Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times

Advertisements

I think you're all lying and trying to scare people. I'm left hoping the next time you sit on the crapper one is going to crawl up your ass and bite you good. Make sure you tell us about it so I can feel happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I think you're all lying and trying to scare people. I'm left hoping the next time you sit on the crapper one is going to crawl up your ass and bite you good. Make sure you tell us about it so I can feel happy.
Trust me, I wish I were lying. I'll take a picture of the scorpion currently trapped in my light fixture later and post it.

And thank for the toilet image, now I am going to be terrified next time I go.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Don't snakes sometimes come up toilet pipes as well?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I was down visiting when that occurred. I remember shopping at San Marco's outlets and having to step on them to get inside the stores---VERY GROSS, INDEED!!
My very first year at Texas State (then Southwest Texas State), I was living in the dorms, and it was apparently one of the worst years for crickets ever. At night, they were literally 6-10 inches deep around the bottom of the light posts around campus. It was like something out of a movie. And I had no idea - they didn't mention any of that in the brochures!

Thank goodness crickets don't give me the heebie-jeebies.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 AM

I detest grasshoppers, though -- which seem to multiply in really hot, dry weather and fly out at you when you are out around any sort of grassy area.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I was walking on a trail a week or two ago and I saw a tarantula just walking along! I almost had a heart attack (I'd rather be in a vat of roaches & snakes than have ONE tarantula crawl on me). My friend laughed at me.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Tarantulas are very cool and essentially harmless. I hope no one simply kills one if they are in the way. Capture it in a coffee can or similar container and relocate it.

Giant centipedes (4-6 inches, with a red or yellow head) are spectacular but not so nice to have around!

Scorpions just don't get to live long when I find one.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,609 times
Default not yet

Heh he , that's the one place I aint seen a critter ---> yet
But as for the rest of it. Yep, as a matter of fact I was stung again by a scorpion on sunday, flipping over a rock and just lazy, shoulda had gloves on.
This time much more painful than the other times, likely cause he was a bigger than usual one, and it hit my thumb... lots of nerve endings.. pain dulled to tolerable in about 5 min, completely gone in about an hour.
really nothing to worry about. The dumber part of the above is that flipping and moving rocks bare handed is a big no no in the hill country, could just as easily found a snake. In austin proper.. I doubt most ever see these critters.

Also think Texas is boasting a bit about it's snakes. I havent the stats but I suspect theres ALOT more -->Poisonous-->~ snakes in places like Alabama, GA, Arizona, etc. Central TX I think has an average number of Ratlers, but not so many of the poisions water snakes I dont think, thats more east TX, New O, Ga, Ala I think.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post

Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Tarantulas are very cool and essentially harmless. I hope no one simply kills one if they are in the way. Capture it in a coffee can or similar container and relocate it.

Giant centipedes (4-6 inches, with a red or yellow head) are spectacular but not so nice to have around!

Scorpions just don't get to live long when I find one.

UGH! The thought of KILLING a tarantula is almost as horrifying as having one walk on me! As much as I hate spiders... I don't kill them. I yell for my husband to re-locate them, heh.

In this particular case, I was in HIS (her?) territory, so re-locating wasn't an option. I just continued on my merry (read: horrified) way.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 AM

AFAIK tarantulas aren't dangerous to people. IME you rarely see them in Texas, though I recall seeing a big one crossing a the road one day as I was driving on a very quiet section of country road. It was big enough that I could easily see it from the car even though I was travelling along at 55 or 60 mph. I agree that they are quite cool -- some people keep them as pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin