U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,372,139 times
Default US Census: Austin among Top 20 Growth regions

verifying what we all already know!

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...=et51&hbx=e_du
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 PM

2,703 posts, read 38,028 times
From the link:

The Austin-Round Rock metropolitan statistical area increased its population 21 percent between April 2000 and July 2006 to just over 1.5 million people. That makes Austin the 19th fastest growing MSA in the country. In terms of overall numerical gains, Austin ranked 15th in the nation with 263,802 new residents over the six-year period.

The only other Texas metro growing at a faster rate than Austin is the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission area, which increased its population 23 percent since 2000, according to Census data.

The top U.S. cities in terms of percentage growth were St. George, Utah; Greeley, Colo.; Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.; Bend, Ore.; and Las Vegas-Paradise, Nev.

The metropolitan area with the largest overall population increase was Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, which added 890,211 people during the study period. Atlanta is followed by Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington (842,449 gained), Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown (824,547), Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale (787,306) and Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario, Calif. (771,314).

Old 04-13-2007, 07:18 PM

943 posts, read 16,404 times
I can vouch for this statement when a metro areas finds itself listed in the top whatever growth category, it means cost of living that becomes too high very fast, overburdened infrastructure, schools, roads, services, you will notice that when you move to one of these areas and just try to establish a doctor, let alone get timely appts, basically the place just gets way to crowded and traffic starts to take its toll on everyone. Its almost gotten too the point, its better if a metro area doesn't make the best list of anything. I have heard Austin listed as a desirable place to live for several decades though, I hope it finds some way to keep itself that way as it grows and grows now.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 PM

2,703 posts, read 38,028 times
Most of Austin's growth has happened in the past two-three years, too.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:54 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,372,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I can vouch for this statement when a metro areas finds itself listed in the top whatever growth category, it means cost of living that becomes too high very fast, overburdened infrastructure, schools, roads, services, you will notice that when you move to one of these areas and just try to establish a doctor, let alone get timely appts, basically the place just gets way to crowded and traffic starts to take its toll on everyone. Its almost gotten too the point, its better if a metro area doesn't make the best list of anything. I have heard Austin listed as a desirable place to live for several decades though, I hope it finds some way to keep itself that way as it grows and grows now.
I agree 100%. We moved here from Phoenix, which experienced explosive growth over the last 5-10 years and the cost of living increases were palpable. I think Austin is going to have a hard time managing this process as it's happening here.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 PM

4,771 posts, read 9,113,590 times
Quote:
Most of Austin's growth has happened in the past two-three years, too.
Exactly what I was thinking. 2001-2001 were very strong growth year too though, then we bled 30K jobs in 2002 alone I think. The real estate market was flat on prices from 2002 through 2005.

I have mixed feelings about all this growth. It good for Austin businesses but Austin is changing.
Steve

Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM

3,907 posts, read 5,735,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. 2001-2001 were very strong growth year too though, then we bled 30K jobs in 2002 alone I think. The real estate market was flat on prices from 2002 through 2005.

I have mixed feelings about all this growth. It good for Austin businesses but Austin is changing.
Steve

In 2000 I read an article about the turn of the millenium that was discussing peoples view on how austin changed. What they found is that everyone always thought Austin's best time was almost always 5 or so years after they moved here.

You move here because you like it, it keeps getting better, then it reaches a point where it has changed enough that you dont like it anymore.

I have been here for 10 years and as we get more traffic I get excited because more growth means more opportunities. Maybe Im weird but I try to see the bright side of everything

At some point maybe we will get some good italian restaurants and some good spanish tapas.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:08 AM

943 posts, read 16,404 times
Austin is getting a ton of publicity as one of the best places to live and find work or so I have heard anyway. I have seen it listed in just about every relocation magazine geared to every segment of the population, from young college grad, to people my age just reaching the retirement age bracket. I think it might be getting more publicity than it may want, and I am concerned it might backfire on the area like it did with Phoenix. I hope Austin officials and the population as well, are concerned enough to take steps to prevent the area from becoming another Phoenix or Dallas and on and on.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,955,943 times
Default So above, so below

I can understand the apprehension of long-time Austin-ites concerning growth(especially so rapid). The city grows, becomes something else...and then you can't afford to stay there.

But let me tell you, from someone who lives in Cleveland(on the bad end of that list ), it's no fun living in a city that's going down. It's downright heartbreaking. As much as I look forward to my move to Austin, I feel like I'm leaving a family member to drown in a dirty pool...

So I'm not sure which is worse. I'm a believer in slow, steady and smart growth. Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell",

Edward Abbey

Old 04-14-2007, 10:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 2,541,923 times
I love growth and change, but Austin is not managing its growth very well.... at all. Something will have to change and soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin