U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM

104 posts, read 283,585 times

Advertisements

I posted in another forum and someone said it could be a carpenter bee. I think this is what it may be, as I recall the buzzing appeared to be from a single source, although loud, as it moved back and forth about a foot (between the studs). I checked several times, and I don't hear anything today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM

6,873 posts, read 10,853,435 times
Oh, I guess it could also be carpenter ants.. I have heard them make a buzz, but it's pretty quiet. When they are swarming, you'll see bunches of mid-size to large ants with wings, buzzing around rather aimlessly and hitting things, then mostly dying. I had them really bad around a window once. They come from nearby trees.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

28,753 posts, read 11,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It's not cicada's if it's in the walls. I'd bet it's bees and I'd call professionals!

Bees are a constant hum. Not on and off.

What is the wager?I'll put a $100 on it.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM

28,753 posts, read 11,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRockinite View Post
I checked several times, and I don't hear anything today.

That's a good thing!!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 AM

3,202 posts, read 2,651,916 times
cicadas make the sound:

..zzzZZZZZZZZZzzzz......zzzZZZZZZZZZzzzz....

at 2 second intervals. My money is on bees though.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,401,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bees are a constant hum. Not on and off.

What is the wager?I'll put a $100 on it.
It's tempting but with my luck, I'd be wrong and lose

Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM

390 posts, read 1,054,833 times
The way you say it starts and stops strongly suggests Cicadas to me as well. They are really loud and coulda been up high outside. Are you sure it came from inside?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM

7 posts, read 28,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRockinite View Post

Man, that buzzing is pretty loud. It went for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then the cycle repeats. Very aggressive sounding buzzing. Very creepy. Now that it is night time there is no noise but I know they will be active again tomorrow.

I guess I need to call an exeterminator - ABC Pest Control? I am also thinking I could cut a square out of the drywall and spray it myself, but I don't know.

Anyone else treat something like this themselves?

I went outside and looked and looked but I don't see anything there. There have been a few nests around my home however. I sprayed one today just outside my door - very productive those yellow jackets are!

Chris
We had yellow jacket bees in between the walls in our kitchen last summer- they built a nest in there after flying in a hole at the peak of the kitchen wall and the porch. Anyways- My uncle sprayed in the hole and then spray sealed it from what I can remember. Then the yellow jackets ate their way through the a few different places in the wall to get into the kitchen. We called an exterminator the next day.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 PM

104 posts, read 283,585 times
Default Hornets

Hi Folks,

I thought I would provide an update to the buzzing problem. I heard it again yesterday, and now very loud this morning and right now. I ran outside to check and I could see several, and what appears to be, hornets!!!

There is a gap between the wood structure (large gable in front of my home) and they are flying in and out. I didn't get a close look of course but I am fairly certain they are hornets and look just like the one in the attached image. I also attached an image of the entry/exit area.

I can hear them flying around from what it sounds like inside the wall but I drilled another hole and the sound didn't amplify. It's odd though from this hole I can feel cool air, perhaps from the A/C. I hope that doesn't mean there is a leak. However, this home was built to be energy efficient so perhaps it feels cool because of that. Perhaps the hornets are enjoying this cool, dark, place.

What's odd though is that the entry area outside is from the top of the first floor area and the buzzing I hear behind the walls in the bathroom is on the second floor. I will have the pest control find out where the nest is and entry points. I need to seal it up some how.

Gosh, those guys are busy busy! Nervous. Ugh.

Suffice to say I am calling ABC pest control at 7:30 am tomorrow morning!

I'll post an update for the curious.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Buzzing walls!!!-hornet.jpg   Buzzing walls!!!-hornet_entry.jpg  

Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 PM

205 posts, read 367,279 times
I hope they haven't done too much damage to your walls inside or get into your a/c vents.
I think you definitely need an exterminator!

Our new home has large covered decks and to our surprise last month when we turned on the ceiling fans and lights...we discovered hornets had made the wide ceiling light (which attaches under the fan) their home! As it was outdoors, and easily accessible for us, it didn't take much to spray. They haven't been back since!
It wasn't the end of the pest problems though, ants are pretty pesky too...I had wanted the property treated before we move in (but was outvoted by hubby and builder). There's ants in my new vegetable garden and some tiny ants got through a tiny gap in the corner of a window - which we've since recaulked and checked there's no other places for them to get in.
The joys of home ownership, always have to be vigilant.

My n'laws pay for an in-home treatment every three months, but I don't like the idea of chemicals being sprayed inside my home. So we prefer treating the outside - reduce the population outside, less likelihood of anything getting inside. We haven't found a cure-all ant treatment which is environmentally friendly yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: