Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, she should have to pay her ticket and face charges of resisting arrest. He should be disciplined for unnecessary use of force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I agree!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM

326 posts, read 764,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
It is a helpless cause, much like she is. Some people just don't get it.
and I would not bother any more.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
He should be disciplined for unnecessary use of force.
Describe the force he used, and the less forceful alternative that would have resulted in the woman becoming compliant?

I suppose he could have corralled her into "time out", preventing her from leaving the shoulder of the road while he waited for backup. Then we'd be looking at a video of four Constables surrounding a foul mouthed old lady and trying to bring her to submission without touching her. That hardly seems like a more favorable video to be making the rounds. Imagine the late night fodder.

I think the taser was the least possible use of force once it was determined that cooperation would not be forthcoming, and assuming the officer was not going to engage in a Mexican standoff on the side of a dangerous and busy highway.

Steve

Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
We shouldn't treat individuals differently, but apparently we should. It's not allowed, but if you don't do it, you get in trouble and splashed all over the news.

What irks me is that these news stories are always precipitated by someone behaving badly, often very badly, but instead of holding that individual accountable, first and foremost, for the consequences of that chosen behavior, it's the law enforcement response or reaction to that behavior that receives all the scrutiny and harsh judgement.

I know I'm not raising my kids to think like victims, or to blame others when their bad bahavior causes them unhappiness. I wish the news media and general public would call these things for what they are. In this case, a really stupid belligerent old lady getting exactly what she deserved, and an officer, confronted with this moron, trying patiently to do it right and resorting to what seemed like the next best step at the moment. I can't judge him, only her. She caused it all.

Steve
Apparently I have to spread the rep around before giving you more - which is odd, but there it is.

Very well stated. There's way too much of making excuses for those who violate the law while castigating those who enforce it these days.

If you don't like the laws, work to get them changed. Don't make "victims" of those who break them and villains of those who enforce the laws as they exist. That's just childish. (Well, maybe adolescent would be a better description.)

Are there bad cops? Yep, absolutely. Is this officer one, based solely on looking at the video without a pre-disposition to think that cops are wrong? No, he's not. He's a police officer in a bad situation with a belligerent and uncooperative perpetrator where either or both of them could be badly injured or killed by a motor vehicle at an moment due to the perpetrator's continued behavior (crowding him toward the road, trying to run around him into the road to get to her vehicle where she might or might not have a weapon, resisting arrest).

The way she kept saying "72 year old woman" as if that made any attempt to enforce the law "wrong" sounded practiced, as if she uses that excuse all the time and expects it to work (in which case, shame on the people around her who fall for it) and also sounds remarkably like the attitude of people who think that she wasn't the one responsible for the entire situation.

Breaking the law has consequences. Live with it.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM

330 posts, read 936,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If you think it's laughable that an unarmed 72 yr. female can pose any danger to a young, trained police officer then you may want to see what Ray and Faye Copeland did to several 20 yr. old men on their farm or look at answers.google.com (question: motivations for murder). Someone posted an excellent reply about how elderly can become extremely angry if they feel threatened and can be a serious danger regardless of how old the person they are angry at is. You may also want to read the story of Helen Golay and Olga Ruttershmidt. This 72 yr. old granny could have gotten angry enough to wrest that cops handgun out of his belt and the story would probably have a different outcome all around. Another possibility is that her behavior stems from Dementia, but we don't know that for sure.

You keep saying would of could of etc. she was unarmed and never did anything to threaten him .. and now his has officially lied about what transpired but you still thing she is the only one culpable!! I wish you would get real, beause if it happened to you , you wouldn't be so self-
righteous

Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Have you ever had a knife held to your throat by a Mexican gang member in North Houston? I have, so I know what that thin line feels like. You say I am saying woulda coulda a lot, but others are too. "What if she had had a pacemaker" "What if she had gone into cardiac arrest, had neurological damage." But that didn't happen either.

By the way, in the knife incident, I was smaller than this guy and unarmed and didn't provoke anything. Although the guy I knew that drug me to that side of town almost got his rear end kicked by me once we were out of there.

If you were the cop and that happened to you maybe you wouldn't be so self righteous either.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Have you ever had a knife held to your throat by a Mexican gang member in North Houston? I have, so I know what that thin line feels like. You say I am saying woulda coulda a lot, but others are too. "What if she had had a pacemaker" "What if she had gone into cardiac arrest, had neurological damage." But that didn't happen either.

By the way, in the knife incident, I was smaller than this guy and unarmed and didn't provoke anything. Although the guy I knew that drug me to that side of town almost got his rear end kicked by me once we were out of there.

If you were the cop and that happened to you maybe you wouldn't be so self righteous either.
good for you!!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 04:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
You are personalizing this situation. This has nothing to do with you or Mexican gang members. Stop personalizing. You are making mountains out of mole hills.

The cop was out of line, and incompetent.

The old lady was within her first amendment rights. She was not read her rights during the arrest either which is against policy.

If she breaks the law there is due process. You are innocent until proven guilty. A confession or non confession cannot be coerced in any way, that is against the law. Due process also includes a person in authority giving the person the freedom to all of their rights to remain silent, to a defense attorney, etc. This is not Nazi Germany. This is the United States of America. They have different processes.

Quote:

Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM

330 posts, read 936,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are personalizing this situation. This has nothing to do with you or Mexican gang members. Stop personalizing. You are making mountains out of mole hills.

The cop was out of line, and incompetent.

The old lady was within her first amendment rights. She was not read her rights during the arrest either which is against policy.

If she breaks the law there is due process. You are innocent until proven guilty. A confession or non confession cannot be coerced in any way, that is against the law. Due process also includes a person in authority giving the person the freedom to all of their rights to remain silent, to a defense attorney, etc. This is not Nazi Germany. This is the United States of America. They have different processes.

Sorry I couldn't rep ya again I couldn't of said it better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin