Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM

22 posts, read 92,418 times

Advertisements

I've spent way too much time browsing greatschools.net, searching forums and fretting about school data. Maybe you guys can help me.

We’re moving to the Austin area this summer. I work from home and my husband will be doing the long-distance job search/ twice-monthly commute while we sell our house up here in Seattle. We plan to rent at first, but really want to find a community where we’ll end up buying a place. SW Austin, Dripping Springs, etc. really appeal to us, as does Georgetown (and yes, I know this can mean tough commutes depending on where my husband finds work).

Schools are a determining factor in where we live. Our son will be entering 6th grade this fall, after spending his elementary years at a relatively small, academically-solid alternative school (similar to Austin’s Discovery School, from what I can tell). We have a daughter entering K, too.

Much like TexasHorseLady, I think schools are about a lot more than test scores, but it’s hard to tease out the qualitative side of things. I’d appreciate any suggestions about schools.

Here is what’s important to us:
  • Solid math and science program, since our son is really into severe weather/meteorology.
  • A school that works hard to build community and actively addresses bullying.
  • Teachers who are engaged and care about kids.
  • A school that encourages/values critical thinking (ok, I may be dreaming on this one).
  • A school that’s okay with parental involvement.
  • At least an acceptable rating.
  • Socioeconomic diversity.
On the other hand, the things below are not as appealing to us:
  • Highest test scores in the city/county/state. We don’t want to be in an academic pressure cooker.
  • Gifted/advanced classes, or separate tracked programs within a building where regular ed kids and gifted/magnet kids get different options.
  • Traditional sports don’t matter to us. We’re into stuff like skateboarding, martial arts.
I appreciate any suggestions you have for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
My three children have been through Lake Travis Middle School. It has consistently been rated Exemplary but that is not the entire story. It is simply a very solid school, with an interesting campus, and a student body whose parents are active in their kids' education. It is not significantly diversified but that is largely due to the surrounding demographics. It is however not all-white by any means. LTMS has a history of very good principals and good teachers. The campus itself has an interesting layout with an brick-paved outdoor courtyard. It was recently updated to slightly increase its capacity and modernize its science and theater arts facilities.

Hudson Bend MS is in the same school district and has similar qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin