No, and if you read what I just wrote in the post above yours, and in previous posts of mine, you'd see the point I'm trying to express.

It's not just in one place, it's been my general experience in many places, on a regular basis, consistently.
I'm sorry, but the only point I am getting from your many posts on the subject is that you are personally unhappy with the racial makeup of Austin and are frustrated because you are 'stuck' here in what you feel is a bland and undiverse city while you finish your studies. It is unfortunate that you feel that way, but on the bright side, you won't have to stay here forever. I'm sorry that you dislike Austin and hope you can find something positive to enjoy about it while you are here.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:49 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,443,240 times
Are people asking for a mandate, saying People should be treated a certain way, due to their race?---I wouldn't mind being treated a little better myself. where do I sign up??

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-22-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,796,393 times
Well I'm on your side. If you want to finish your degree that is fine. But just to warn you, the people who tell you "to leave" are the ones who don't want you there in the first place

Quote:
Look, I really don't understand this whole, "if you don't like it, then leave" mentality. Since when is bringing up valid criticisms of a place (in Austin's case, a distinct lack of racial and ethnic diversity), justified as a causation to leave?

Besides, even I wanted to leave I couldn't - I need to complete my undergraduate studies. Those kinds of comments, as far as I am concerned, are just cop outs instead of discussing the issue at hand.

I simply made a comment that despite Austin's pretenses as being this liberal, accepting, racially tolertant oasis in a historically conservative and backward state, it is still privy to the classism, racism, and social stratification that's prevalent in most Texas cities, and across the nation.

Lastly, (and I don't know why my thread on race consciousness was locked), I stand by my initial statements that the racial dynamics in Austin are much different than that of Dallas. There is simply a degree of obvious racial consciousness that I have never experienced.

I'll also add that if anyone doesn't like what I have to say, you're not obliged to read anything I write. But, I will continue to express my satisfactions and dissatisfactions of Austin.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,796,393 times
Black people are pretty well accepted and integrated in Dallas. That is for sure.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,547,314 times
Reminds me of when I took a multi-racial couple (who were friends of mine) to First Friday in San Antonio. There's this wild, swinging scene with people playing hand drums and circuit bending and really cheap, unique art by down-to-earth kids, lots and lots of people having fun and chatting and walking all over South Alamo Street and etc etc and the girl of the couple just stood there for a second, taking it all in, and said...'there's no bi-racial couples here'.

I had never even noticed.

I guess race doesn't play that big a part in my identity...or matter that much if I'm determined to have a good time.
In fact I find people that bring race into every single aspect of conversation to be dull and unimaginative.

I could and have hung out in all black crowds and I have to say, I enjoyed the diversity of experience that those situations presented to me.
...like I try to do with every experience.

Perhaps you can find something to enjoy in our lowly white and hispanic demographics as well.
Or...just stay where you know that you will always be around people the same color as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin