Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnac08 View Post
I made the drive several times in the past few years and almost always took I-20 to 79, as the person above me mentioned. Once you're in Texas, 79 is much more scenic than 35.
I've driven it many, many times in the past 5 years also (lots of family in Atlanta). Oddly, if you enter a starting address in south Austin, Google Maps sends you through I-10. Start anywhere downtown or north of dt, it sends you I-20. I think there is about 3 miles difference.

I've never personally been able to decide that one is better than the other, but the habit I settled into was to take I-10 there and I-20 back. Mainly because an early morning departure heading north on IH35 out of Austin is a bad idea whereas by the time I hit Houston it's mid/late morning and no troubles. Coming back, I don't like hitting Houston at 5-7PM on the second day so I come down through Waco as mentioned by others.

Quote:
It took me 4 hours to drive through metro Houston on I-10 one time, because of the road construction. I don't know how bad it usually is, but it certainly made me think twice about choosing that route again.
It took me over two hours to get from Oak Hill past Georgetown once, so I have a similar reluctance about heading north out of Austin. I can handle Houston once I've put three hours behind me, but it's very, very frustrating to still not be past Georgetown 2 hours after departing Oak Hill. That really sucks.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM

151 posts, read 348,500 times
Default Cell coverage on back roads (Shreveport to RR vs Tyler to Waco)?

I'll be driving to Austin from Georgia and have a question for those with firsthand experience of using I-20 and then taking the shortcuts mentioned in this thread.

How is the cell phone voice coverage on hwy 79 between I-20 and Round Rock?

How is the cell phone voice coverage on the more northerly shortcut that goes from Tyler to Waco?

I've seen the maps on www.cellreception.com and wireless.att.com; what I'm wondering is how it actually goes when you try to operate your phone.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
I'll be driving to Austin from Georgia and have a question for those with firsthand experience of using I-20 and then taking the shortcuts mentioned in this thread.

How is the cell phone voice coverage on hwy 79 between I-20 and Round Rock?

How is the cell phone voice coverage on the more northerly shortcut that goes from Tyler to Waco?

I've seen the maps on www.cellreception.com and wireless.att.com; what I'm wondering is how it actually goes when you try to operate your phone.

Thanks in advance!

DW and I(along with SIL based in Madison, MS) have chosen the 79 route the past three times. Not a constant cell phone user, we have had no trouble when we tried calls along that route but can't speak to absolute uninterrupted coverage w/ Verizon. We would probably choose the Tyler to Waco route only if we were headed to points farther north of Austin. We're in Avery Ranch, almost directly west of where 79 brings you into the Austin/Round Rock area. It's a heck of a drive if you are headed into the setting sun either way. A clear windshield and sunglasses are your friends!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 PM

132 posts, read 496,996 times
I, too, have taken the Hwy. 79 to I-20 route and really like it. Cell phone coverage on these highways has always been good for me on the Sprint/Nextel network. Just pay attention to the signs for 79. It's not a straight drive; sometimes you loop around towns, and sometimes the route turns onto another road. It's always around or in a town, so just be alert the most then.

D

Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 AM

125 posts, read 293,905 times
We make allot of trips to Shreveport and Tyler from Austin. I35 to Waco. Hwy 31 to Athens loop.
North on 19 to Canton and I20.
Seems to be the best route for us. Hwy 79 has allot of small towns looking to raise money.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Theres some major highways out of Atlanta that hook up with I10. Just take 10 to houston and then hook up with 290 into Austin. Google maps shows the I20 route as being quicker but their I10 route goes almost all the way to San Antonio. I personally think the I10 route is quicker all things considered.

Last edited by orbius; 12-16-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
I've done the I-10 route and haven't had any issues.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:00 PM

151 posts, read 348,500 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin