Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 PM

98 posts, read 294,798 times

Advertisements

I live in California and I am a die hard Round Table Pizza fan. The thought of no Round Table is seriously my own problem with Texas. We will be moving this summer and would love to know where we can get pizza.

We like the crust, sauce, and toppings of Round Table, so any recommendations would be appreciated. When we visited last we ate Austin Pizza and was not impressed. We did not like the crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,080,436 times
When I left Texas (and came to California), I thought I would die without Pizza Inn, but I got over it. Personally, I have no idea what pizza in Austin would taste like Round Table. But I would suggest that you just look for the best pizza places, have an open mind, and not try to replicate a California taste.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,560,767 times
I've been in the Austin area for a little over 3 years now. I grew up on Round Table Pizza, Stuft Pizza, Pizza Port, etc. I have made quite an effort to find that style of pizza here, but most people prefer New York style here. There just doesn't seem to be the demand for it. I have grown to like some of these places like Saccones, Southside Flying Pizza, and Rockin Tomato.

You can always still go to a chain like California Pizza Kitchen, BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse, or Red Brick Pizza. Those are closer matches to what you're use to at Round Table. Now, I actually eat a lot more Tex-Mex and a lot less pizza, so you might grow to enjoy what is more available here over time.

Edit: There is a Lamppost Pizza in Round Rock that is similar in style. Mangieri's in South Austin might work for you as well. Unless you have young kids, it's best not to ever step foot into Cici's Pizza. I'm not sure what that was, but it didn't taste like pizza. I think one of them had macaroni and cheese on it.

Last edited by mark311; 05-21-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM

48 posts, read 138,881 times
I moved to Austin from Portland & there is nothing like west coast pizza in Texas. Here it is all about the traditional pepperoni, sausage, bell pepper, onion, etc. The idea of "different" is BBQ pizza.... terrible.

I learned to make it myself on my Big Green Egg..... I get a whole wheat crust with all kinds of cheeses & veggies. Whenever I am trying to think of what to make, I goto a menu on a website of one of the restaurants in Portland & I make it

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,422,329 times
You can get NY style, Chicago style, NJ style. But if you want California style, you'll have to go to California Pizza Kitchen, boring I know but that's about all we have that resembles CA pizza. I used to live there, and it's just not here.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,283,211 times
All American pizza is cr@ppy. I love a good Milanese pizza. Thin and crispy, with the freshest ingredients you can find. Excellent FRESH cheeses, none of that horrible shredded stuff. I'm dreaming of a margherita pizza right now....

Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM

362 posts, read 1,042,171 times
Pizza in Austin is just downright bad.

<disclaimer> I can make these claims based on the fact that GQ has ranked the Detroit area #3 in the nation for best pizza. </disclaimer>

Tongue in cheek there, but I really have not found any Austin pizza that I've enjoyed and wanted to go back for.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM

98 posts, read 294,798 times
Thanks for the suggestions. It doesn't look very promising though. I really wish a Round Table would open in Austin, but don't see it happening. I just have to learn to like other pizza or just eat something else.

I'm off to Round Table for lunch right now.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,519,571 times
I don't know exactly what "California style" pizza is, but I used to live in New York, so I know what good East Coast pizza tastes like. Sadly, Austin is lacking when it comes to really good pizza, but there are a few gems.

The best place in Austin for authentic New York style pizza is Home Slice Pizza. I hear that East Side Pies is also good, but I've never been there. If you want decent Italian-style pizza, try Mandola's. If you like Chicago deep-dish style pizza, try Mangia.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,519,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
Pizza in Austin is just downright bad.

Tongue in cheek there, but I really have not found any Austin pizza that I've enjoyed and wanted to go back for.
I used to feel that way about Austin pizza, especially after living in Long Island for years. Home Slice Pizza is really the best place in town and the only place I'd recommend to someone from the East Coast. Have you been there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin