U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 PM

254 posts, read 411,813 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been listening to Joel Osteen for a while now on my Ipod. I believe I heard him once say that his brother has a church in San Antonio. Is this true? Also, does he have a church in Austin?

Thank you in advance.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,042 posts, read 7,882,858 times
As far as I know his ministry is located near Houston. I don't believe he has a church in Austin.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:46 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,715,561 times
No, Lakewood Church is located in Houston at the Compaq Center, where the Houston Rockets used to play.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Thank you. I wasn't sure. I thought I heard him once say that his brother or sister had a church somewhere. I guess I will have to go to Houston to see him.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM

120 posts, read 227,659 times
be careful! He will have you thinking God wants to make you rich! It's not quite Christainity over there... just to warn ya!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM

1,091 posts, read 2,409,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
be careful! He will have you thinking God wants to make you rich! It's not quite Christainity over there... just to warn ya!

It's a rather encouraging sentiment, though, isn't it?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 PM

I never thought of Joel Osteen as a prosperity preacher. I think he encourages you to look towards God and have faith. Going through the economic issues that we are having now, it's nice to have a preacher tell you that everything is ok. If God can see you to it, then He will see you through it.

Thank you.

Dawn

Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 PM

120 posts, read 227,659 times
I understand that he is an encouraging guy, and I can see why people from all different backgrounds/ life situations like his preaching since it's pretty generic.

I just wanted to encourage you to be discerning when you listen to him, as I often feel that he does not adequenltly represent Christianity, all in an effort to be non offensive and sell millions of books. But alot of Christainity IS offensive and therefore not all that popular.

Either way, you could definitely make a weekend trip to Houston to see him from Austin every now and then if you like him. Godspeed myfriend.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,715,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
I understand that he is an encouraging guy, and I can see why people from all different backgrounds/ life situations like his preaching since it's pretty generic.

I just wanted to encourage you to be discerning when you listen to him, as I often feel that he does not adequenltly represent Christianity, all in an effort to be non offensive and sell millions of books. But alot of Christainity IS offensive and therefore not all that popular.

Either way, you could definitely make a weekend trip to Houston to see him from Austin every now and then if you like him. Godspeed myfriend.
Osteen focuses on prosperity gospel because of his lack of theological training. The business/profit aspect is what he's good at.

Of the prosperity preachers I've heard, few do it as well as Osteen does. And as far as televangelists go, he's pretty clean. High-maintenance, from everything I've heard, but clean.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM

622 posts, read 945,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Osteen focuses on prosperity gospel because of his lack of theological training. The business/profit aspect is what he's good at.
Considering his church is the largest in the nation, I'd say he's VERY good at that.

Whatever floats your boat...or fills old stadiums in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin