Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by percula View Post

I am relocating with my wife, son and soon to arrive daughter to Texas. I recently had several job interviews in north DFW area which my wife and I really did like, but we are also considering making another trip down to Austin to check things out. Everything that we read makes Austin sound like the perfect place to be. I am a health professional and my wife will soon be a stay at home mother. The things that are most important to us are the basics: good school systems, low crime, etc.

But...we are also big on being outdoors, love scenic views and being near water (we previously considered base of the appalachian mnts in Carolinas) and like to live in a nonoppressive and clean area.

I need input to compare these areas PLEASE!!! Economy? Traffic? Housing? Overall quality of life? Pros and Cons? Just trying to pick the best place to raise my kids in a healthy environment.

P.S. We are not overly religious, and we do not think about football 24/7.

Thanks
Man, it is hard to compare the two as they are so very different.

I wil try as I am sure many others will and we all have our ideas:

Pros: Dallas area, will depend on where you are looking. I have a prferance but others will not agree. When you say North Dallas, are you referring to areas near Plano or more like Lewisville/Denton?

The biggest difference between Austin and DFW: DFW is more conservative and probably at little more into the burb scene. Austin is the most liberal city in Texas (probably) Both love their football, but you can survive without talking about it 24/7. Austin love college football, Dallas the Cowbays. You can bet most everyone,in either town will want to talk some football, but it isn't the only thing to consider/Neither will preach religion or push it down your throat.

Compared to many areas we have lived in, the air is clean in both cities. Both have good medical facilities, Dallas probably better but you would expect more choices given the size of the cities. Dallas has lots of man made lakes, Austin has a river. I certainly don't think Austin is any more geared to outdoor living than Dallas. You can get good schools in both areas.

To be 100% honest, if it were me, unless the night life scene or the very liberal life style was the thing I want I would stay with Dallas. Again, that is me, not everyone would agree.

Of course I would decide based on the job market and where you can get the biggest bang for the buck, as the living cost will be similar.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTXJim View Post
Austin is for you. I've grown-up in Austin and also lived 2 years in Dallas. The two towns are not comparable at all. Dallas has much more crime, traffic, and sprawl. Austin has more outdoors attractions and is much more laid back. Dallas does have more tourist theme parks and big city attrations like professional sports. Austin is more of a college town with some traffic but nothing compared to Dallas. By what you said Austin is the place for you. What part of Michigan are you from?
Oh come on, crime, that depends on where you live in Dallas, I doubt the OP is going to live in the inter-city. AS for outdoor life, same thing. College town yes, traffic during rush hour is awful, just like Dallas.

Nita

Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 PM

109 posts, read 437,185 times
Quote:

I am relocating with my wife, son and soon to arrive daughter to Texas. I recently had several job interviews in north DFW area which my wife and I really did like, but we are also considering making another trip down to Austin to check things out. Everything that we read makes Austin sound like the perfect place to be. I am a health professional and my wife will soon be a stay at home mother. The things that are most important to us are the basics: good school systems, low crime, etc.

But...we are also big on being outdoors, love scenic views and being near water (we previously considered base of the appalachian mnts in Carolinas) and like to live in a nonoppressive and clean area.

I need input to compare these areas PLEASE!!! Economy? Traffic? Housing? Overall quality of life? Pros and Cons? Just trying to pick the best place to raise my kids in a healthy environment.

P.S. We are not overly religious, and we do not think about football 24/7.

Thanks
I have lived in both places, north Dallas and Austin. I prefer Austin, hands down. Superior outside options, much prettier scenery, the water opportunities in Austin are better too. I think Austin has much more green spaces within the city limits. Dallas is more like a southern Minneapolis, IMO. Not that it is a bad thing, but Austin is just a better quality of life for what you are looking for.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 PM

648 posts, read 1,963,918 times
Do you have job prospects in Austin?

Both Dallas and Austin have their benefits and minuses.

One thing that REALLY frustrates me about Austin is the lack of direct flights to places I want to go. Having to fly through Houston and Dallas are a real PITA.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:56 PM

29 posts, read 98,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh come on, crime, that depends on where you live in Dallas, I doubt the OP is going to live in the inter-city. AS for outdoor life, same thing. College town yes, traffic during rush hour is awful, just like Dallas.

Nita
The crime rate in the metroplex is far worse than Austin. I'm not saying that there are not nice neighborhoods in Dallas that are not safe. I'm just saying the amount of violent crime in Dallas is far worse than anything Austin has ever experienced. Outdoor life is not even close. The lakes around Austin are much better and so are the parks. Austin does have some traffic but for the most part it is only during rush hour. When I drive around Austin during non-rush hour traffic time there is plenty of space on the highways. There are some good things about Dallas and I would live there again if need be. I also notice that the people who live in Dallas seem to love it. I do miss Ranger games during midday.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
To put it this way, the worst areas of Dallas are MUCH worse and violent than Austin's worst areas. The better areas of both towns are similiar IMO. Austin has some shady areas but they pale in comparison to any of the bad or slightly shady areas in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Most likely, you won't be too close to those areas so the crime rate issue shouldn't effect you too much. However, watching Dallas's news is unsettling as the first 10 minutes seem to cover crime.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTXJim View Post
Austin is for you. I've grown-up in Austin and also lived 2 years in Dallas. The two towns are not comparable at all. Dallas has much more crime, traffic, and sprawl. Austin has more outdoors attractions and is much more laid back. Dallas does have more tourist theme parks and big city attrations like professional sports. Austin is more of a college town with some traffic but nothing compared to Dallas. By what you said Austin is the place for you. What part of Michigan are you from?
False. Austin has less total traffic but FAR less appropriate highways to deal with it. Infrastructure-wise, Austin hasn't quite improved as much as it should for how large it's gotten. The traffic in Austin is concentrated on just a few roads and on these roads it's miserable.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 PM

29 posts, read 98,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
False. Austin has less total traffic but FAR less appropriate highways to deal with it. Infrastructure-wise, Austin hasn't quite improved as much as it should for how large it's gotten. The traffic in Austin is concentrated on just a few roads and on these roads it's miserable.
I agree with you on the infrastructure. Dallas seems to build the highway before the houses are built. Austin never builds the highway. My main problems with Dallas traffic were the amount of 18 wheelers on the highway. Also the amount of people on the highway on a Saturday. In Austin when I drive on 183 and Mopac on a Saturday there is no traffic to be found. Maybe since I don't commute in rush hour any longer, I'm just not so bothered with traffic.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 31,184 times
OK, thanks everyone. Here's another question....what are the nicer areas around northern Fort Worth? My wife and I drove around quite a bit and it seemed we had a very difficult time getting away from all of the power lines in the air.

Is there anything comparable to Frisco or McKinney on the FW side? We just like how clean it looks.

We would like an area that has a cute downtown, parks and a great school district in proximity to north fort worth.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
OK, thanks everyone. Here's another question....what are the nicer areas around northern Fort Worth? My wife and I drove around quite a bit and it seemed we had a very difficult time getting away from all of the power lines in the air.

Is there anything comparable to Frisco or McKinney on the FW side? We just like how clean it looks.

We would like an area that has a cute downtown, parks and a great school district in proximity to north fort worth.

Thanks
Southlake, Keller, Colleyville, Grapevine are northeast of FW, Trophy Club and Justin more north-central, and those are the nice suburbs in the area. They may be a little pricier than Frisco and McKinney on average, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin