Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM

84 posts, read 312,706 times

Advertisements

I've done a little research on Bastrop and at first glance it looks like exactly the type of town we are looking for (even found my dream home on realtor.com)

Questions have arisen about the school district. The elementary schools appear quite good. What is going on in the middle and high schools that are giving them a bad rep? Is the community parent driven where they can make a difference in the schools?

I read somewhere that there was overcrowding but that new schools were being planned. How far off is that?

I realize the schools can only go so far - what are the opinions of the parents in the area? Helicopter parents? Active but not over bearing? Interested but are more concerned with other problems?

Are there any private secondary and high schools with in a 15-20 minute - commute? (non-religious if possible).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 PM

609 posts, read 2,110,985 times
We lived just outside of Bastrop for 4 years. The high school is pretty bad, drugs etc. The new high school is on the Austin side of town and probably a couple of years away.\, so depemding on location, your kids could go to the old or the new.

If you do not have to communte to Austin, you might look at Smithville, just east, lower prices, better schools.

Not sure where you live now, but research property taxes, humidity, etc. We finally sold our home and moved. We lived in Lost Pines, treed acreage.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:04 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
A friend of mine has little nieces that live in Bastrop. They love living there, but the girls are in private school in the area. Not sure where though.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
A friend of mine has little nieces that live in Bastrop. They love living there, but the girls are in private school in the area. Not sure where though.
There are no private schools in Bastrop. The closest might be east austin(maybe within 20 miles), Elgin (about 15 miles) or Smithville (12 miles).

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 PM

23 posts, read 109,065 times
Not sure why a previous poster has such an issue with Bastrop, but they are not accurate with some of their info. The district has made immediate changes to work on improving the middle school. Not sure what's going on at the high school, but I could find out.

There actually IS a little-known private school, although I don't know much about it. The new high school will be in Cedar Creek, where there's already an elementary, intermediate and middle school. Cedar Creek High School will open in August 2010, and in addition to the CC schools I already listed, Bluebonnet, Cedar Creek and Red Rock Elementary schools will also feed into it.

I don't currently reside in Bastrop, but grew up in the school system and have friends and relatives who still work there. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,438 times
Some neighborhoods in Bastrop such as ColoVista are in the Smithville ISD. I'm not saying that Smithville schools are better than Bastrop schools - but if that is what your research tells you then you can have the best of both worlds!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM

23 posts, read 109,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndrowsista View Post
Some neighborhoods in Bastrop such as ColoVista are in the Smithville ISD. I'm not saying that Smithville schools are better than Bastrop schools - but if that is what your research tells you then you can have the best of both worlds!
Great suggestion! And Colovista is really pretty.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnac08 View Post
Not sure why a previous poster has such an issue with Bastrop, but they are not accurate with some of their info. The district has made immediate changes to work on improving the middle school. Not sure what's going on at the high school, but I could find out.

There actually IS a little-known private school, although I don't know much about it. The new high school will be in Cedar Creek, where there's already an elementary, intermediate and middle school. Cedar Creek High School will open in August 2010, and in addition to the CC schools I already listed, Bluebonnet, Cedar Creek and Red Rock Elementary schools will also feed into it.

I don't currently reside in Bastrop, but grew up in the school system and have friends and relatives who still work there. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

Amazing how much you think you know and dont even live in Bastrop. I have 6 immediate neighbors all with kids in high school. They have classes in temporary trailers it is so overcrowded, books are photocopied for homework as not enough to go around, and every one of them complain about the drug problems.
But then again you would know more about it than me since you dont live in Bastrop.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Sounds like they did live in Bastrop, attended the schools, and have friends and family who work in the schools.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sounds like they did live in Bastrop, attended the schools, and have friends and family who work in the schools.

The key word is "did". Maybe you can sell them some property. I guess some people will honey coat reality and that is fine. Visit before you move. Don't listen to anyone else opinions. Make up your own mind.
Good luck with your decision and I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin