Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,941,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Behind the businesses behind the businesses, behind the railroad tracks, and then behind other businesses. That's just to get to Metric, which along most of it has _another_ layer of warehouse/industrial/commercial before reaching any residential in Quail Creek.
Well sure, if you're going to get THAT literal, there are a few blocks of industrial/ businesses before you hit the rundown apartments and other blight in the Quail Creek area. It's still close to Burnet and the only thing I can think of that the previous poster may have been talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,959,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Well sure, if you're going to get THAT literal, there are a few blocks of industrial/ businesses before you hit the rundown apartments and other blight in the Quail Creek area. It's still close to Burnet and the only thing I can think of that the previous poster may have been talking about.
That's just it, it's more than a few blocks. It's 3/4 of a mile at it's absolute closest to _any_ apartments (corner of Metric and Rundberg).

Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 PM

207 posts, read 343,189 times
There are very parts of burnet that have abandoned/run down business and or homes. I've seen plenty of sketchy people in that area as I work throughout the area at times. I am not saying it's a scary place by 5th ward in Houston standards but I do think it's sketchy in that I wouldn't be walking down many parts of burnet alone at night. It's just not a very nice area in my eyes although I suppose Anderson lane west of burnet they are trying with the Alamo being redone and some of those sections are alright. Ghetto... That's Lamar.. Norwood..ED bluestein... Parts off of Cameron.. Again I'm sure there are plenty more but I'm more familiar with the north austin area. None of these areas are 5th ward in Houston bad.. But again I wouldn't walk alone at night down there, nor would I ever consider living in those areas.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,959,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
There are very parts of burnet that have abandoned/run down business and or homes. I've seen plenty of sketchy people in that area as I work throughout the area at times. I am not saying it's a scary place by 5th ward in Houston standards but I do think it's sketchy in that I wouldn't be walking down many parts of burnet alone at night. It's just not a very nice area in my eyes although I suppose Anderson lane west of burnet they are trying with the Alamo being redone and some of those sections are alright. Ghetto... That's Lamar.. Norwood..ED bluestein... Parts off of Cameron.. Again I'm sure there are plenty more but I'm more familiar with the north austin area. None of these areas are 5th ward in Houston bad.. But again I wouldn't walk alone at night down there, nor would I ever consider living in those areas.
Again, name them. What are the parts of burnet that have "abandoned/run down businesses or homes"?

Houses in the neighborhoods actually along Burnet are running _at least_ 300k each. If there are any that are abandoned, I want to stake my claim.

Edit: And what do you mean about the Alamo Village "being redone"? Are you thinking of the South Lamar Alamo?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM

207 posts, read 343,189 times
Maybe I was wrong about the Alamo being redone.. Thought the one off of Anderson ln was the one redone. I will give you exact areas the next time in that area. I know the Ross of burnet looks like it was abandoned 12 years ago. And I'm not surprised about the prices people will over pay just to live as close to downtown as possible. I wouldn't pay 100k to be anywhere in austin besides for along Mesa ��. But hey to each their own. Again, in regards to the abandon rundown homes and business I'll get back to you on exact locations. Also ohlen rd (off of burnet) has a dew I believe as does another nearby.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,774,738 times
I'm guessing he means the old Village shopping center, where the Village theater was before the Alamo theater replaced it. That center has changed quite a bit lately, with Cover 3, etc. . Anyway, I'd like to know where the abandoned, run down places along Burnet Road are, too. Is it just that they're not new and shiny enough? I've lived and worked in that area since 1968. It's never felt unsafe, except for a few convenience stores, but those are on Rutland. Even with that, we've had a business there since about 1993 and things have been okay. Ross is moving, btw. That may be why it looks abandoned. Chuck E Cheese used to be next door, before it moved to Arbor Walk. I'm guessing once Ross is moved, that building will be razed. Just a matter of waiting for the opportunity. It used to be a Kroger. I'd hope they'd put another grocery in, as people in that area are lacking for the grocery stores they had at one time.

Last edited by capcat; 12-08-2014 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's just it, it's more than a few blocks. It's 3/4 of a mile at it's absolute closest to _any_ apartments (corner of Metric and Rundberg).
You're being deliberately obtuse. It's an area full of blight and within blocks of Burnet Road. Actually, according to Google maps, it's approximately 2000 feet to the nearest apartment complex.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I'm guessing he means the old Village shopping center, where the Village theater was before the Alamo theater replaced it. That center has changed quite a bit lately, with Cover 3, etc. . Anyway, I'd like to know where the abandoned, run down places along Burnet Road are, too. Is it just that they're not new and shiny enough? I've lived and worked in that area since 1968. It's never felt unsafe, except for a few convenience stores, but those are on Rutland. Even with that, we've had a business there since about 1993 and things have been okay. Ross is moving, btw. That may be why it looks abandoned. Chuck E Cheese used to be next door, before it moved to Arbor Walk. I'm guessing once Ross is moved, that building will be razed. Just a matter of waiting for the opportunity. It used to be a Kroger. I'd hope they'd put another grocery in, as people in that area are lacking for the grocery stores they had at one time.
And a fancy pants VMU is replacing that Ross and and Chuck E. Cheese. No blight in sight there.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
anything north of 51st

That is some terrible advice, and a bit elitist too. Sure there are some rough areas along N. Lamar, but there are some real gems to be found north of 51st.

I am assuming you are not a local, and only came here to to go UT or something.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
Maybe I was wrong about the Alamo being redone.. Thought the one off of Anderson ln was the one redone. I will give you exact areas the next time in that area. I know the Ross of burnet looks like it was abandoned 12 years ago. And I'm not surprised about the prices people will over pay just to live as close to downtown as possible. I wouldn't pay 100k to be anywhere in austin besides for along Mesa ��. But hey to each their own. Again, in regards to the abandon rundown homes and business I'll get back to you on exact locations. Also ohlen rd (off of burnet) has a dew I believe as does another nearby.
Ohlen Road off Burnet is the Wooten area, and although there are parts of it that contain rundown apartment complexes that remain blighted, it is rapidly gentrifying and has become much nicer in the last couple of years due to its central location and the increasing prices of the areas closer to downtown. It sounds like you need to do some driving around and familiarize yourself with the pricing and desirability of the areas you're cavalierly describing as "ghetto."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin