Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM

648 posts, read 1,956,407 times

Advertisements

I was wondering whether you HAVE to be an agent to have access to MLS. In other states, it is not always the case.

I then started researching what it takes to be an agent in TX almost primarily to get MLS access. In many other states, if you are an attorney (and I am), you can often by pass most of the course work and just apply since most attorneys have extensive property law, contract law, agency law, ethics training. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Is it true you need about 2 years working under someone to become an agent??

My initial research seems to indicate that Texas has a rather strong real estate agent lobby.

I have a regular job I intend to keep and I don't want to sell houses for a living, I'd just like MLS access. I'm a really annoying client. No agent would want me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Yes, you have to be a Realtor. All lawyers in Texas are legally real estate agents, but unless you are a licensed Realtor (i.e. pay the Nat'l Association of Realtors and/or Texas Association of Realtors), you don't have access. That's according to my sister-in-law (an attorney).

Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM

MM- I read a statute to that effect, but it seemed to state this was only with respect to limited circumstances where you are already representing someone as their attorney in a transaction.

Wonder how much it costs a year to be a NAR member and whether any old Texas attorney could also be an NAR member?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Depends on what you mean by "access". Most listings are available at AustinHomeSearch.com.

If you want sold data, there are ways to get limited access to sold data near your home by signing up for one of the various "market snapshot" services that will send you sold info on homes in your neighborhood each month. I can't post a public link due to Forum rules.

If you are asking "who can become a member of "ACTRIS" (the Austin MLS Service)", you have to be a member of the Board of Realtors.

Steve

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-28-2009 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
Wonder how much it costs a year to be a NAR member and whether any old Texas attorney could also be an NAR member?
From the NAR website at:
NAR: Join NAR: REALTOR® Association Information Services, Tools & Resources

Quote:
If you're not a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®, but you'd like to become one so you can take advantage of all the benefits of membership — including accessing the member ONLY parts of our site, you must first join your local real estate board. Membership in a local association automatically extends your membership to the state association and national association. As a member, you are the voice for NAR — it is your association and it exists to help you increase your business opportunities.
So, you have to be a member of the Austin Board of Realtors.
You can find out about costs and requirements to join the Austin Board of Realtors here:
Join ABoR - Austin Board of REALTORS®

Steve

Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks! I'll follow the links.

Yes, I'm already on Austin Home Search way too much. Think I know every pending home in 1A and 1B. It is the final price and transaction history that I desire.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM

477 posts, read 1,574,446 times
I WISH you had to work under someone for 2 years to become an agent. It would eliminate most of the yahoos who decide to become a Realtor because their first career didn't work out or because their kids started school and they're bored. I think you have to be an agent for 2 years before you can become a Broker, but when I got my broker's license, I was able to apply college courses and get around that rule.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
MM- I read a statute to that effect, but it seemed to state this was only with respect to limited circumstances where you are already representing someone as their attorney in a transaction.
Sort of. You still can't buy or sell property (except your own) unless you work under a broker. But you can join the Board of Realtors.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,638,912 times
So what are we looking at when we going onto a realty site like austin realty or something and "search all listings" (where you can sort by criteria)?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 PM

You are missing quite a few details. How long on the market. What comps went for, etc.

So, you think I could apply to be an agent and credit many of my law school classes against the courses? Is it a pain in the rear to remain active?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin