Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM

48 posts, read 182,919 times

Advertisements

I just got a teaching job in Austin TX but before I can accept I have to pass the CAT 4-8. Is it hard and is there anyway to prepare for it.

HELP and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
It seems that you would have passed this exam prior to accepting a teaching job. I'm surprised that someone would hire someone without that certification. Not sure how to prepare for it, don't they give you that info when you graduate?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM

29 posts, read 98,988 times
You should not have to prepare for it now. You should already know the information to pass it. If you don't for some reason then please don't teach those children.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
well CAT stands for Computer Administered Test but there are a number of 4-8 tests you can take so you need to know which one you want. Grades 4-8 have generalist and content tests.

I was under the impression that you had to have taken and passed that test to get a job under the NCLB guidelines.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Are you in state or out of state? If in state, check your local library - search for books with TExES in the title. You might find some test prep books (much like an SAT or GRE test prep book) for the PPR test. I don't know how helpful they are; I have not used one myself, but have a few colleagues who did and their thoughts on the prep guides were somewhat mixed. You will also probably be taking either the Generalist 4-8 test or a content area 4-8 test. I don't think there are any prep books for those tests, but I am not 100% sure. However, there is basic info (plus some sample questions) at the main TExES site. These are VERY lengthy guides, so I would not suggest just clicking on "print" as soon as you pull it up - take a look at the guide, see if there is anything helpful for you, and print only what you need. These will give you a general idea of what type of stuff is on the tests and the format of the questions.

For the PPR test, you should have no problem if you have taught before and/or if you had a very strong degree program. When answering the questions, there will often be 2 answer choices that are reasonable. Keep in mind that they want the answer that you would choose if you were in a perfect world and also the answer that would take the most work/effort on your part. It really is not a difficult test.

If you are taking the Generalist 4-8 test rather than one content area test, you might have some problems on Texas history questions if you are out of state. (The generalist test will have questions on every possible subject area one might teach for grades 4-8.) Two options: 1) Look at the prep guides on the TExES/ETS site for any content area for grades 4-8 in which you think you might be weaker or 2) Look on the TEA website at released TAKS tests in those subject areas to see the questions students would have to answer - this might give you a better idea of what you would be expected to teach.

Good luck!

HappyTexan, you can get hired at the middle and secondary levels w/o a certificate if you have a major or enough college coursework in the content area (this is true at Title I schools - not sure if it is true at others). For all levels, if the teacher is experienced (so usually from out of state or possibly moving from teaching private to public), there is that HOUSSE way of qualifying without having a Texas certificate, but I don't know the requirements for that. Also, if you have an out of state certificate, some schools will hire you as well (they generally will want you to get your one year certificate).

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM

98 posts, read 295,260 times
If you look at other posts you will see that the person is bilingual. That changes a lot on a school willing to hire you without the test. But, they usually require that you take it before school starts.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Well thank you for the replies this site and members always give such good information.

I am a bilingual 5th grade teacher but my spanish is pretty rough I barely passed the illinois spanish test and I plan to get my foot in the door and go for another position next year in AISD (regular or ESL) especially with 2 new elementary schools opening up.

I interviewed for a job prior to the job freeze got the job, but they claimed that I wasn't highly qualified since I didn't teach prior to 05-06. SO they are holding the bilingual 5th grade job on the condition that I pass the 4-8 exam in San Marcos on Tuesday.

HAS ANYONE TAKEN THIS TEST.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Oh and I am taking the generalist 4-8 exam, it stinks that each test costs 120 bucks each, but whatever I will look at the TAKS test but thanks everyone especially BUFFY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin