Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times

Advertisements

Where are the best places to buy good mountain and/or road bicycles at a competitive price in Austin? I looked at Walmart (don't laugh) but the bikes there just look atrocious (oblong wide body shaped frames, etc.) compared to what I see folks cruisin' around on in town on (i.e. thin and neat).

A lot has changed since my Huffy/Murray adolescence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
There are many fine places to look at and buy bicycles in Austin.

The hippest place is probably Mello Johnny's - Lance Armstrong's "store."

But you could go to Bicycle Sport Shop for a wide selection of bicycles in all price ranges. Keep in mind that it isn't hard to spend thousands on a bike today if you want light, fast, and beautiful.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:58 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
I spent most of my time at Buck's Bikes and Bicycle Sport Shop when I was researching mountain bikes. I ended up buying a couple at Buck's Bikes, but both places seemed pretty good.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
You should choose what bike you want first, see what the MSRP and actual sales price should be, read reviews, what other people paid, etc. A good site for this is:

Mountain bike product reviews forums classifieds trails

Then visit a couple of bike shops as an informed consumer. They carry different brands, so where you buy may be determined by the bike brand... Canondale, Specialized, Trek, etc. Bicycle Sport Shop is great (but not the cheapest, usually) also Bucks Bikes, Ozone Bikes, Mellow Johnny's, University Cyclery, REI, Freewheeling, Sun and Ski... all good places to try out & buy decent brands. Sometimes the prices are negotiable!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
We've bought and serviced all our bikes at University Cyclery on Lamar and 24th. Who buys a bike at Walmart???

Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
We've bought and serviced all our bikes at University Cyclery on Lamar and 24th. Who buys a bike at Walmart???
You would not believe the number of otherwise 'normal' people who take their $79 Walmart/Target bike to the LBS needing a hundred dollars worth of tweaking just to make it somewhat roadworthy. Penny wise and pound foolish, as they say.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM

101 posts, read 383,661 times
I'll second Bicycle Sport Shop. Huge stock and knowledgeable staff. Also I'd agree that is very easy to overspec your bike. You really don't need to spend $1,000+ unless you want to seriously compete in a triathlon or some similar endeavor, but equally a $100 'trail' bike will fall apart first time out on the greenbelt. At the aforementioned store tell them exactly what you want the bike for and they'll point you in the right direction.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
My preference is Bicycle Sport Shop but there are many great local bike shops here in Austin.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Thanks fore suggestions! I'll check out these places.

I know bikes can go into the thousands, but I'm definitely not that much of an enthusiast, nor am I looking to race one in a triathlon.

Discount retailer bikes may look cheesy I agree (in fact I stated as much in my original comment), but I doubt they'd fall apart the 1st time on the greenbelt, you're being facetious right? My 18 speed Target Huffy as a kid lasted years, and I rode that 'hooptie' every single day all across town in the Midwest. Parks, trails, you name it...

Definitely not looking to spend more than $300. Do I stand a chance at any of these places or should I just go look at Craigslist?

I'm first and foremost a jogger so this would be primarily for leisure...

Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post

Discount retailer bikes may look cheesy I agree (in fact I stated as much in my original comment), but I doubt they'd fall apart the 1st time on the greenbelt, you're being facetious right? My 18 speed Target Huffy as a kid lasted years, and I rode that 'hooptie' every single day all across town in the Midwest. Parks, trails, you name it...
I've seen that literally happen on the greenbelt! Poor guy, his Huffy's chain was always falling off, and then the handlebars broke! This was his first ride on the greenbelt! Of course, he was trying to keep up with some more experienced riders on technical areas of the trail, and that includes some dropoffs, and rocky ascents.

I also had a Huffy as a child, and it held up well enough. I think they just don't make them like they used to. What you'll find all too often now at Target and Walmart are cheap bikes that LOOK like more expensive ones... instead of making a quality product with simple components, they try to load them up with full suspension, disk brakes, etc so they look like more expensive bikes. And as a result, they have to use incredibly cheap components, and they end up literally falling apart.

Quote:
Definitely not looking to spend more than $300. Do I stand a chance at any of these places or should I just go look at Craigslist?
Sure, places like the ones mentioned will have entry level bikes. Probably not much under $300, but right around that price you can probably get a good bike. If you are wanting an all-around bike for Austin (combination of road and trail), get a hardtail mountain bike. Like a Specialized Hardrock (Specialized Hardrock Sport review | Mountain Bike Reviews || SINGLETRACKS.COM) or Trek 820 (Trek 820 review | Mountain Bike Reviews || SINGLETRACKS.COM) or something similar. I'd spend the extra money and buy new vs. craigslist -- people on CL don't seem to discount enough to make it worth it. The new bike experience is really just too fun. Like when you were a kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: