U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM

14,443 posts, read 20,838,454 times

Advertisements

The statesman finally got around to posting a higher quality video of the confrontation here

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/multimedia/players/brightcove.html?bcpid=1459162514&bclid=1461295911& bctid=25859875001 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,420,146 times
Did she say? quote: give it to me, I'll sign it. end quote

In regards to the ticket?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:07 AM

8,633 posts, read 16,279,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So, its OK if he does it to your Mom, or wife?

If my parents were acting like idiots, then they brought it on themselves. They brought us up to take full responsibility for our own actions. My dad always told me that if those actions landed me in jail, he wasn't bailing me out because I needed to learn from my mistakes. I might definitely be upset if they were shot with an actual handgun, but tased, no.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 AM

6,847 posts, read 10,746,629 times
Ok, after further review of the video... I think I know what will happen next. The cop will resign. You can't face your fellow officers after a video like that -- it's worse than punching a 12 year old girl. Furthermore, no other law enforcement agency will hire him, if they recognize his name -- just too darn embarrassing, he'd be the endless ridicule of his coworkers.

So, end result, they both got what they deserved. She's got some bad judgment and a foul mouth, some day it may get her into worse trouble. He's not suited for law enforcement and needs to find a career with no "man code" so he won't get persecuted. Perhaps barista, writer, help desk, thespian or something similar.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 AM

Even after seeing this video, I still think she was confrontational. When he is still talking to her and she is inside the truck, she says she won't sign it, and to take her to jail and then pulls the age card before he makes her step outside. She does say right after that that she'll sign "the d***** thing". The ONLY part I'll concede ANYTHING on is that he probably didn't need to shout and shove her immediately after that. Afterwards, she did start provoking him. I think if she had just done what he said and sat by the back of her truck where he asked her to, instead of her constantly walking towards him (might I add, while he seems to be getting into the roadway) and telling him she dared him to tase her, then things would have turned out differently and another cop would have had time to get there. I think its just standard procedure for an officer alone to handcuff someone until help arrives. He probably wasn't really going to arrest her, just restrain her. I'm sure he had some adrenaline running, but that still does not excuse her behavior to me either. And it gets really annoying hearing her keep saying she's 72. Does she use that as an excuse for her bad behavior everywhere she goes and chooses to act up? She obviously was already on a tear before he pulled her over, and that aggravated her even more.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 AM

90 posts, read 180,828 times
Quote:
Yeah!

Seriously, no offense intended, but I'm not sure the infrastructure can support all the people moving here.
Such a shame that indigenous people didn't really nip things in the bud when they had the chance. I'm pretty sure more than one of 'em said something similar to what you're saying now.....

Quote:
Its going to be a problem, lack of adequatly trained law enforcement officers appears to be one of those we might expect more of.
It's only going to be a problem if the people of Austin choose to stay complacent and allow untrained law enforcement to skip around town tazing people willy-nilly.

Quote:
In addition to a housing shortage.
Right, but if that elder keeps actin' up, I can always squat at her place while she rots in jail for letting her dog crap where it's not supposed to or not signing a jay walking ticket....Anyone got her address?

Quote:
For the most part this unfortunate incident is rare in the area. All the more reason we are being so critical of it.
It's more than unfortunate...and as the OP said, the both of them weren't doing anything but embarrassing themselves and whoever raised 'em. *sucks teeth self-righteously*

Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 AM

In contrast to this case, the one that happened in Dallas with the football player going to the hospital, I felt like the cop way way out of line because the guy was being cooperative and he just kept on and on.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 AM

"It's only going to be a problem if the people of Austin choose to stay complacent and allow untrained law enforcement to skip around town tazing people willy-nilly."

They don't tase people willy-nilly.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:17 AM

4,636 posts, read 6,357,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I repeat. If the officer had not tasered the obstreperous grandma but had, instead, manhandled her in exactly the way that many here are advocating, I'd be willing to bet good money that those very same people would be complaining about the way he handled the situation. Simply because he's a police officer and that's their particular prejudice (prejudice is pretty easy to see, even if it's not one of the politically incorrect ones these days).

You're posing a hypothetical here that is really irrelevant to the issues at hand, which have specifically to do with the use of the taser gun as the first serious resort for restraining a physically small suspect who shows no signs of being armed with any weapon her/himself. There are, in fact, appropriate, skilled ways of imposing physical restraint in this type of scenario that could have been readily implemented in this specific actual event. Whether people generally prejudiced against law enforcement officers would have objected had these appropriate methods been used isn't relevant to the issues at hand. The answer to the hypothetical which you pose is undoubtedly as you have indicated -- yes, some people will object to any form of physical restraint by the police as a form of brutality and over-reaction; however, that's not the point here.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,420,146 times
Well, there is no point in argument with this for me. loveroses, if we were on a jury I suppose we would remain deadlocked because I would not change my position either. The police officer is not the victim here. She told him a couple of times she would SIGN the ticket. All he did from the get go was act like a bully.

There is no doubt she is obnoxious at times but she isn't the trained officer here. I also do not understand why people want to discount age. Something else parents teach is to respect your elders. The trained officer is suppose to rise above petty taunts. His job is for folks with patience, endless patience.

I've known some excellent police officers, and I've seen them in extremely tense situations. The good ones keep their cool and deal with their own feelings later. That is what they are trained to do.

And no...it cannot be compared to the elderly person at the Holocaust museum. There was a WEAPON involved there. When there is a weapon, all bets are off.

This was a swearing, UNARMED, Grandma. It's impossible to say she might have gone to the truck to get a gun. The fact is, she didn't.

Maybe the press will disclose those superpowers she has that she was threatening him with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin