Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

This weeks Community Impact Newspaper had a really good article on what is happening with the long range plans for transportation, including rail, in the Austin/Central Texas area.

Central Texas agencies develop long-range transportation vision (http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/news/4500-central-texas-agencies-develop-long-range-transportation-vision - broken link)

I was extremely disappointed to see what it said about the planning to improve the "Y" at Oak Hill and Toll 45 SW. They have been promising to improve the "Y" since 1981 when I first bought a house in Oak Hill.

The "Y" in OakHill, this is two seperate projects, Toll 290 W and Toll 71 W:

Funding Source: Due to budget cuts, CTRMA is expected to take over the project from TxDOT. The project could be delayed in the transition.

Timeline: The Toll 290 W portion is scheduled to begin in 2010, and the Toll 71W Project in 2011.

Toll 45 SW:

Funding Source: Due to environmental and budegtary issues, CAMPO removed Toll 45 SW from its Transportation Improvement Program in March. Funding will be determined by CAMPO after envoronmental study work ends.

Timeline: Construction is not likely to begin until after 2012* at the earliest.

*Edit corrected date.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-27-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: *Edit corrected date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
until after 2112 at the earliest.
Now THAT is long range planning (and a hell of a delay) .

From a very selfish standpoint, the bottleneck at the 'Y' in Oakhill is somewhat of a blessing for me. Most of the traffic is 'upstream' from where I join the main traffic inside of the 'Y', so any improvements would result in more traffic for my commute .

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Opp's, typo, fixed it.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,351 times
At least they widened that West bound lane into 2 -- that's been helpful. Not to mention the comedy of people straddling lanes with their cars not realizing that it doesn't merge into one lane any more. Shouldn't see too much more of that I hope!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Just checked out the link you provided. Good info, thanks!

Do you know where they propose to add the toll on 290? I didn't realize there was any toll stuff supposed to happen.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

From a very selfish standpoint, the bottleneck at the 'Y' in Oakhill is somewhat of a blessing for me. Most of the traffic is 'upstream' from where I join the main traffic inside of the 'Y', so any improvements would result in more traffic for my commute .
I will be thinking of you everytime I go through that bottleneck! !@#$%^&

Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Not to mention the comedy of people straddling lanes with their cars not realizing that it doesn't merge into one lane any more.
I've had this happen a few of times. Traffic Nazis. I just back off and let his control freak do his thing (it's always a dude). Hasn't happened in the past several days though. I think people are figuring it out.

I love Oak Hill, but the bottleneck at the Y isn't something I enjoy. Also I was talking to the jeweler in the shopping center next to Blockbuster the other day. He's closing and will be looking for a new spot out near 71 and 620. He says the clientelle just isn't here anymore, and the shopping center is "changing". Odd. The demographics in Oak Hill are solid, but I think the Escarpment/Slaughter shops siphoned away too many patrons of the old shops at the Y.

Steve

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Also I was talking to the jeweler in the shopping center next to Blockbuster the other day. He's closing and will be looking for a new spot out near 71 and 620. He says the clientelle just isn't here anymore, and the shopping center is "changing". Odd. The demographics in Oak Hill are solid, but I think the Escarpment/Slaughter shops siphoned away too many patrons of the old shops at the Y.

Steve
I think the shopping center will just continue to die out until they either do the elevated freeway (or whatever the heck they're doing with the road) or the shopping center gets a major overhaul and finds someone to take over the old Albertson's. I very rarely use the HEB there and prefer the Escarpment store much more.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
take over the old Albertson's.
HEB bought this property and have indicated that it will NOT be a new grocery store anytime soon. I think they are possibly planning ahead to when the highway is finished, but I also think it is partly to prevent competitors from using that property. Of course, when Albertsons sold their stores to HEB, I am sure HEB was required to take on some property they didn't really want, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: