U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:56 PM

4,884 posts, read 9,346,664 times
Quote:
I wear suits every workday, and I find that nothing says more about a man's choices in life than buying a cheap suit.
Are you saying that even the once or twice a year suit wearer should invest in an expensive suit so that, on the off chance he is observed by someone who can even distinguish a good suit from a cheap suit, he'll earn the esteemed, if silent, approval of that observer?

What percentage of Americans do you think can actually tell the difference between a cheap suit and an expensive suit? Dare I say not enough to worry about?

If I wore one daily I'd probably share your opinion, but a lot of us Joes only don the monkey suit when required. The last thing I'm worried about is whether someone silently judged my Men's Warehouse suit at my Grandmother's funeral, or if a tipsy Realtor at an awards gala muttered "cheap suit" as I walked across the stage with my award.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 05-24-2009 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 PM

18 posts, read 43,626 times
My husband and I bought him a suit for our wedding at the Macy's at Lakeline. They had a pretty good selection, good brands, the alterations only took a few days, and several times a year they put all of their suits on sale for 1/2 off. So we got him a 500$ suit for $250.00. I don't remember the sales guy's name, but I think he said he'd worked for Macy's for like 20 years, so he knows what he's doing and he's helpful, not pushy.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM

958 posts, read 1,474,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Are you saying that even the once or twice a year suit wearer should invest in an expensive suit so that, on the off chance he is observed by someone who can even distinguish a good suit from a cheap suit, he'll earn the esteemed, if silent, approval of that observer?

If I wore one daily I'd probably share your opinion, but a lot of us Joes only don the monkey suit when required.
You do not need an expensive suit, just not a cheap one - I'm all for shopping around, and getting something nice on sale is great!

And, if you only wear a suit several times a year, you need to buy something that does not go out of style and which will serve different occasions (look at an American cut in navy or pinstripe gray). A good suit will last you 10-15 years...

Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,592,665 times
I will absolutely recommend JoS. A. Bank. I believe that there are several in Austin--there is one at the Arboretum and also one at 6th and Congress, I believe.

The Brooks Brothers outlets in San Marcos and Round Rock are also going to be good choices.

They are going to have very traditional, nice looking suits, that will age well, so you will be able to wear it again and again.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 5,995,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The above are very fine choices but $$$$.

I suggest Joseph Banks instead. Great service, traditional styles, and mid-range prices.

Texas Clothier is superb if you can spend the money. I didn't know there were Jos. A. Banks stores in Austin (may not have been when I lived there) -- they are wonderful. In Delaware I have bought several sports coats from them at very reasonable prices for very good quality. Further, their staff are extremely competent and very attentive.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM

247 posts, read 453,182 times
I hit up pretty much every place in town looking for a wedding suit and ended up getting one from Men's Warehouse in Barton Creek Mall. The person who helped me was the most knowledgeable person I had worked with and she got me exactly what I was looking for.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 5,922,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I wear suits every workday, and I find that nothing says more about a man's choices in life than buying a cheap suit. .
Luckily no one else in austin cares about suits..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin