U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 PM
 
293 posts, read 451,548 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been listening to Joel Osteen for a while now on my Ipod. I believe I heard him once say that his brother has a church in San Antonio. Is this true? Also, does he have a church in Austin?

Thank you in advance.

Dawn
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,060 posts, read 8,232,170 times
Reputation: 4824
As far as I know his ministry is located near Houston. I don't believe he has a church in Austin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: North Dallas/West Campus, Austin
1,562 posts, read 2,874,073 times
Reputation: 556
No, Lakewood Church is located in Houston at the Compaq Center, where the Houston Rockets used to play.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
 
293 posts, read 451,548 times
Reputation: 106
Thank you. I wasn't sure. I thought I heard him once say that his brother or sister had a church somewhere. I guess I will have to go to Houston to see him.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 04:08 PM
 
120 posts, read 239,339 times
Reputation: 59
be careful! He will have you thinking God wants to make you rich! It's not quite Christainity over there... just to warn ya!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 2,516,977 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
be careful! He will have you thinking God wants to make you rich! It's not quite Christainity over there... just to warn ya!

It's a rather encouraging sentiment, though, isn't it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
 
293 posts, read 451,548 times
Reputation: 106
I never thought of Joel Osteen as a prosperity preacher. I think he encourages you to look towards God and have faith. Going through the economic issues that we are having now, it's nice to have a preacher tell you that everything is ok. If God can see you to it, then He will see you through it.

Thank you.

Dawn
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
 
120 posts, read 239,339 times
Reputation: 59
I understand that he is an encouraging guy, and I can see why people from all different backgrounds/ life situations like his preaching since it's pretty generic.

I just wanted to encourage you to be discerning when you listen to him, as I often feel that he does not adequenltly represent Christianity, all in an effort to be non offensive and sell millions of books. But alot of Christainity IS offensive and therefore not all that popular.

Either way, you could definitely make a weekend trip to Houston to see him from Austin every now and then if you like him. Godspeed myfriend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: North Dallas/West Campus, Austin
1,562 posts, read 2,874,073 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
I understand that he is an encouraging guy, and I can see why people from all different backgrounds/ life situations like his preaching since it's pretty generic.

I just wanted to encourage you to be discerning when you listen to him, as I often feel that he does not adequenltly represent Christianity, all in an effort to be non offensive and sell millions of books. But alot of Christainity IS offensive and therefore not all that popular.

Either way, you could definitely make a weekend trip to Houston to see him from Austin every now and then if you like him. Godspeed myfriend.
Osteen focuses on prosperity gospel because of his lack of theological training. The business/profit aspect is what he's good at.

Of the prosperity preachers I've heard, few do it as well as Osteen does. And as far as televangelists go, he's pretty clean. High-maintenance, from everything I've heard, but clean.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: 78731
625 posts, read 1,001,629 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Osteen focuses on prosperity gospel because of his lack of theological training. The business/profit aspect is what he's good at.
Considering his church is the largest in the nation, I'd say he's VERY good at that.

Whatever floats your boat...or fills old stadiums in this case.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top