Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 PM

11 posts, read 24,671 times

Advertisements

Greetings! We may be moving later this summer, waiting on the job offer, and I need some help.

We are a family of 4, looking for great schools (elementary for now) with an "easy" (30-40 minutes) commute downtown. My husband needs a decent commute to the airport a couple times/month. Budget $250-300k and would like newer construction with 3-4 bedrooms, active neighbors (ie drinks on the porch, kids running around the backyard, bikes, hiking & boating), near lakes and if we can get it, walking to non-chain restaurants, bakery etc. We are pretty liberal and currently live in an inner ring neighborhood where we walk to a lot of places and the idea of a "cul de sac" neighborhood scares me a bit but think that's where we are headed as the kids start school.

Can someone help me understand the big differences between Steiner Ranch, Circle C and SW Austin as I see those most often mentioned? Are there after school programs available & does anyone use them? Where's the best place to live to be near water? Should we add Lakeway to the mix?

I know that's a bunch of questions and I'm trying to paste together the answers from other posts, but any direction would be helpful.

Thanks! And we'll do what we can to "Keep Austin Weird" once we get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Circle C is a master planned community IN Southwest Austin.

By "newer construction" do you mean something built in the last 10 years? Or do you mean a spec house that has just come on the market?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
If you are looking for new construction, Circle C would be out of your price range. Meridian is an option which is 2 miles south of Circle C. It will be hard to complete your wish list of items though. SW Austin is not very walkable unless you try a resale home near the Escarpment Village shopping center in Circle C.

Construction just began on Meridian's elementary school, it's right in the subdivision which is fabulous for resale value and for proximity to your home. It opens in Fall of 2010 and is going to be an outstanding school.

Lakeway's pricing is probably higher than 300K. SW Austin has plenty of liberals but is probably more conservative but who cares about that. This is a wonderful area.

It's almost impossible to find everything you want in one area. You'll probably have to decide if schools are more important than living in a neighborhood that is only liberal.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,671 times
Thanks for the posts. By new, I mean 10+ years not brand new. We are currently in a house from the 1920s and I'm ready for new amenities inside & out. Steiner & Circle C seem very similar being planned communities. Other than location, what are the big differences? Our current location (out of state) provides most of the things I list except the 'great schools' and that's moving way up on the list as the kids start school. I'll prioritize:great schools, fun/active neighbors-neighborhood, outdoor activites, decent commute downtown, liberal (simply more obama than mccain yard signs), other transplants

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
You're describing a walkable neighborhood which says "downtown".
You're describing a lifestyle that says "Lakeway"
You're describing an education requirement that says "Round Rock"
Your're asking for new construction which says "outer suburbs in just forming subdivisions".

Sounds like you need to rent for 6 months to a year, explore and pick your spot.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwhmoving View Post
Thanks for the posts. By new, I mean 10+ years not brand new. We are currently in a house from the 1920s and I'm ready for new amenities inside & out. Steiner & Circle C seem very similar being planned communities. Other than location, what are the big differences? Our current location (out of state) provides most of the things I list except the 'great schools' and that's moving way up on the list as the kids start school. I'll prioritize:great schools, fun/active neighbors-neighborhood, outdoor activites, decent commute downtown, liberal (simply more obama than mccain yard signs), other transplants
If you're coming from the east coast, our definition of liberal is not quite what you may think. Even the liberals here are conservative by east coast standards. This is Texas liberal, not California liberal

Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwhmoving View Post

Great schools: SW Austin/Steiner
Fun/active neighbors: you can find that anywhere in Austin
outdoor activities: all over austin
decent commute downtown: SW Austin, Steiner is a bit further out
liberal (obama signs): again, you'll find that anywhere, SW Austin and Steiner are more conservative than the central areas. Perhaps you need to expand your budget and move into the city if you want obama supporters all around you
other transplants: SW Austin/Steiner

I agree with one of the other posters. You should come down and rent and see what you really want or what is important to you. You won't find all of your criteria in one area.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Great Schools == much more than just SW Austin/Steiner. There are tons of great schools around.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
what are the big differences?
There are none, really, other than location. Same builders built all the homes in these areas. Neighborhoods are all comparable. Schools all good enough or great.

I live in and like SW Austin because it's easier to get to more places from there than almost any other location in Austin.

Steve

Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Great schools: SW Austin/Steiner
Fun/active neighbors: you can find that anywhere in Austin
outdoor activities: all over austin
decent commute downtown: SW Austin, Steiner is a bit further out
liberal (obama signs): again, you'll find that anywhere, SW Austin and Steiner are more conservative than the central areas. Perhaps you need to expand your budget and move into the city if you want obama supporters all around you
other transplants: SW Austin/Steiner

I agree with one of the other posters. You should come down and rent and see what you really want or what is important to you. You won't find all of your criteria in one area.
We moved here sign unseen and rented in Round Rock. We liked the schools and the neighborhood so much we bought here. We got VERY lucky with the school and could not be happier!

At first, we signed a one year lease, so we would have time to look around and ask around about where to live, figuring on moving after the first year and trying a different area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin