U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 PM

71 posts, read 107,907 times

Advertisements

What community in NW Austin is good to live and also have good schools? All at affordable home price.

There are several communities I have looked at

(1) TwinCreek - There are some nice homes but I am not sure about the schools. Also I am nont too sure about the resale value
(2) Steiner Ranch - Good schools but too expensive and too far. 620 commute is bad.
(3) CanyonCreek - No new homes but good schools. 620 commute is bad
(4) Ranch at Brushy Creek - Affordable homes with relatively larger lots. New middle school (Walsh Ranch Middle school), New Elementary school and New high school in 3 years. Kids may need to commute longer to go to school. Resale value may not be high because of new construction.

Any opinions will be great.

Joe
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM

2,083 posts, read 3,842,013 times
I think Steiner is the only place I would call NW Austin. Isn't twin creeks in Cedar Park and Brush Creek is pretty much Round Rock.

You need to provide more info such as commute time desired, price range, etc.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM

My work is in Cedar Park near 183 and 1431. So I am looking at houses in that general area. This is why I mentioned Steiner Ranch, Twin Creek, Ranch at Brushy Creek and Canyon Creek.

Main Priority is (1) Good schools (2) Less commute (3) Low Price as possible (upto 400K is OK) (4) New Home Preferrable.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 2,940,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0109 View Post
My work is in Cedar Park near 183 and 1431. So I am looking at houses in that general area. This is why I mentioned Steiner Ranch, Twin Creek, Ranch at Brushy Creek and Canyon Creek.

Main Priority is (1) Good schools (2) Less commute (3) Low Price as possible (upto 400K is OK) (4) New Home Preferrable.
Cedar Park itself meets all those criteria so why not start there? You're lucky as the majority of people who live in that mostly bedroom community are forced to spend a lot of time and money commuting into Austin.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 AM

16,398 posts, read 22,640,409 times
You'd call Steiner Ranch NW Austin? I don't - and the MLS doesn't, it considers it to be RN (River North).

However, Ranch at Brushy Creek and Twin Creek are in Cedar Park. Canyon Creek is NW Austin.

Since you're working in Cedar Park, I'd go for Ranch at Brushy Creek, of the neighborhoods you mentioned. Have you looked at Cedar Park Town Center? It's VERY near 183/1431.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM

Default Ranch at Brushy Creek

Thanks for getting back to me. It seems that Ranch at Brushy Creek gets favorable response. I do have two additional questions.

I am moving from Pflugerville to Cederpart in order to reduce my commute and also have better schools. Do you think that Ranch at Brushy creek will serve this purpose? The House that I am interested in is in RRISD, Walsh Ranch middle school and Round Rock High school. The Round Rock High school has acceptable rating but I heard that they are going to build a new high school nearby.

Also Ranch at Brushycreek seems to have nice estate homes in 400K+ range. (especially Montery Homes). For the money I am getting big house. If I compare this with Steiner Ranch or Canyoncreek then RABC is a bit more affordable. It also reduces my commute considerably. Kids will have to go farther to get to the school.

I am not sure what will it be 8 to 10 years from now? Will the schools be good?

Your opinion is appreciated.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,374,312 times
Yes, it sounds like Ranch at Brushy Creek is a good choice for you. The drive to your work won't be bad and you'll be able to hit the HEB at Parmer/1431 on your way home if you need to. The Brushy Creek trail really is great especially since they expanded it. Both Nitro Swim and Soccer Zone are right there off of 1431 and the Williamson County Park that hosts a lot of the youth sports is right there off of Sam Bass. There are a bunch of outdoor things to do in that immediate area if you have kids.

Resale value is the only thing that I would be wary of, but in my opinion, if you don't plan on moving anytime soon, then who cares. You're not going to make a huge profit on most homes in the Central Texas suburbs anyway. If you're looking for resale value in this economy, you'd probably have a better chance buying closer to downtown.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Status: "Cool front coming...almost time for Chili !" (set 14 days ago)

1,918 posts, read 2,300,267 times
Quote:

I live in Canyon Creek. It meets all your criteria except the selling of brand new homes (the final sections built out a year or two ago.....thank god!)

The schools are superlative & the commute to CP is less than 20 min. in little to no traffic. (Even though it's inside 620)

Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM

The Ranch at BrushyCreek falls under RRISD with Walsh Ranch middle school and Round Rock High school. The builder told me that in three years there will be new school near by. What is wrong with these schools?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Status: "Cool front coming...almost time for Chili !" (set 14 days ago)

1,918 posts, read 2,300,267 times
Quote:
The Ranch at BrushyCreek falls under RRISD with Walsh Ranch middle school and Round Rock High school. The builder told me that in three years there will be new school near by. What is wrong with these schools?
I have no idea what (if anything) is wrong with these schools.

You had indicated that schools were your "first" priority & i was suggesting that the schools that Canyon Creek feed into are superlative (CC Elementary & Westfield HS are superlative....Grisham MS is probably more like real, real good).

Who is the builder & what school will be "nearby"?..... What grade levels will it hold? When will it open & what geographic areas will it service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin